"Finalise Disc Failed!"

UED

Hi all :)

Sometimes I get a "Finalise Disc Failed!" but he continues with verify. And I get after verify "Operation Successfully Completed!" Now I ask, is this DVD ok? Here my full Log:

I 19:25:12 ImgBurn Version 2.4.1.0 started!

I 19:25:12 Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 19:25:12 Total Physical Memory: 1,047,280 KB - Available: 569,968 KB

W 19:25:12 Drive C:\ (FAT32) does not support single files > 4 GB in size.

I 19:25:12 Initialising SPTI...

I 19:25:12 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 19:25:12 Found 1 CD-RW, 2 DVD-ROMs and 2 DVD

When you run into problems during the closing for the track/disc/session, 2 things generally happen:

1. The changing of the booktype to DVD-ROM doesn't work...

I 19:39:01 Source Media Type: DVD+R DL (Book Type: DVD+R DL) (Disc ID: RICOHJPN-D01-67) (Speeds: 2.4x; 4x; 6x; 8x)

2. You might find some drives cannot initialise the disc and will just throw up an error.

You might like to consider slowing the burns down a bit if your drive errors out all the time at 8x.

But is this Image now ok?

Because at the second retry I didnt get an error

W 19:38:22 Potential 'WaitImmediateIO' Deferred Error - (21%, 0/3) - Tracking Servo Failure

W 19:38:22 Finalise Disc Failed! - Reason: Tracking Servo Failure

W 19:38:22 Retrying (1 of 3)...

But.. I cant remember, he continued the closing.. :( Can I use this Disk now?

You might like to consider slowing the burns down a bit if your drive errors out all the time at 8x

I set "Write Speed" on auto. Cant ImgBurn recognise the max for the DVD DL?

What can you recommend me for

a) DVD DL +/- (I prefer +)

B) DVD +/- ?

Edited by UED

OK, thank you. I hoped, I can set always Auto.

What can you recommend me for

a) DVD DL +/- (I prefer +)

B) DVD +/- ?

What can you or everyone recommend me please?

Edited by UED

My current (lazy) rule is to use the speed below the max speed. If the disc is rated 16x - I go for 12x.

But the only true way to know is to burn some discs with the same media code through the 'Discovery' mode at various speeds and then use DVDInfoPro or the freeware program Nero DiscSpeed to see what good/bad results the various speeds gives. A bad thing is that not all writers are good to do that test - but it should at least give you a clue on the speed that is the right one for you.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you :) Now I have bought Verbatim DVD's. But I am not sure, are these ok?:

• DVD+R Made in Japan
  • DVD+R DL made in India

I hope, I bought the right DVD's :(

People have reported better results with Verbatim DVD+R DLs Made in Singapore.

Also make sure your burner(s) has(have) the latest firmware available. For your HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-E40N RE01 burner there is an updated firmware RE02, which you can download at http://au.lgservice.com/ (Device Driver -> DVD-ROM(Writer) it's in page 4). Don't forget to read the readme.txt file for instructions on how to perform the upgrade ;)

Hmm, do you think, I can use this DVD DL? Or is made in India bullshit?

And thanks for the hint with firmware. I have applied it now to my external burner.

The rule for the Indian made DL discs seems to be to find a writer that likes them. Later released writers seems to like them and you do have a rather new one, but I don't think you know for sure before you have tried with one of the Indian ones with your new firmware.

:)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.