Building Data DVD: Alphabetical Order

Tom Saurus

I frequently use the UDF mode to put several video files on one dvd to play in my Phillips Divx Player. ImagBurn seems to write it all in alphabetical order and in alot of cases that is for the best. But is there a way to get one file to play ahead of the other files without renaming it to something closer to the beginning of the alphabet?

Enable the Sort Files By Source List Order (*) option in Tools/Settings/Build tab. That way the files will be burnt in the same order as they are in the Source list of ImgBurn's Build mode.

LIGHTNING UK!: The Phillips has a panel that list the names of the videos files on it, but so far I have experienced that it is in alphabetical order. I sometimes just like to let it play the files and then the Phillips picks the next one in line to play after I am finished watching the first one. If you had a file that you wanted to play first. lets say for example it is the oldest file and there was a file that was a sequel or such, to my experienced so far is that you would have to rename the older file to something that is nearest to the beginning of the alphabet for it to play first. If you had many video clips that were short in length you could put quite a few on one disc and the menu panel only displays 4 files at a time and then you press an arrow to get to the next screen. So having certain files playing in the order you want can come in handy, especially if it came to mp3 or such.

If it lists them alphabetically then that option in the settings won't do anything for you. It's to do with their physical placement on the disc.

They're always put in the file system in alphabetical order, that's part of the file system specs.

I have a Philips DVP642K that also lists files alphabetically, and the workaround I found that preserves the most of the original names, was numbering them like this:

001-The.Biography.Channel.Hollywoods.10.Best.Sexy.Sirens.PDTV.XviD-FTP.avi
002-Playboy.Playmate.Video.Kalender.2008.DVDRiP.XViD-DARM.avi
003-Worlds.Sexiest.Nude.Women.2007.PPV.DSRip.XviD-aAF.avi
004-Wild.Things.1998.UNRATED.DVDRiP.XViD-FRAGMENT.avi
005-Wild.Things.2.2004.WS.DVDRip.XviD.iNT-EwDp.avi
006-Wild.Things.3.2005.WS.DVDRip.XviD.iNT-EwDp.avi

:pirate2::pirate::whistling:

• 1 year later...

Sorry for reviving this old post but I think it belongs to the same topic

I'm interested in the sort function but I don't quite understand what the sentence in asterisk means ? :innocent:

"excludes mixing files/folders in the root directory"

Also, does it work for subfolders & files inside the subfolders?

Basically, if your source box looks like this:

File1

File3

File2

Folder3

Folder1

Folder2

File4

Folder4

It'll end up looking like this on the disc:

File1

File3

File2

File4

Folder3

Folder1

Folder2

Folder4

That's to say, the files in the root folder will always be positioned physically before files in subfolders.

Yes, it works for subfolders & files inside the subfolders. i.e. anything inside Folder3 will come before anything inside Folder1.

Basically, if your source box looks like this:

Yes, it works for subfolders & files inside the subfolders. i.e. anything inside Folder3 will come before anything inside Folder1.

Thank you for the info. :thumbup:

I think I messed up a few discs but fortunately not too many.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.