Does ImgBurn optimize selection of DAO/SAO versus Incremental?

fordman

Is ImgBurn set to check whether it would be better for a particular drive to record with Incremental versus DAO/SAO? I'm copying .ISO or .ISO/.MDS images, and though I have ImgBurn set to the DAO/SAO writing mode, I'll notice that sometimes it has inexplicably switched to Incremental mode, with no overt change from me! I set it back to DAO/SAO, and the log shows it burns with DAO mode, and I can even shut down ImgBurn, re-start it and the DAO/SAO option is retained. Then days later I'll start ImgBurn and notice in the log that it is burning in Incremental mode!

I understand that Incremental is essentially packet-writing mode and that means the laser may be turned on and off many times when recording, while DAO is theoretically a continuous burn with the laser on, though most recorders recalibrate during the burn, and this may cycle the laser.

Does ImgBurn detect if a particular device or image would be better with Incremental recording and make the switch automatically? If not, has anybody else observed this?

Note that this has been observed on a Dell Windows XP machine with both ImgBurn 2.4.0.0 and 2.4.1.0, and I'm recording to a Pioneer DVR-212 SATA drive. I'm using ImgBurn on a User level account, though I have access to SPTI, and I'm using that as my communications protocol.

This just happened again today, and after switching it back to DAO/SAO that has stuck for subsequent recordings.

Are their any real differences in the recording method on the burned DVD?

Thanks

fordman

Note that this has been observed on a Dell Windows XP machine with both ImgBurn 2.4.0.0 and 2.4.1.0,

That'll be why, you can't go between the two without messing up this setting.

The installer corrects it (sets it back to default) but if that's not being used then it'll get messed up.

Stick to the one version.

Note that this has been observed on a Dell Windows XP machine with both ImgBurn 2.4.0.0 and 2.4.1.0,

That'll be why, you can't go between the two without messing up this setting.

The installer corrects it (sets it back to default) but if that's not being used then it'll get messed up.

Stick to the one version.

Actually, that's not what I meant by that statement. I meant it has happened when using 2.4.0.0 (before the release of 2.4.1.0), and then again once I replaced 2.4.0.0 with 2.4.1.0. These two versions are not being used side by side.

So, the mystery remains...

UPDATE: I've verified that the ImgBurn write type is reset to "Incremental" after powering down the affected computer and booting booting back up. I shut down this computer every night and the next morning when I come in, ImgBurn shows the write type re-set to Incremental even though I had it set to DAO/SAO. As long as I leave the computer running, as I normally do during the course of a day, it will remain set at DAO/SAO, even if I close and re-open ImgBurn. Again, this is on a User account in Windows XP SP2 on which I have access to SPTI. All other options remain on the settings I chose. Any ideas?

Edited by fordman

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.