actual iso size, volume descriptor and Virtual Server

stevew

Howdy, all.

When I make an iso or a windows 2003 installation disc using imgburn and use it in virtual server, I get this message from virtual server (in the VS event logs): "The ISO Image "C:\VS Library\ISO\w2k3_r2_sp0_enterprise_x32_ITA_1_(BRMEVOL_EN).ISO" actual file size does not match the size in the ISO Volume Descriptor. Guest CD/DVD mount operation may fail." Not sure if this is causing an actual problem we are having, but after the install of a guest system using this iso from imgburn, parts of the windows installation fail the windows system file checker and need to be repaired. If I may, I would like to try to focus discussion on the error message and the ISO file size differences, instead of the other symptoms I mentioned, as the other symptoms aren't there with a nero iso copy of the same disc on the same hardware.

I noticed that when I make an iso of the same disc with nero ultra 6, that the iso file size is 307,200 bytes less every time (other discs too), and does not produce the error message from virtual server. So I tried upgrading imgburn from my older version to the current version (even though I couldn't find anything in the changelogs alluding to this problem), and still experience the problem. It's possible I'm not using the right terminology when searching.

I've been looking around google, the imgburn forums, the imgburn guides, imgburn faqs, etc but have not been able to find anything that stands out as similar or that is the solution. There seems to be nothing specific at Microsoft's site, either. So I thought I would post.

I'm guessing (probably poorly guessing) that this might be some extra imgburn data being writing into the iso (perhaps about the disc itself), in a place where it should be ignored? But I also did not see a imgburn setting that stood out to try to fix it / turn it off. If this is the problem, is there an option somewhere to turn off that will rememdy this?

Or can you tell me what else is likely the problem? How about the 307,200 byte file size difference in ISO images of the same disc?

I tried making the iso on two different machines with the old and latest version of imgburn, and both exhibit the same behavior.

Thanks!

Steve

PS Editing to add log:

I 16:22:54 ImgBurn Version 2.4.1.0 started!

I 16:22:54 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 16:22:54 Total Physical Memory: 523,268 KB - Available: 215,360 KB

W 16:22:54 Drive E:\ (FAT32) does not support single files > 4 GB in size.

W 16:22:54 Drive F:\ (FAT32) does not support single files > 4 GB in size.

W 16:22:54 Drive G:\ (FAT32) does not support single files > 4 GB in size.

I 16:22:55 Initialising SPTI...

I 16:22:55 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 16:22:55 Found 1 DVD-ROM and 1 DVD

Edited by stevew

If the drive reports that the source disc contains 290,445 sectors, that's how many ImgBurn will read.

The image being larger certainly isn't going to be causing corrupt files, after all, you've got more data, not less.

The files will still be at the same LBA within the image no matter what size it is.

If in doubt, make an image of the disc in ImgBurn and mount it in daemon tools. Then compare the files on the original cd to the virtual cd using whatever tool you prefer to use for that kind of thing (I like Beyond Compare).

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem and it's very annoying because there are some file that can't be read in virtual server. I've uploaded the logs and you can see clearly that the numbers of sectors from an iso image is different from the image written with dvd-rw. Also isobuster reports different size.

image from dvd

2,295,104 blocks

4,700,372,992 bytes

iso image

2,183,040 blocks

4,470,865,920 bytes

And another problem is that imgburn doesn't remember the number of sectors to load from bootable disc tab after I reopen it.

dvdrw.log

iso.log

Edited by dann23

Drives will always report the full size (2,295,104 sectors) of DVD+RW media when the 'GET CAPACITY' command is issued and DVD+RW media is present, that's just how they work.

Try verifying when you burn, it might actually show a problem with the disc. I bet there's no problem installing from a disc in virtual server when it's 100% readable.

And another problem is that imgburn doesn't remember the number of sectors to load from bootable disc tab after I reopen it.

It's not supposed to remember it. Nothing on that tab gets remembered as it's not something you'd generally use.

Make a project file if you want certain settings for a particular build.

there is no problem with the disc. the iso generated by imgburn its not good. there are files that can't be read in virtual server

I've built the same iso with nero and no errors. It has 4,471,324,672 bytes and 2,183,264 blocks (iso built with imgburn has 2,183,040 blocks and 4,470,865,920 bytes)

Edited by dann23

So do as I mentioned before and mount the ISO in DT and compare the folder content.

Just because the images are different sizes doesn't mean it's wrong. It will have built the image based on the options you'd selected.

Do both images (ImgBurn and Nero) have the same number of files in them? If not, maybe some were hidden / system and you'd not enabled the option to include those types files.

Oh and you might like to make sure you've got ImgBurn from the ImgBurn.com mirror. I made a couple of 'after last minute changes' on 2.4.1.0, one of which was to do with correcting OS installation disc settings. I doubt the other mirror sites picked up on it and so would have a slightly different build/version of 2.4.1.0

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.