Pioneer DVR-1910LS

poolshark2014

ok my new burner is great but I noticed that when I selected to burn at 8x with Printable Ty's using the latest IMGBurn it doesn't burn at the selected speed.The write speed fluctuates from 6.5x to 7.1x and never really hits or stays at 8x.Why is that?

My drive has the latest firmware so why does it not burn at the selected speed of 8x?

This happens with any media I insert into the drive to burn at 8x no matter what brand I use. :'(

Hi and welcome to the forum, poolshark2014! :)

Can you post a log? Perhaps there is something in that one that gives some clues.

sure thing let me do another burn right now and get back to you with the log info.

Here is the log from The Onion Movie.

I 21:28:16 ImgBurn Version 2.4.1.0 started!

I 21:28:16 Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 1)

I 21:28:16 Total Physical Memory: 2,096,492 KB - Available: 1,675,732 KB

I 21:28:16 Initialising SPTI...

I 21:28:16 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 21:28:16 Found 1 DVD

If I compare your log to one of mine, the write time looks normal.

I 21:37:05 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:08:32

I 21:37:05 Average Write Rate: 9,251 KB/s (6.7x) - Maximum Write Rate: 11,123 KB/s (8.0x)

My log:

I 04:38:06 Destination Device: [2:1:0] ATAPI DVD A DH20A3H YV66 (E:) (ATA)

I 04:46:31 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:08:25

I 04:46:31 Average Write Rate: 10

If I compare your log to one of mine, the write time looks normal.

I 21:37:05 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:08:32

I 21:37:05 Average Write Rate: 9,251 KB/s (6.7x) - Maximum Write Rate: 11,123 KB/s (8.0x)

My log:

I 04:38:06 Destination Device: [2:1:0] ATAPI DVD A DH20A3H YV66 (E:) (ATA)

I 04:46:31 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:08:25

I 04:46:31 Average Write Rate: 10 089 KB/s (7.3x) - Maximum Write Rate: 11 159 KB/s (8.1x)

You could attach this file

I 21:37:05 Graph Data File: C:\Documents and Settings\Vince\Application Data\ImgBurn\Graph Data Files\PIONEER_DVR-113NP_1.01_TUESDAY-JUNE-03-2008_9-28_PM_TYG02_8x.ibg

(or a similar one), it should show the actual write rate during the burning.

First off thanks for replying. so what now?

If you open up this file in www.dvdinfopro.com

I 21:37:05 Graph Data File: C:\Documents and Settings\Vince\Application Data\ImgBurn\Graph Data Files\PIONEER_DVR-113NP_1.01_TUESDAY-JUNE-03-2008_9-28_PM_TYG02_8x.ibg

(or a similar one), it should show the actual write rate during the burning. You can also attach the file to a posting window.

It's probably due to Running OPC... many modern drives utilize this feature (under different names) to improve the quality of their burns. With my BenQ it's called WOPC (walking optimal power control). Your Pioneer is apparently a rebadged Asus (because of LightScribe) and they call it FlextraSpeed.

I also get similar speeds to you @ 8x

I 21:56:03 Destination Device: [1:0:0] BENQ DVD DD DW1640 BSRB (F:) (ATA)

I 21:56:03 Advanced Settings - OverSpeed: No, Solid Burn (K/U): No / Yes, WOPC: Yes

I 22:01:01 Average Write Rate: 9,841 KB/s (7.1x) - Maximum Write Rate: 11,066 KB/s (8.0x)

BTW, you can see this phenomenon clearly if you look at the Graph Data results as Cynthia described.

Edited by jeff_nz

It's probably due to Running OPC... many modern drives utilize this feature (under different names) to improve the quality of their burns. With my BenQ it's called WOPC (walking optimal power control). Your Pioneer is apparently a rebadged Asus (because of LightScribe) and they call it FlextraSpeed.

