Lock Volume Failed

dunlop

Good Evening... The last few days have been getting the Lock Volume failed when using the latest version of ImageBurn. When I click on continue ...it proceeds to to a flawless burn. Did a searech and read the FAQ below.

www.sysinternals.com apparently no longer a functioning website. Can't find any other program using the drive....as I said --- I am happy with the outcome...just wondering what's going on.

Thanks in advance

Problem:

You get an error saying 'Unable to lock volume for exclusive access'

A.K.A. 'DeviceIoControl(FSCTL_LOCK_VOLUME) Failed!'

If the 'Reason' given is 'Access is denied' (or words to that effect)

Another program is currently using the drive. You need to find out what it is and shut it down!

The only way I know of finding out what else has a 'handle' open to the drive is by using Process Explorer from www.sysinternals.com

Sysinternals redirects to Microsoft's site, which contains all the progs. In fact, a new version of Process Explorer was released yesterday.

Regards

Blutach/Mmalves...Thanks so much for your replies. Downloaded and ran the prog,but cannot for the life of me see any indication of any other driver running in the background!

As I said...once I hit the Continue tab the burn resumes uninterrupted. Just can't figure out what and why now. Only additional software I've installed recently was for a Logitech Webcam.

Thanks again

Sysinternals redirects to Microsoft's site, which contains all the progs. In fact, a new version of Process Explorer was released yesterday.

Regards

How are you arriving at Imgburn? In other words is it called upon by another program or are you opening it and choosing a pre-existing file from your HDD?

Locoeng

I am opening from a Desk Top Short Cut which is what I've been doing since the first version of Image Burn came out.

If it helps at all -----below is a log from my last burn:

;

;

; //****************************************\\

; ImgBurn Version 2.4.1.0 - Log

; Monday, 07 April 2008, 20:37:52

; \\****************************************//

;

;

I 20:12:38 ImgBurn Version 2.4.1.0 started!

I 20:12:38 Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 20:12:38 Total Physical Memory: 981,488 KB - Available: 354,604 KB

W 20:12:38 Drive D:\ (FAT32) does not support single files > 4 GB in size.

I 20:12:38 Initialising SPTI...

I 20:12:38 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 20:12:38 Found 2 DVD

In Process Explorer, do a find. Type in "Cdrom" and see what the results are. Kill the thread for anything other than ImgBurn

Regards

Blutach...followed your recommendation. Nothing came up at all.

In Process Explorer, do a find. Type in "Cdrom" and see what the results are. Kill the thread for anything other than ImgBurn

Regards

Also tried to launch ImgBurn from :

C:\Program Files\ImgBurn....but got the same Nag. Continued and burned successful.

Regards

C:\Program Files\ImgBurn....but got the same Nag. Continued and burned successful.

Blutach...tried your suggestion one more time and this is what popped up....

DMASched...3704 Handle \Device\CdRom1

Do I really want to kill this thread???

Regards

Blutach...tried your suggestion one more time and this is what popped up....

DMASched...3704 Handle \Device\CdRom1

Do I really want to kill this thread???

Anyone think a system restore could solve this?

As long as this isn't a harbinger of something worse... I can deal with a two second interruption in my burning process.

I think I would prefer to just "ignore" the warning than do a systems restore but then I am lazy :lol: Let us know how you get on after killing that DMASched...3704 Handle \Device\CdRom1

Eureka....thanks to all for your suggestions and links. Killed the :DMASched...3704 Handle \Device\CdRom1 and ImgBurn went right through the process without the nag. Apparently the conflict was coming from Sonic Express which is a DVD Cover/Label printer. You guys and gals rock!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.