Help with Microsoft!

LIGHTNING UK!

I'm in desperate need of an unreleased hotfix from Microsoft but they're not being very forthcoming.

The hotfix solves a 20 second logon delay issue when using folder redirection / roaming profiles.

It's known as KB 899409.

It's available in 2 forms. One for Windows Server 2003 (I have that one) - which fixes the issue if you logon to the server itself (i.e. directly or via TS / Citrix etc). The other is for XP SP2 - which is the one I need.

People in Oz have said they've rung MS and been told they only have the XP fix, so I've tried doing swaps with people but they never seem to come back to he forum where I've been posting ( www.brianmadden.com - Mainly Citrix, hence why they need the Server 2003 patch).

The hotfixes are available freely, you just need to get the right (read: helpful!) person on the other end of the phone.

Hay boss, you got a link to this KB article?

There are no documents that match your search for "KB 899409"

I have a friend, (Used to be my instructor) which is now network admin for the school and might have this, its a long shot but I'll ask if you have something he can refrence it to :thumbup:

That's the point, it's unreleased! It's not on the normal MS support website yet.

The fixes DO exist though, you can download them (if you know the link) but they're password protected zip files - using a 9 character password.

Here are some links to relevant posts on that forum I mentioned:

http://www.brianmadden.com/forum/tm.asp?m=18206

http://www.brianmadden.com/forum/tm.asp?m=18357

The latter has links to the pw protected hotfixes (page 2 I think).

OK, I'll check with him and get back to you. But being Friday here and weekend coming up it might be Monday before I know anything :wacko:

Americans like long weekends and cheat on friday afternoons =))

WARNING: This fix is not publicly available through the Microsoft website as it has not gone through full Microsoft regression testing. If you would like confirmation that this fix is designed to address your specific problem, or if you would like to confirm whether there are any special compatibility or installation issues associated with this fix, you are encouraged to speak to a Support Professional in Product Support Services.

The package is password protected so be sure to enter the appropriate password for each package. To ensure the right password is provided cut and paste the password from this mail.

NOTE: Passwords expire every 7 days so download the package within that period to insure you can extract the files. If you receive two passwords it means you are receiving the fix during a password change cycle. Use the second password if you download after the indicated password change date.

Package:

-----------------------------------------------------------

KB Article Number(s): 899409

Language: English

Platform: i386

Location: (http://hotfixv4.microsoft.com/Windows%20XP/sp3/Fix155341/2600/free/236852_ENU_i386_zip.exe)

Password: $booqdVDl

Does this help...... :huh:

Just checked this out. Link does let you download a file from microsoft. Don't know if this is what your looking for though... :wacko:

Edited by kevdriver

Just incase it doesn't work, I've also downloaded the patch and am running a password recovery program on it. I'll let it chew on it while I'm at work and see what it comes up with. 29,000,000,000 passwords checked so far. LOL! =))

Edited by Shamus_McFartfinger

Just incase it doesn't work, I've also downloaded the patch and am running a password recovery program on it. I'll let it chew on it while I'm at work and see what it comes up with. 29,000,000,000 passwords checked so far. LOL! =))

Good Idea Shamus, This one I got e-mailed to me by microsoft support. Forwarded me to server where I downloaded the file and the password. Have forwarded these to LUK so hope all works. For sure these are the files he's looking for............... :ermm::ermm::unsure::whistling::whistling:

Wahoo, just tested the fix kevdriver sorted me out with on my vmware virtual network (mirror of the one at work) and it fixed the problem perfectly!

This really couldn't have come at a better time - we've got what's known as an 'ofsted' inspection on Monday (used to determine good schools from bad ones) and they'll all be so much happier now that the logons aren't taking 30 seconds!

Wahoo, just tested the fix kevdriver sorted me out with on my vmware virtual network (mirror of the one at work) and it fixed the problem perfectly!

This really couldn't have come at a better time - we've got what's known as an 'ofsted' inspection on Monday (used to determine good schools from bad ones) and they'll all be so much happier now that the logons aren't taking 30 seconds!

So I can stop this thing now?

Yea, some of the first passwords were 9 characters, now they're 6. Seems a password is generated for every download with random number of characters.....

&LUK, glad it worked, Anytime.

Microsoft should just release this, kinda stupid what there doing considering the amt of requests for this specific hotfix... :angry::whistling:

So I can stop this thing now?

Yup! Thanks anyway mate.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.