Verifying burned DVDs by MD5 instead of ISO

emap

Hey folks, I have a question about burn verification using MD5 checksums. I want to be able to check my burns from time to time against the source images, to be sure no corruption has occurred due to disc scratches or whatnot. But I don't want to have to heft around 600+ megabyte ISO images on my PC just for verification.

So here's the thing. After you've burned an ISO and when you try to verify the DVD against the source image, ImgBurn calculates the checksum of the ISO file the same way checksum programs like FastSum or MD5summer do. Then it somehow obtains the checksum of the DVD and compares them, and they (hopefully) match. However, checking the ISO file each time you want to verify the DVD is redundant, because it will be the same each time. I'd much rather have a bunch of stored MD5 files on my PC, each of which would already contain the checksum of one of my ISOs, and then I could just compare those MD5 files with the checksums of my DVDs. That would solve the storage problem I mentioned in the first paragraph.

As such, I'm looking for a way to verify a DVD burned from an ISO against a saved MD5 file, instead of a saved ISO, which is the way ImgBurn normally uses.

Does anyone know of a way to do this? Or essentially, does anyone know how to obtain the checksum of a burned DVD, one that should be the same as that of the original ISO? All the programs I've used just calculate the checksums of every file on the DVD, which isn't what I want. Or, is there some way to do this in ImgBurn itself? Any help would be appreciated.

What does this command do exactly? With one burn, I verified it against the original ISO correctly, but then the non-ISO-based verification turned up some kind of confusing I/O error!

The non bases ISO - just reads the disc and compares it with nothing.

Was it the same burned disc you tried in both variants?

Post the log if you have it. Main Menu -> Help -> ImgBurn Logs

• 2 months later...

Haha, well this is funny -- I'm back! I forgot all about this topic, but now I need to use this CD again and it still has the problem. What do you mean by "non bases ISO"? If it just checks the disc and compares it with nothing, what's the point?

I checked the logs as recommended. Here they are. I've blanked a couple details, but everything should be clear.

; //****************************************\\

; ImgBurn Version 2.4.0.0 - Log

; Friday, 04 July 2008, 13:37:04

; \\****************************************//

;

;

I 13:29:14 ImgBurn Version 2.4.0.0 started!

I 13:29:14 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 13:29:14 Total Physical Memory: 1,047,020 KB - Available: 526,240 KB

I 13:29:14 Initialising SPTI...

I 13:29:14 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

E 13:29:14 Failed to check for ImgBurn update!

I 13:29:14 Found 1 DVD-ROM and 1 DVD

Haha, well this is funny -- I'm back! I forgot all about this topic, but now I need to use this CD again and it still has the problem. What do you mean by "non bases ISO"? If it just checks the disc and compares it with nothing, what's the point?

I checked the logs as recommended. Here they are. I've blanked a couple details, but everything should be clear.

; //****************************************\\

; ImgBurn Version 2.4.0.0 - Log

; Friday, 04 July 2008, 13:37:04

; \\****************************************//

;

;

I 13:29:14 ImgBurn Version 2.4.0.0 started!

I 13:29:14 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 13:29:14 Total Physical Memory: 1,047,020 KB - Available: 526,240 KB

I 13:29:14 Initialising SPTI...

I 13:29:14 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

E 13:29:14 Failed to check for ImgBurn update!

I 13:29:14 Found 1 DVD-ROM and 1 DVD

Your drive is adding a couple of sectors to the size of the disc from what has actually been written - those sectors cannot be read because they've not actually been burnt.

That's why it works when doing a verify as part of the burn - because it knows how much to verify and those last 2 sectors are never read - but doesn't work when *just* going by what the drive reports for sizes etc when in standalone verify mode and not comparing to an image file.

It might help here if you could switch to Read mode and just copy + paste all the disc info text from the panel on the right into your next post (when that exact disc is in the drive).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.