New PC build

LOCOENG

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

probably cas 5 ram that likes 1.8, you are fine with intel if you don't overclock a lot and shorten the longer intel pipline

:thumbup:

you did good, if you had amd64 with onboard memory controller(short memory pipeline) then cas 5 would hurt performance

must be SIL this time

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....mp;Order=RATING

here are the ones that will most likely give you trouble on an aentry or older mid level motherboard from too low a vdimm

to get that kind of performance takes more power

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820227271

this will take a very good motherboard

now that makes me want to upgrade

Pros: EPP Profile indicates 3-4-4-15-2T at 2.4v but these modules will do so much more. They'll actually run those timings with 1T at stock speed, or carry CAS3 all the way up to 475Mhz. Was able to use 4-5-5-12 up to 560Mhz and my CPU ran out of headroom. They love the voltage but will overclock very high with tight timings.

Cons: 2.4 volts may not be available on all boards. Modules stay pretty cool at idle but when running high loads definitely recommend active cooling.

Other Thoughts: Half the price or less of some DDR2-1100+ rated, dual-channel kits

I looked at RAM earlier this morning, but I think I'll stick with what I have for now....like I said I can always upgrade in the future if I feel the extra oomph is needed.

Something I've never understood is the timings, my G.Skill is 5-5-5-15, but what does it all mean?

Since the cost of memory modules does not vary drastically between speed grades, we recommend that you purchase the highest speed you think you may need in the long term. You will save some money if you decide to upgrade you microprocessor later, all memory is backward compatabile as far as bus speeds are concerned. Also if you purchase PC3200 400MHz modules with a CAS specification of 2.5 and you run it at a reduced frequency of 333MHz it will, in almost all cases, operate at CAS 2 at the reduced frequency.

With all things equal, a stick of DDR memory capable of running 2-2-2-5 memory timings will make the computer operating experience seem faster than a DIMM which can only operate at 3-4-4-8. This is because the delay from when the memory receives an instruction, retrieves the data, and sends it back out is less time.

http://www.cooltechzone.com/Reviews/Memory..._20040725377/3/

...it makes a little sense, basically the lower the better...same with CAS latency.

I had actually already considered that one as it was also recommend by someone else...I think it was $24 here in the states. The CPU I won was CPU only so I'll definately need a HSF.

I had actually already considered that one as it was also recommend by someone else...I think it was $24 here in the states. The CPU I won was CPU only so I'll definately need a HSF.

Thats why I asked you . I assumed you knew it was OEM and therefore no HSF

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.