DVD not playing on PC or Sony DVD player

00seven

Memorex DVD-R wont play after successful image write. What can I do to fix this?

I 08:05:09 ImgBurn Version 2.4.1.0 started!

I 08:05:09 Microsoft Windows Vista Business Edition (6.0, Build 6000)

I 08:05:09 Total Physical Memory: 2,086,732 KB - Available: 1,286,088 KB

I 08:05:10 Initialising SPTI...

I 08:05:10 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 08:05:10 Found 1 DVD

Hi and welcome to the forum, 00seven! :)

If you open up the DVD in Windows Explorer - can you then see a VIDEO_TS folder and a VIDEO_TS.IFO file inside that folder? What software player are you trying to play with?

Hi and welcome to the forum, 00seven! :)

If you open up the DVD in Windows Explorer - can you then see a VIDEO_TS folder and a VIDEO_TS.IFO file inside that folder? What software player are you trying to play with?

Thanks v. much for the warm welcome!

When opened in windows explorer there are two folders: AUDIO_TS (no files inside) and VIDEO_TS (9 files inside including VIDEO_TS.IFO).

I am using windows media player, below is the error I am getting:

Windows Media Player cannot play DVD video. You might need to adjust your Windows display settings. Open display settings in Control Panel, and then try lowering your screen resolution and color quality settings.

It should, but the media isn't the best.

Regards

Could that be the problem? I have duplicated a DVD before using the Memorex DVD-R, and it works in the Sony DVD player. Actually I only have about 4 more so I will purchase some more on Friday, what media do you recommend getting?

I have duplicated a DVD before using the Memorex DVD-R, and it works in the Sony DVD player. Actually I only have about 4 more so I will purchase some more on Friday, what media do you recommend getting?
I'm surprised DVD-R discs work in your Sony; in my experience DVD+R are more compatible. Get a cake of Verbatim DVD+R this time.

Still no luck wiht home DVD player after using Verbatim DVD+R with 1x write speed.

see logs...

I 11:39:24 ImgBurn Version 2.4.1.0 started!

I 11:39:24 Microsoft Windows Vista Business Edition (6.0, Build 6000)

I 11:39:24 Total Physical Memory: 2,086,732 KB - Available: 1,468,912 KB

I 11:39:24 Initialising SPTI...

I 11:39:24 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 11:39:27 Found 1 DVD

Since it verified OK the disc was properly burnt. Try this DVD on other DVD players to see if it works OK :)

The only different DVD player I have right now is the Playstation 3, I tried it there and got an error "Video in the PAL broadcast standard is not supported".

I will have to try it at a friends house, if it works there would you suggest that I get another DVD player? If yes, which player would you recommend?

Thanks v. much!

If you want to play PAL stuff you'll need a player that supports it.

Of course you could just stick to material that's NTSC in the first place and then you probably wouldn't have a problem.

How can I determine between PAL & NTSC material?

Start this program

C:\Program Files\ImgBurn\ImgBurnPreview.exe

Drag and drop a VOB file from the burned disc onto the Previews window. Hit the 'Play' button and check mark the option 'Info' - that should tell you what format it is in.

:)

Thanks Cynthia,

I did as you said, and it is the PAL format, so I googled PAL vs. NTSC and found the below info from http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Articles/PALv...C/PALvsNTSC.asp

"At their heart, DVDs are merely carriers of data files with compressed audio-visual information contained therein. This information can be placed on DVD in one of two resolutions; 720 x 576 pixels (PAL DVDs), or 720 x 480 pixels (NTSC DVDs), and with various frame rates (24, 25, and 30 frames per second are common). The DVD player itself takes this data file and formats it appropriately for display in either PAL or NTSC."

I am new to this so please guide me, my interpretation of this is that I can set the format of the data to either PAL or NTSC before writing the image to the DVD, or is it before creating the image?

No cynthia. That does nothing to the framerate within the VOBs or the resolution (as was pointed out in the quote from 007). It has occasionally been reported to work, but in reality, you need to re-encode the video and audio.

There are one click freeware solutions for this - SUPER, DVD Flick too, IIRC.

Regards

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.