I also get similar speeds to you @ 8x

I 21:56:03 Destination Device: [1:0:0] BENQ DVD DD DW1640 BSRB (F:) (ATA)

I 21:56:03 Advanced Settings - OverSpeed: No, Solid Burn (K/U): No / Yes, WOPC: Yes

I 22:01:01 Average Write Rate: 9,841 KB/s (7.1x) - Maximum Write Rate: 11,066 KB/s (8.0x)

BTW, you can see this phenomenon clearly if you look at the Graph Data results as Cynthia described.

so there's no way of keeping the burn speed at 8x then?

is OPC really needed? can I untick the OPC option?

Is OPC need to be ticked?

Is it safe to not have OPC ticked?

The reason I ask is because my new burner will not stay at 8x burn speed which is what I always select as my burn speed.I don't know if OPC affects burn speeds but have been told on this forum that it might have something to do with the burn speeds not being consistent.The speeds vary from 6x to 7x and so on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Below is one of my burn logs.

I 21:28:16 ImgBurn Version 2.4.1.0 started!

I 21:28:16 Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 1)

I 21:28:16 Total Physical Memory: 2,096,492 KB - Available: 1,675,732 KB

I 21:28:16 Initialising SPTI...

I 21:28:16 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 21:28:16 Found 1 DVD

This graphical file will show you (and us) the exactly write speeds during the writing.

OPC is this

Optimum Power Calibration. DVD Recordable Drives perform a test write and read in an area inside of the lead-in, in order to determine the best laser power for recording. This allows the burner to adjust to each recordable disc, which may vary slightly from different manufacturers, or for other reasons.

I doubt it will change the write time more than a few seconds.

1. Why did you put your last post in the Announcments thread?! Clearly that's not the place for it - especially when you already had this thread going.

2. The 'I 21:28:29 OPC: Yes' log entry is not the same thing as the WOPC function that your drive performs automatically during the burn (potentially lowering your average speed).

WOPC cannot be toggled on/off on Pioneer drives, it's just something they do in order to adjust the laser power on the fly whilst it's burning - so you get the best burn quality it can achieve.

We've asked you several times to look at the IBG data in DVDInfoPro so you can see the write speed curve but you've yet to do it. If you don't know how, just ask and we'll tell you.

You can of course just upload the IBG file that ImgBurn spat out and we'll do it for you.

You really need to look at the burn speed graph.

Hardly any drives will burn at 8x from start to finish, they'll probably start at 6x and move up to 8x after a period of time.

Well that's funny because my old burner which was the Pioneer DVR-A08xl would always burn at 8.1x when I selected 8x burn speed and this new burner doesn't burn at that speed.My new burner actually burns at 6.9x throughout the entire burn process.

If your are unhappy with your drive return it.

well I'm looking into the Plextor drives or the BenQ drives but don't know which is better.What is the difference between SATA and ATAPI?

I currently have ATAPI but was wondering if SATA would also work in my computer t replace the Pioneer burner.

What is the best Plextor burner out there that can booktype to DVD-ROM?

Same for the BenQ burner that can booktype.

If your are unhappy with your drive return it.

well I'm looking into the Plextor drives or the BenQ drives but don't know which is better.What is the difference between SATA and ATAPI?

I currently have ATAPI but was wondering if SATA would also work in my computer t replace the Pioneer burner.

What is the best Plextor burner out there that can booktype to DVD-ROM?

Same for the BenQ burner that can booktype.

Which of these burners are better in Plextors?

The PX-820A ATAPI $64.99

The PX-800A ATAPI $79.00

The PX-810SA SATA $89.00

How would I know if my computer can accept SATA?

Plextor don't make their own drives now so don't waste your time with them, buy the OEM ones instead.

Have you actually looked at the IBG file yet?!

It's really not that hard to do and it'll put an end to you thinking there's an issue with your drive.

for starters by saying what motherboard you have :rolleyes:

There is really nothing wrong with your pioneer though

My computer is the Sony Vaio PCV-RS630G.I don't think it can do SATA.The reason I am also thinking of Plextor and Benq is because I like the fact that you can change the Booktype setting to DVD-Rom.

Plextor don't make their own drives now so don't waste your time with them, buy the OEM ones instead.

I am on Plextor's site right now and am looking at the PX-800A.How would I know where I can get the OEM ones? Wouldn't they be from Plextor's site?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.