"Un-jamming" ImgBurn when it deals with bad medium

Bosanek

Hello,

Sometimes I happen to insert a rather badly written optical disc (usually DVD) in my drive (it is a Plextor PX-755A, not some junk), and when I start ImgBurn, it tries to get some info from the medium (for example, if I switch to the "Read" operational mode, it tries to read the first 2000 sectors or so...).

The problem with this is that, if the media is faulty, the drive just whines in despair while trying to read it (spin-up-down etc.), and ImgBurn jams because it is insisting on that data. Fortunately, the architecture of ImgBurn is robust (credit to the author's engineering skills), so it (as I have noticed) has a separate thread for working with the drive. That leaves the interface un-jammed, so I am able to exit ImgBurn in these situations (it terminates the interface thread and exits).

BUT I would like to be able to abort the work of the interface thread at any time, without exiting ImgBurn. In another words, if ImgBurn tries to read something from the disc, I want to abort it and do something else. For example, I want to erase the disc, but I can't initiate that operation because the drive is already stuck because ImgBurn is requesting info from it.

The final question is: is there some key or key-combo which cancels the job of the interface thread? If not, PLEASE add in ImgBurn as soon as possible.

Edited by Bosanek

ImgBurn hasn't done that since 2.4.0.0 came out.

Oh, silly me! :blush:

I'm still using ImgBurn 2.3.2.0, and I was sure that I updated it to 2.4.0.0. I did that at several other machines, but apparently not on my own :D.

Hit me at will. :chair:

P.S.: So, you are saying that ImgBurn 2.4.0.0 does not jam any more or what? I'm not sure what you meant when you said "hasn't done that".

Install ImgBurn v2.4.1.0 (get from Mirror 7) and see the magic for yourself :thumbup:

I've just downloaded and installed ImgBurn 2.4.1.0. I started it (the bad disc was already in the drive). Then I switched to the "Read" mode, and ImgBurn started to acquire the disc info. It jammed at "Getting media status...". The "Mode menu" was greyed (unavailable) and no key or key combo could "rescue" me (I tried ESC, CTRL+ALT+W/B/D/V, F5, etc). The only key combo which worked was ALT+F4, which terminated the interface thread ans closed ImgBurn "nicely".

In this kind of situation, I would like to be able to press ESC (for example) and that should immediately cancel the current operation and "kick" me back to the last state which was OK (in this case, probably the one in which ImgBurn was before I commanded it to switch to "Read" mode).

It only needs 2 read errors (in a row) to bomb out of the 'getting media status' code.

If you really do have problems there then the file system is probably corrupt too, hence the disc would be useless.

Your statement is correct, because this time I waited a bit longer when it hanged, and after some time it completed the media inquiry. Now I know that I only need to wait a bit. Maybe you should incprporate some notice saying "this may take up to a minute, please wait", which would be displayed whenever ImgBurn is inquirying the drive.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.