BIN Verses ISO

Quatermass

I've recently updated IMGBurn on my XP Pro PC to V2.4 and now when I try to create a .iso file from a bog standard iso9660 CD, it insists on setting a .bin file type. Then it creates a cue file alongside it.

Can someone tell me what a .bin and .cue file are?

Where has the .iso format gone?

I used the EZ-Mode Picker and chose 'Create image file from disc'.

I looked in the FAQ and it's not mentioned. I've looked in the Guides and making ISOs of CDs is not mentioned.

I know enough to know you can't create a .iso file simply by altering the file type.

:rolleyes:

Can someone help?

If it was bog standard it would default to ISO.

So something tells me it's not. It's probably recorded using Mode 2 (2352 bytes per sector) rather than Mode 1 (2048 bytes per sector).

ISO's are typically (and should really just be) Mode 1, everything else CD related belong be in a BIN/CUE setup.

If it was bog standard it would default to ISO.

So something tells me it's not. It's probably recorded using Mode 2 (2352 bytes per sector) rather than Mode 1 (2048 bytes per sector).

ISO's are typically (and should really just be) Mode 1, everything else CD related belong be in a BIN/CUE setup.

Interesting.

You're right it is a "(MODE2/FORM1/2352)" disc.

I've no idea what difference this makes to the copy process however.

So do you think then its not copied it correctly because I selected .ISO?

I created a .ISO file and it made a .cue file as well.

Is there any documents on what a .cue file is?

Do I need to keep it?

Edited by Quatermass

ISO images usually are MODE1/2048 bytes per sector, and even though you forced ImgBurn to use the .ISO file extension, you still need the .CUE file for the disc image to be correctly interpreted.

For a single session/track disc ImgBurn will actually cope just fine with the Mode2 format ISO file and no CUE file.

Other programs might not though as they expect an ISO to be Mode1/2048.

For that disc, it really doesn't matter which extension you give the image, the files would still be identical.

For a single session/track disc ImgBurn will actually cope just fine with the Mode2 format ISO file and no CUE file.

Other programs might not though as they expect an ISO to be Mode1/2048.

For that disc, it really doesn't matter which extension you give the image, the files would still be identical.

Grand stuff. Maybe you should get your moderators to fill in the FAQ forum more with this kind of info. That forum is kind of empty. :innocent:

Regards[/color]

So it would seem.

I find it odd that at first glance the FAQ forum only appears to have one posting.

Why was it made in that fashion? Surely it would make much more sense to separate all the replies into individual posting. That way people can simply scroll down, looking at the title to more quickly see their question.

Everywhere I go in the Imgburn forum I see statements directing visitors to the FAQ. But its hopelessly inadequate!

Last time it was updated was almost 3 years ago? :thumbup:

And don't get me started on the Guide forum... Hardly any articles on CDs. Where is the one on copying a basic CD?

For example? :rolleyes:

I refer people to the FAQ when they have DMA issues and that's pretty much the only reason.

That truely is a FAQ, asking the difference between BIN and ISO has probably just been asked a handful of times.

If people need a guide to use Read mode and Write mode (write mode is already covered in there anyway) then they really shouldn't be using the program.

It's not designed for 110% 'newbie' users, never has been.

I refer people to the FAQ when they have DMA issues and that's pretty much the only reason.

That truely is a FAQ, asking the difference between BIN and ISO has probably just been asked a handful of times.

If people need a guide to use Read mode and Write mode (write mode is already covered in there anyway) then they really shouldn't be using the program.

It's not designed for 110% 'newbie' users, never has been.

I could argue that with the recent inclusion of the 'Ez-Mode', that you're trying to move it towards newbies? :whistling:

But what you couldn't argue with is that is is LUK!'s program and forum, not yours, and therefore his to do with as he pleases, despite your childish petulant behaviour.

Grow up!

(Oh yeah - you are free to make a guide on how to copy CDs and post it anywhere on the internet - be our guest)

Regards

You could argue but you would be wrong, that feature was added to help me.

The FAQ is as it needs to be. So you can reply check FAQ instead of having to reply in detail to every post about DMA issues.

The whole page could be filled with a search button you would still get someone who can't find it.

Now this is gonna sound harsh but if someone cannot get to grips with the BASIC funtions this program offers as in read mode/write mode then wtf are they doing with a computer and maybe a vtech or fisher price is more up their street.

However if they can read and willing to try what they have just read and learn from that without opening their mouth for the airplane then great and good on them.

Your entitled to your opinion but your wrong.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.