Getting "Write Error" every time now??

degas

First time caller, long time watcher. :)

I recently bought a new drive; Nec 4551, which was working fine until just now.

I (think/hope) the problems started when I did a clean installation of XP SP2. After that almost all of my burns are coasters.

I have been getting the "Power Calibration" error, but also "Write Error".

What happens is that, it most often fails to burn, just (or shortly) after the lead in.

The speed is then very slow (like 0.4x), and then the error shows.

I've tried different media (all Verbatim but different types and speeds - dvd+r/dvd-r/dvd-rw).

I have tried other burning apps (Nero, Decrypter), but same failures.

I have swiched the cable to the burner, installed/re-installed different firmwares etc.

My power supply is a solid Antec, which I don't think is the problem.

Attaching 2 log files, one from yesterday (ImgBurn_1) and one from today (ImgBurn_2) .

So, I have no idea what to do, and hope someone here can be of help.

ImgBurn_2.log

[edit] The file ImgBurn_1 is not attached since it accidently became a duplicate of the other one [/edit]

Edited by degas

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently had a very similar problem, just after I let my Musicmatch Jukebox install a new plugin, which was video based (visualizations). I uninstalled the jukebox and everything was back to normal, so I installed an earlier version for now. I haven't found the time to make it a priority over burning, so I haven't bothered with it since,

Maybe it has something to do with Windows media player. Check your restore points to see if you have any good ones since your new install and maybe give them a try.

Have you messed with the firmware on your drive?

Power calibration errors are where the drive cant decided on the correct power lever to set the laser at for burning. That is most certainly a firmware issue.

On the odd occassion it does get an ok (ish) level, it's still not good enough and that's why you're getting write errors.

Stick with the official NEC firmware, at least then you can blame them when things go wrong!

@crockettman

Thanks, I have supectable programs like iTunes, Daemon and Mediaplayer 10.

@LIGHTNING UK!

Well, yes. A week or so (before the re-installation of XP) I installed the Liggy/Dee fw. Worked fine with all burning apps until the re-install.

Now, since these errors I have flashed back to the original fw just to check but it doesn't help.

But they are not always Power Calibration Errors, as often they're "just" Write Errors (but all the same just after the Lead In).

Well these errors are supposed to come directly from the drive. It seems very odd that some other program should be intercepting them and returning a bogus one!

Have you tried using one of the other I/O interfaces?

They may help you bypass whatever is causing the problem (if it's driver related).

Otherwise I guess you have no choice but to rebuild again and test burn something before adding any programs back on.

Maybe your IDE drivers (or lack of) are to blame... who knows!

Thanks for the help.

No, I haven't tried any other I/O, will do. But I get the same error in Nero, and it uses another one I think? But I will try.

Yes, the IDE drivers...hmm I have no idea actually! :)

Rebuilding is the next logical step, and it doesn't feel that bad so short after the other one (not that much installed etc).

Well, happy is a strong word but... :)

I don't think there is much improvement to be gained there. Latest BIOS (Asus) and switched from a 40 wire (which has always worked fine) to an 80 wire IDE cable.

Done 2 burns so far with the new install, and it works good!

Verbatim dvd-r 16x burnt at 12x with no problems.

Nothing else installed, except for some drivers.

The only thing is that the Device Buffer sometimes go very low (like 3%) for a short while, then back at 96%.

But maybe it usually do this? I don't remember any more, I'm just glad it made it through the process. :D

Great!

This feels kind of like playing russian roulette...I never know when it's gonna blow. :)

Btw: In your opinion is Daemon "reliable" (i.e is there any of those drivers that can screw with yours)?

Because that's the app I suspected the last time, but nothing got better when I uninstalled it...so I thought it wasn't after all.

Great!

This feels kind of like playing russian roulette...I never know when it's gonna blow. :)

When you hear a bang youll know you've hit the culprit!

[Tip on]

If you are not already then make a system restore point before installing each bit of culprit software, that way when you find it if the uninstall doesnt work, you can go back to a restore point..........

[Tip off]

On my Xp installation its

Start > Help & Support > Performance and Maintenance > Using System restore to undo changes >

Run the system restore wizard

Then click the "Create a restore point" Bullet

Name it summin like "Restore before installing blah blah blah"

Edited by BurnerFreak

Great!

Btw: In your opinion is Daemon "reliable" (i.e is there any of those drivers that can screw with yours)?

Because that's the app I suspected the last time, but nothing got better when I uninstalled it...so I thought it wasn't after all.

as far as I can tell Daemon Tools is just fine and has never caused me any problems .I can't remember a post where it was a problem in 3-4 years :thumbup:

Thanks guys.

Yes so far, so good. :)

I have installed Daemon and MS Office with no problems, everything burns fine (but I'm running out of stuff to burn :D).

Maybe it was just something weird going on before...but I haven't installed Symantec, ATI drivers, Nero and whole bunch of other stuff yet.

...so there's still time I suppose :)

I was a fan of Norton for the last five years, up to 6 monts ago when i had a load of grief with both their software and support.........

I dumped them for Panda and have had no bother since...........

If you have Nero 7 :swear: :swear: :swear: Well enough said!

I uninstalled Symantec, and did a System Restore from last night (before Symantec).

After reboot I tried to burn again, but again with errors (this time Power Calibration).

Failed to Write Sectors 0 - 31 - Power Calibration Area Error

Retrying (1 of 20)...

Retry Failed - Power Calibration Area Error

Rebooted again, and tried again...and this time it worked. :/

I honestly don't know what to believe any more, maybe it's hardware related after all?

I mean, how hard should this really be???

What do you guys think?

--

And no, I haven't installed Nero (only Daemon, Office, Sound Drivers, Flash FXP, Firefox and some MS Updates...and lastly Symantec).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.