Burning srt (subtitle) files with avi on dvd rw

sfernan

Hey guys,

I am using a philips dvd 642 player and tried to play an avi file with srt subtitles. The srt files displays ? next to the file. I did a search on here and found another user having a similar isssue that was fixed by changing file system to ISO9660 + Joliet. I did that as well but I have the same issue. All my other settings are default. Is there another fix that I am not aware of.

Once again , forgive me if the solution is already posted somewhere on this forum.

BTW, if this issue is fixed or not, I think IMGBURN is the best and only software I will ever use. Absolutely rocks!

Edited by sfernan

I have that DVD player and everytime this has happened with me it was a problem with the subtitle file. Open the subtitle with Notepad and it should be similar to this:

00:00:03,000 --> 00:00:05,650

DESESPERO

DE STEPHEN KING

00:02:03,800 --> 00:02:05,320

LIMITE DE VELOCIDADE

00:02:05,630 --> 00:02:07,330

A ESTRADA MAIS

SOLIT

I have that DVD player and everytime this has happened with me it was a problem with the subtitle file. Open the subtitle with Notepad and it should be similar to this:

00:00:03,000 --> 00:00:05,650

DESESPERO

DE STEPHEN KING

If the file doesn't start with number 0 or 1 the player doesn't recognize it as a subtitle. If yours is incorrectly numbered, you might want to use Subtitle Workshop to fix it.

Thanks mmalves...i checked a couple of these srt files and they start with 1. Maybe I should have mentioned that I used to burn with Nero before and did not have this issue. Then I learned that the new imgburn can now burn an avi file compilation and since I am a big fan of this program, i decided that i want to dump nero.

You're going to need to tell me the exact file names as displayed on a working and non working disc - both containing the same content.

Only then can we see what it might be.

Ideally we need to see the ISO9660 names and the Joliet ones - you could use IsoBuster to get/show this information. It'll output the filenames to a text file.

You're going to need to tell me the exact file names as displayed on a working and non working disc - both containing the same content.

Only then can we see what it might be.

Ideally we need to see the ISO9660 names and the Joliet ones - you could use IsoBuster to get/show this information. It'll output the filenames to a text file.

Hi LUK,

I could not get you the information requested. However, I used CDburner XP and had the same issue. (I had uninstalled nero a couple months ago). Then I burned the same set of files using CDburner but chose ISO9660 without Joliet or UDF. This time the srt files loaded up correctly. I will try doing this with Imgburn and will post my results.

Thanks

Ok I have tried adding a few avi files in IMGburn along with their srt files. Changed the file system to ISO9660 instead of the default ISO9660 + udf. It was successful in recognizing the srt files this time.

I dont know much about ISO/Joilet/UDF file systems. I have always burned dvd images in imgburn with default settings. This is the first time I have burned srt files and stumbled across this issue. Do I have to change back to ISO+udf for proper dvd images?

Edited by sfernan

Do I have to change back to ISO+udf for proper dvd images?

That's only needed for DVD-Video (e.g. VIDEO_TS/IFOs/VOBs/BUPs) discs. Anyway, when you've added DVD-Video content the the Build mode, ImgBurn checks your settings and asks you if anything is wrong :thumbup:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.