Bullet photography

Shamus_McFartfinger

reminds me of when we were going to the firing range in the military they showed us a steel helmet that was shot by a 30-30 a .30 odd 6 and an M-16 round a .223 the .223 because of its tumbling action blew a hole in the back of the helmet that was unreal a large jagged hole .The .22 because of their light weight will penetrate and then when they hit bone are deflected off in another direction get hit in the shoulder and they can find the fragments in your thigh .The .50 cal is really for going through steel, walls, trucks anything .I got to fire a stoner .50 cal rifle all I can say is amazing

Reminds me of the Mythbusters episode 34 where they shoot various guns into the water to see if diving underwater can help you survive being shot at.

They used

• replica civil war rifle
  • 9mm pistol
  • M1 Carbine
  • Shotgun
  • 50 calibre rifle

Surprisingly (for we gun ignorant people), it seemed the higher the velocity the better chance of survival, as the water shatters the higher speed bullets upon impact. :o

Reminds me of the Mythbusters

I never miss an episode. Great show. :)

They used
  • replica civil war rifle
  • 9mm pistol
  • M1 Carbine
  • Shotgun
  • 50 calibre rifle

Surprisingly (for we gun ignorant people), it seemed the higher the velocity the better chance of survival, as the water shatters the higher speed bullets upon impact. :o

Yeah. I'm the same (gun ignorant, that is). Impressive stuff. A person wouldn't think a shell that can pierce a tank at half a mile (the 50mm gun) could be stopped by just 18 inches of water. Very impressive.

Its a wonder anyone survives those kinds of shots isn't it ? :o

As noted above, I'm totally gun ignorant. I'd be guessing that it wouldn't matter where you got hit with the 50mm or the M1 - you'd still be dead. <shrug> Even a blank round from a 9mm pistol can blow the bark off a tree.

I am not big on guns either Shamus - its against the law to own most kind of guns here, I only ever seem in documentary's or films oh and the odd PS2 game.....

I don't think thats a particular disadvantage however, I wouldn't want to be shot by any type of bullet.....

I am not big on guns either Shamus - its against the law to own most kind of guns here, I only ever seem in documentary's or films oh and the odd PS2 game.....

I don't think thats a particular disadvantage however, I wouldn't want to be shot by any type of bullet.....

I wouldn't want to get shot either but I definetly would want to be able to shoot back if I was being shot at. Like you say LFC most guns are against the law in the UK but on many trips there I saw plenty of shotguns and they should do a test to see what a .12 gauge shotgun with double aught buckshot or a slug will do ,the double aught shot has 9 X .32 caliber pellets and the slug weighs 1 1/8 ounces either of which will really ruin your day

the double aught shot

Although impressive when fired at a deer or paper target it has been shown that it can be stopped by a high end ($) down filled vest, hense the change in law enforcement to # 4 buck, which is .22 cal and will shred a down filled vest as well as it's wearer. ;)

Prior to the 1964 Gun Control Act, gun ownership in the States was not controlled at a National level and it is estimated at over 16 million unliscensed weapons are still around...the laws passed since then are in place to placate the masses, not to control a damned thing. :/

Sounds like attempts at control are gonna be a little too late for you guys then spinner ?

Yeah, they tried the same shit here in Australia, it's just one big wank job in my opinion.

I have been a firearm owner for over 30 years, the one thing that people need to remember is that a firearms like most things is just a tool, it's the idiot behind it is what needs to be controlled.

Sounds like attempts at control are gonna be a little too late for you guys then spinner ?

Yup LFC, too little and waaaayyyyy too late. It becomes a popular subject around election time...or during a mass shooting incident....then it fades away until someone in the news decides to polish it up again. :/

it's the idiot behind it is what needs to be controlled.

I agree Ken...but we've got kids killing kids here and it's unfortunate that we're just starting to prosecute the parents for letting their 'toys' lay around.

Mine are in storage and I haven't even looked at them in the last 2 years at least...I did such a good job of locking them in their closet that it takes too damned long to get them out ... have to take the doors off... ;)

I agree Ken...but we've got kids killing kids here and it's unfortunate that we're just starting to prosecute the parents for letting their 'toys' lay around.

That is indeed unfortunate Spinner, when you consider the 100's of 1000's people that own firearms and treat them with great care and responsibility (like yourself) just confirms my thoughts about controlling the person rather than the firearm and indeed some proper training should the person be fit enough to own one in the first place.

What I get angry about, is the fact once in a while some idiot goes nuts and decides to go on a shooting spree, the authorities immediately react and put a 100,000 firearm owners in the same category.

consider this, I'm a fu***n idiot that one day decide to go out and kill some people just for the hell of it, (most shootings in Australia have been this way), guns are banned and I can't get one, so I jump in my car go to a busy city street, mount the footpath and kill say 30 people.

Would the authorities consider banning cars? To be quite honest, if I was F****d in the head, I could do far more damage with a vehicle (think of a semi trailer) an 18 wheeler I think you guys call them, than I could ever do with a firearm.

(Rant mode ON)

I agree Ken, the argument here is the same. If I use a kitchen knife, baseball bat or gas pipe would they all get banned? I think not.

As gun owners I believe that we DO have the ultimate responsibility for our weapons, I just do not believe that we are to blame every time some asshole goes beserk and shoots up a McDonalds, school house or college. I believe the parents that loose control of their weapons, regardless of the situation, are the ones that need to share the blame and consequences for what happens when their possession harms someone else. Not to say that the shooter is a 'victim' or is blameless, quite the contrary, I believe that, within reason, if any human uses a firearm to do harm to person or property they are the responsible actor and there should be no second chance. With the proliferation of Talon, Devastator or any other round made to inflict maximum damage to the human body, not to underestimate the effectiveness of the venerable wad-cutter, semi-wadcutter, Hydroshock, Semi-jacketed, hollow point and full metal jacketed rounds that are available for use; anyone using it needs to pay the price for its unjustified usage.

(Rant mode OFF)

Just to add an old saying, which I'm sure you guys are aware of: Guns don't kill people, people kill people. It is unfortunate that the actions of a few set the stereo typing for the majority. :( I personally don't own a firearm, although I do possess a F.A.C. ( firearms acquistion certicicate) which enables me to legally purchase a firearm if I so desire. I do have friends that own firearms who are responsible owners and handle and store their guns properly and in a safe manner. In Canada too, these responsible owners are being over shadowed by the random, thoughtless acts of those who choose to use firearms in senseless acts........ be it random shootings, robberies, or letting accesss become available to them because of careless storage or plain ignorance of gun safety. :angry:

Its really too bad that the acts of a few can affect the acts of so many. :(

Edited by kevdriver

All good and valid points, so I'll finish off with this.

I love my firearms and all the stuff that goes with it, reloading my own ammunition etc.

I get a big kick out of achieving a 2" grooping or better at 200 yards. :blink:

So for as long as my arse is pointing to the ground, I will never give up my right to own a firearm, regardless of what laws they introduce.

They can come and get me now. :whistling:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.