Finalising Disc Errors

FlyingHorse

This is a typical log file for the failure that I get:

I 17:34:26 ImgBurn Version 2.4.0.0 started!

I 17:34:26 Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Edition (6.0, Build 6001 : Service Pack 1)

I 17:34:26 Total Physical Memory: 4,191,884 KB - Available: 2,304,740 KB

I 17:34:26 Initialising SPTI...

I 17:34:26 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 17:34:26 Found 2 DVD-ROMs and 1 DVD

Edited by FlyingHorse

The samsung drives are prone to error out like that on +R media.

Mine has been problem free for months... until today.

Try turning the 'DVD+R Reserve Track' option in the settings (Write tab) on.

I tried that as well and same error happens.

Might be cheaper for me to purchase a different unit than to toss all these +R media :whistling:

Have a look in the Mini-FAQ for Samsung DVD writers, specially the bit about incompatibility with certain VIA chipsets. I also was having problems finalizing DVD+R/+RWs (not DVD+R DLs though), bitsetting didn't work and couldn't update the burner's firmware, and only after reading that mini-FAQ that I saw my motherboard has the incompatible VIA chipset :(

Have a look in the Mini-FAQ for Samsung DVD writers, specially the bit about incompatibility with certain VIA chipsets. I also was having problems finalizing DVD+R/+RWs (not DVD+R DLs though), bitsetting didn't work and couldn't update the burner's firmware, and only after reading that mini-FAQ that I saw my motherboard has the incompatible VIA chipset :(

I'll check out the link. I am running an EVGA Nvidia based 680i SLI motherboard & chipset. Thanks.

Okay, I just downloaded a copy of SuSE 10.3 which is a 4.0GB image and it burned without a single problem.

Could something be wrong with the ISO file from MS? Is there some way to check for errors? I am really at a loss now. :blink:

Please any suggestions would be appreciated.

The drive burns any data that you send to it (i.e. it doesn't analyze or even care what's being burnt). My guess is that you had a few bad blanks. Also, have you tried burning at other speeds? 8x would be a good one to try.

The drive burns any data that you send to it (i.e. it doesn't analyze or even care what's being burnt).

My point exactly. If the data in the ISO is bad to begin with then wouldn't the burn that results would be bad as well?

My guess is that you had a few bad blanks. Also, have you tried burning at other speeds? 8x would be a good one to try.

From my first post I tried 3 different batches of Verbatim +R and also tried at different speeds.

The burn would not be bad just the data in it. You wouldn't get PMA Update failures. Data is data that's all - just 1s and 0s.

Has LUK's suggestion worked? I have a Samsung 203B (on a SATA channel, which is different to you) and have no issues with MCC-003s. Maybe go get some of those instead of the 004s.

Regards

The burn would not be bad just the data in it. You wou;dn't get PMA Update failures. Data is data that's all - just 1s and 0s.

Has LUK's suggestion worked? I have a Samsung 203B (on a SATA channel, which is different to you) and have no issues with MCC-003s. Maybe go get some of those instead of the 004s.

Regards

I take it that the MCC-003 are the -R media? I suppose that is what I'll have to do. The only thing that bugs me is that ALL other ISO images burn without any problems except for this one particular file. I just don't get it. :'(

I take it that the MCC-003 are the -R media?

MCC 003 -> Verbatim 8x rated DVD+Rs

MCC 004 -> Verbatim 16x rated DVD+Rs

MCC 02RG20 -> Verbatim 8x rated DVD-Rs

MCC 03RG20 -> Verbatim 16x rated DVD-Rs

Taiyo Yuden blanks, both DVD-R and DVD+R, are also high quality and worth trying :thumbup:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.