Any way to automate setting the Vista screen saver?

dbminter

Is there anyway to automate setting which screen saver, setting it on, and setting how long to wait before the screen saver activates? I need something, if it exists, because of a latest bug in Vista. SP 1 fixed the problem of the Desktop/Theme randomly being changed, but, post SP 1, a Vista update broke it again. So, every time I restart, the Desktop/Theme is changed, along with the screen saver. Now, of course, in their fucking brilliance, Microsoft makes it so this error changes the screen saver, but the screen saver is not included as part of the Theme information.

Well, the best way I can answer that is by saying, yes, it is. =)) Vista was released not ready for prime time and bundled with DRM schemes that just made it more difficult for those playing by the rules. The biggest Vista killer, though, is how it appears that Microsoft intentionally designed it to make the user have to do more steps than in XP to get the same task accomplished. For instance, gone are the toolbars. Gone are things like Move for a file. Did you know there's not even a rename function for tasks in Task Scheduler? You must delete the existing task, import the XML file, and give it a new name. Vista randomly assigns Views to folders so you never know what exact View you're going to get when you revisit a folder. There's not even an apparent way to assign all folders the same view as there was in XP, a real time saver.

Is Vista REALLY that bad?! I can't believe they'd have made it into the initial release let alone SP1.

I bought a new laptop a few months back that came with vista pre-installed. When it denied me access to manually delete cookies I formatted the drive, threw the vista CD into the bin and then installed XP. Vista lasted about an hour before I'd had enough of it. Yes. It's that bad.

I would highly recommend not switching to the Gold version, then. Back with ME, I tried a beta or release candidate, forget which, and I liked what it had on display. Imagine my surprise when the Gold version was as bad as it was.

Sorry bout that...

Ctrl+X---------Cut

Ctrl+C---------Copy

Ctrl+V---------Paste

I'm still looking for a way to add this to the toolbar myself so I'll let you know if I find anything.

I should have been a bit clearer. I'm not talking about user created Toolbars but the Toolbars that used to be attached to Windows Explorer. Contained the Copy and Move commands, along with others.

This one?

080609a.png

That is in Vista. I don't use any additional programs to get that function. :)

You add it in Folders alternatives or what it's English. Then the tab Show and then in advanced settings -> Show always menues

Vista randomly assigns Views to folders so you never know what exact View you're going to get when you revisit a folder. There's not even an apparent way to assign all folders the same view as there was in XP, a real time saver.

Before SP1 was installed I had several issues. The views changing from what you want it to show to something completely different, I never had after installing SP1.

Also to assign all folders the same view is possible in Vista.

I had a lot of other issues as the Internet connection to stop working after 18-24 hours so I always needed to restart the computer after that time. With SP1 no such problems any more.

So I like Vista SP1. :)

So, I can't fault Vista for not having that option. I CAN fault it for turning it off and disabling it when I had it turned on when upgrading XP.

True. It do takes some time to get Vista as you want it to be. A lot of new settings compared to older Windows versions.

Vista randomly assigns Views to folders so you never know what exact View you're going to get when you revisit a folder. There's not even an apparent way to assign all folders the same view as there was in XP, a real time saver.

Before SP1 was installed I had several issues. The views changing from what you want it to show to something completely different, I never had after installing SP1.

Also to assign all folders the same view is possible in Vista.

I had a lot of other issues as the Internet connection to stop working after 18-24 hours so I always needed to restart the computer after that time. With SP1 no such problems any more.

So I like Vista SP1. :)

Yeah, I have some weird Internet connection issues post SP 1. For whatever reason, my connection dies every Sunday and will only reconnect after a reboot. Weird.

I HAD liked Vista SP 1. :) It HAD fixed the randomized changing of my Desktop, Wallpaper, and Themes, but a post SP 1 update broke it again. Which actually makes little sense since SP 1 addressed no issues at all. It just collected all existing updates from the year since Vista's release.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.