boot disk question

anvil

I hope this is the right place for this question..

Can I make a boot disk for Partition Magic with ImgBurn? Can I put the two floppys required on a single bootable cd or dvd,,and have it work the same as the two floppies?

Thanks,,

anvil

Edited by anvil

As usual, Lightening UK is correct. I did this a few weeks back and just did it again today when I saw this question to verify my steps before posting. I highly recommend using a CD-RW until you get the result that you want, unless you host the gang for beers and are in constant need of beer mats. :)

- create a PQMAGIC directory on your machine, perhaps under your Temp directory

- copy the contents of both floppies, including hidden and system files to the PQMAGIC directory, preserving the directory structure of the disks

- download Winimage, and create a new 2.88MB image file project

- inject the contents of the PQMAGIC directory and save the file as pqboot.ima

- Run ImgBurn and Write files/folders to disc

- switch to Device Output and set your destination to your appropriate drive if you have more than one CD/DVD output

- on the Advanced tab, set the Bootable Disc sub-tab Make Image Bootable check box to On, select the Emulation Type as Floppy Disk (2.88 MB) and browse to the pqboot.ima file created in the steps above.

- in the build queue, you will need to supply a file or files to be written to the disc, which can be other utilities that you may want to use in the Windows environment as they will not be available outside of the pqboot.ima environment. So having just Partition Magic on there is a bit of a waste when you could have some other things on there which were accesible in Windows.

If you have any further questions, let me know, and Lightening UK, if this is too off topic then I am happy to take this as a PM. Just tell us so in a post.

Regards

@anvil

What version of Partition Magic are you using?

I was able to squeeze Partition Magic 8.01 (if I remember correctly) on a single floppy (I think I removed help and other unnecessary stuff). Actually, it's a 1.01 MB gzip compressed image file I use with isolinux boot loader and memdisk disk emulation program for multi-boot cds I create.

Win2000 has a set of 4 setup boot floppies and XP has a set of 6 setup boot floppies for use in reinstalling the operating system. I am wondering if you could use this method to create a bootable CD from the set of floppies?

Why would you do that? You do not need floppies to create bootable Windows cd, just a boot loader that will load the operating system from cd. You can extract it from the original media, or you can download it from the internet. nLite has it included in it's distribution package.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.