Unable to format BD-RE 50GB

colinhunt

Alcohol was ancient, I uninstalled it now. Daemon Tools is the latest one, and it uses SPTD 1.56. I uninstalled it as well, just in case. Let's see if this had any effect.

First test after rebooting, with Auto calculate enabled: profile remains BD-RE after dragging some data into source box.

Looks like we solved it! I'll do some further testing, but it sure looks like it was either Alcohol or DT, or both, that caused the odd behaviour.

Edited by colinhunt

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you enable 'show hidden devices' in Device Manager and look at the 'Non-Plug And Play Drivers' section, you might be able to see if there are any stray DT/Alcohol drivers left on the system.

If in doubt, you could get a few screenshots of the list and post them up.

DT with SPTD 1.56 should be ok as that's what I have on myself.

• 4 months later...

Hi guys, I read this topic with great interest as it seemed very similar to my problem:

Using nero 8 or Imgburn I cannot for the love of god get either of them to format my Imation bd-re, they are correctly requognised in both nero and imgburn as bd-re and empty but needing formatting but refuse to be formatted, LG say that they are "incompatible" but I think that this is horsesh!t, If the LG GGW-H20L is a blu ray burner then it should burn blu ray discs.

The drive works perfectly in watching br and I have burned a couple of verbatim bd-r's and I used the LG bd-re until it had a layer split, it has the latest firmware installed and I have also tried some things that colin tried also (unticking prefer) but alas I have had no joy, Has anybody else had problems with this or any other brand ??

Thanks.

Yep, everytime, I get "disc needs formatting" I tell imgburn yes, then it tries to erase the disk and fails.

Nero just tries to format for about 2 mins then chucks up a "cannot format" error lol.

You used verbatim with no probs ??

I was considering tdk or maxell but if you say verbatims are ok :thumbup: I've seen loads on ebay, Ima getting bidding .

Thanks for the info.

Yes I've used Verbatim BD-RE (25GB) without any problems in my GGW-H20L (currently with YL03 firmware).

I've also used a TDK BD-RE DL (50GB) disc with it and that formatted / burnt / verified just fine too.

Mine all came from www.svp.co.uk but it seems they're only stocking the 5 packs of Verbatim BD-RE discs at the moment and the TDK BD-RE DL's are nowhere to be seen!

• 2 months later...
You know that you don't need to erase DVD+RW, DVD-RAM or BD-RE media before rewriting on them, right? Simply click the Write/Build button and ImgBurn will ask you if you want to overwrite the disc :thumbup:

I knew that about +RW and RAM, but not about BD-RE. Thanks for the tip. Too bad it's of no help with this current problem I'm having...

why don't you try Cyberlink hi-def suite it works great to erase BD-RE's 25 & 50gb

You know that you don't need to erase DVD+RW, DVD-RAM or BD-RE media before rewriting on them, right? Simply click the Write/Build button and ImgBurn will ask you if you want to overwrite the disc :thumbup:

I knew that about +RW and RAM, but not about BD-RE. Thanks for the tip. Too bad it's of no help with this current problem I'm having...

why don't you try Cyberlink hi-def suite it works great to erase BD-RE's 25 & 50gb

How clever

• 1 month later...

Hi

I am new to the forum. I just got my LG GGW H20L Blu Ray writer. It came with a Blank LG BD RE disc.

I tried to burn a BDMV dir (18 Gig size) using NERO buring Rom first (NERO 8).

It rejected with :"ilegal disc" error.

Then I tried Imgburn to burn the same BDMV dir.

Imgburn said "Disc Need Formating". When it was tryning to erase (format),

it gave me an error saying "Disc is Write Protected", and exit the erase op.

I then tried "DVD+RW-FORMAT" command in Fedora 9 linux.

It also failed.

I tried a Memorex BD-R disc (25GB) using Imgburn. It burned well. The disc played

well on PS3.

Today I went and bought a Verbatim BD-RE single layer.

Using Imgburn I tried again.

'This time it did erase(format) 100%

Then burned BDMV dir.

The disc played on PS3.

What is that I am doing wrong with the LG BD-RE blank?

Is there any other tool that can remove the write-protection?

