New PC build

LOCOENG

I've been trying to get parts together for a new build since the fall of last year and I've kinda put it on the backburner for now. So far I've got my case, RAM an ODD and a HDD. I think I'm ready for a PSU this month and then in the next couple months I'll get my processor and mobo and I should be able to slap it all together.

The PSU's I'm looking at are these:

Corsair HX 520 : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817139001

FSP 500W : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817104034

Antec neopower 550 : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817103941

I know which is the best and will probably will go with the Corsair or the FSP, but I just would like opinions or thoughts on the others I've listed or others that anyone might prefer. I haven't made up my mind on the mobo or chipset yet either. I know Intel is pounding AMD right now, but the AMD's are so much cheaper and I can get more for my money...although the Intel's are coming down more and more everyday.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went cheap and bought a 700Watt Modular PSU from Ultra for $99 at TigerDirect. Came with a free Ultra Grid case too that isn't too bad...needed a little work, but a pretty solid case. They have the 45nm processor there too that everyone else is out of. Got the 8400 Intel and the Asus P5N-D motherboard Friday. Went with 8800 GT EVGA for video too. Pretty impressed so far. The Intel CPU is much easier than AMD to install. Intel's CPU Fans have a little way to go though. Requires too much force and those little plastic pegs just don't seem like they'd hold the amount of tension. The 8800's are long too, if you don't have a big case you'll need to install hard drives first.

Edited by weisborg

Thanks borg, but I already have a case.

@chewy

I'll probably just use onboard gfx for the time being and get a nice card at some time in the future. For now though I don't really play any games so that isn't high on the priority list.

Onboard video and audio really slows a system down. That will be the biggest bottle neck other than drives.

Hmmm, not too bad of a board. I saw that when shopping. Main thing for me is no SLI capabilities and I do a lot of video editing and gaming, so wanted that option for a future upgrade. From the reviews it looks like the SATA ports get blocked easy by cards. The PCI slots are arranged kinda weird and odd combinations too. My other thing is not having too much onboard. Onboard LAN is nice, but Wifi may have went too far. If it was N and upgradeable to whatever flavors they come up with then maybe. I just never like buying too much combo stuff- TV/VCR, Phone/Answering Machine, etc...one thing goes bad and you waste 2. I had a couple motherboards with bad LAN and ended up having to buy ethernet cards anyway. My onboard on my new Asus seems slow too. It is supposed to be gigabit, but can't keep pace with my other PC that has a gigabit PCI card...

I'll be ditching my old BenQ and NEC drive with the new build and the only thing I'll be using the PATA connection for will be a 120 gig HDD for my OS, everything else will be SATA...which will still be XP as I'm not upgrading to Vista yet.

Another option is to get a new (perhaps faster) SATA hard disk as O/S disk and still use the "old" Benq/Nec and put the old PATA hard disk into the JMicron connector. I guess the 120GB disk is rather old and I never trust old hard disk to be running as main disk as there are some life time limit - so I always feel it's safer to get a new disk when I build a new computer.

:)

I guess the 120GB disk is rather old

It's actually still boxed up and unused. I bought two of these on the cheap a little over a year ago to upgrade my current system, but only installed one drive and still had this one laying around.

Seagate Barracuda Ultra ATA/100 7200 rpm 120 GB

I have a 750 GB WD SATA drive for the new PC already and thought this one would be just fine for the OS and use the big drive for everything else.

Is it optimised for CPU if so switch to Throughput Especially Nvidia Marvell based and make sure Switch is Gigabit as well (Sorry I know you know that bit)

Thanks Ascii, didn't even think of the device options, usually the defaults are fine and my other onboards didn't have that option. It was set to CPU, so I'll try it out again.

:whistling:

Something must be obviously wrong with the combo or I wouldn't keep getting the :whistling:

I'm not good with riddles... :thumbup:

4 x 1.8V DDR2 DIMM... I could google all day, but I'm afraid I wouldn't know what to do with the info when I find this needle. >_<

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.