Thanks

Selvaraj

As a new member of this forum I've been doing a lot of reading trying to get up to speed on this particular problem. I too have a BD-RE disc that I have written to one time that I cannot erase or copy over. This is terribly annoying. I paid the equivalent of 18 Euros for it. The drive I'm working with is a external USB 2.0 Buffalo BRHC-66316U2-US. This is basically just the enclosure for a LG GGW-H20N drive. I was able to write to the disc once successfully. It played in the PS3 swimmingly. However, when I tried to erase it, ImgBurn and Nero both said it was a BD-ROM and could not be erased. I have tried everything I've read in this thread to get the drive to recognize this disc as a BD-RE without success. My question is this, is it possible to instruct (add code to) the program to write to the disc despite the fact that it's reporting as BD-ROM. I realize this is a dangerous proposition and would have to be accompanied by massive red flags and warning messages when selecting this option (if it were to be made available.)

Here is what the device reports when I insert this disc

HL-DT-ST BD-RE GGW-H20N XJ03 (USB)

Current Profile: BD-ROM

Disc Information:

Erasable: No

Sessions: 1

Sectors: 12,219,392

Size: 25,025,314,816 bytes

Time: 2715:27:17 (MM:SS:FF)

Supported Write Speeds: 2x

TOC Information:

Session 1... (LBA: 0)

-> Track 01 (Mode 1, LBA: 0 - 12219391)

-> LeadOut (LBA: 12219392)

BD Disc Information:

Disc ID: SONY-ES1-01

Disc Type: BD-RE

When I try to write to the disc I get the "Disc Not Empty" error.

I have tried both a quick format and a full format of this disc without success. It always shows as BD-ROM in the report.

Any help you could offer in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe you can put the real LG firmware on it? It might be newer than your OEM one?

Ask the guys at cdfreaks, they have more experience of that kinda thing.

You can force an erase on it, just hit the erase button (in the destination box when you're in write mode) and tell it that it's a bdrw.

You'll have to do a full erase though probably but try a quick one first anyway.

It wouldn't be something like DAEMON Tools or Alcohol 120% cloaking it to look like a BDROM would it? I know that happens with DVDRW discs where they then look like DVDROM.

FINALLY!! I think I found it. Will report when the burn is complete. (Yes, it formatted and is burning) Alcohol 120% has a option under emulation called "Ignore Media Type", this needs to be deselected!

The purpose of this menu option is this, "forces software to ignore writable media type, allowing it to be recognized as CD-ROM and DVD-ROM media." Well guess what?! It works with BD-RE media as well. Great for game disc emulation, bad for rewritable media. Son of a gun!! Add this to the FAQ.

Thanks for the lead LIGHTNING UK!

• 2 months later...
Forget about using that disc, they're junk. They don't work for anyone.

Make sure you update the firmware on the drive to the latest one though.

Hi Lightning,

I got a replacement disk from LG (BD-RE) and that works fine.

I have a question about the BD-RD DL.

How is the "layer break/change" handled when you burn files/directories that are > 25 GB but < 50GB

on to a BD-RE DL disc?

I tried something like this using Imgburn. It seems that it plays OK on a PS3 upto one layer.

It gets stuck at a point when the layer has to switch. Is there a gude or suggestion on how to handle

the layer break?

Thanks

They did away with the whole 'layer break' concept / annoyance when they designed HD media such as HD DVD and Blu-ray.

i.e. they're treated as one big disc now.

Thanks for the reply. Any explanation why the BD-RE DL disc gets stuck around 1hr 12 min (approx) when the whole movie is about 1 hr 50 min or so?

May be it the the media( Panasonic BD-RE DL)

Thanks

• 4 months later...
Yup, it'll be some combination of the burner / media / player.

Thanks for the great SW Imgburn.

I have tried SONY BD-R DL (Disc ID: MEI-T01-01 same code as Panasonic BD-R DL) and successfully burned some BD discs and they play well on my PS3.

I bought 3 TDK BD-RE DL and they burn ok. But on PS3 it freezes at different places. I am not sure why? May be the RE discs DL are not mature?

Then I bought some TDK BD-R DL (code =TDKBLD-RFB-00). I burned one without trouble.

Second disc I tried using Imgburn 2.4.4.0.

It just sits there. The green bars on th etop pane (Device buffer, Buffer, complete all remain empty). I waited for 30 min. Nothing happens.

I tried 3rd disc (same TDK BD-R DL). It sat there for 3 min or so and then these buffers start filling and burned.

I tried 4th and it is same problem.

What is wrong with my Disc or Drive?

I have attached the log file here:

Then I quit the Imgburn from the task manager. I have to reboot to open the tray.

Thanks

I 09:55:28 ImgBurn Version 2.4.4.0 started!

I 09:55:28 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 09:55:28 Total Physical Memory: 3,372,068 KB - Available: 2,710,848 KB

I 09:55:28 Initialising SPTI...

I 09:55:28 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 09:55:29 Found 1 DVD

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.