What am I doing wrong?

burf

Hi - - Maybe I'm brain-locking... but ever since I upgraded to the latest version, whenever I've burned a CD-RW, it seems to be writing as a CD-ROM, and I can't rewrite anymore.

Am I missing a setting that may have been reset, after the upgrade?

Thanks for any help!

Thanks, Cynthia.

Just a note, I'm fixing a friend's laptop, and I had to load 1 small file, so I burned it onto a cd-rw, thinking I could rewrite. So, you'll see it's a very small burn.

I 18:12:18 ImgBurn Version 2.4.1.0 started!

I 18:12:18 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 18:12:18 Total Physical Memory: 785,904 KB - Available: 343,736 KB

I 18:12:19 Initialising SPTI...

I 18:12:19 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 18:12:19 Found 1 DVD

Edited by burf

Not on that disk.

Before writing, in the device window, the profile was CD-RW.

After writing, the profile was CD-ROM.

Never happened before the upgrade to the latest version... which is why I was thinking some setting changed... but I have no clue.

I have an old version of DT installed, but it's disabled (and has no option for *hide cdr*).

Never had alcohol, clone cd, or any other app like that installed.

Any other ideas?

Is there somewhere I can download the previous version, just to test?

I upgraded last week, and since, I'm having the problem.

Thanks for the help!

Edited by burf

The program isn't doing anything, if your drive reports the disc as CD-ROM then that's what it thinks it is.

The only time that's not true is when some filter driver is intercepting the commands / response and changing it on the fly - which is what DAEMON Tools would do.

Exactly which version of DT do you have installed?

Version 3.47.

I just did a test, just dropping a small file onto the drive, & letting windows burn it.

Everything went fine. And it's still showing up as CR-RW.

As I said, a disk would show up as CD-RW in ImgBurn & XP, but after writing, it showed as CD_ROM, in ImGBurn, XP & CD-DVD Diagnostic. So, something seems to be happening with ImgBurn, when it's writing... at least to me.

Thanks again...

I appreciate you guys working with me on this... it's weird...

===============================================

Filter Driver Load Order - ImgBurn v2.4.1.0

===============================================

Upper Device Filter: redbook

Upper Class Filter: [None Found]

Device: CD/DVD-ROM Device

Lower Class Filter: PxHelp20

Lower Device Filter: imapi

Filter Name: redbook

File Name: C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\redbook.sys

File Version: 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)

File Description: Redbook Audio Filter Driver

Product Name: Microsoft

That's perfectly normal, ImgBurn always closes/finalises the discs.

Closed doesn't mean it cannot be erased.

If the quick/full format commands work in ImgBurn then it's deffo not the drive that thinks it's a CD-ROM, it's some other software messing with the responses.

Thanks for clarifying, about what *closing* means.

There's no other software running.

I've tested burning with XP, as well as a couple of other apps, on a new CD-RW disk, and all went well. Then I burned it with ImgBurn, and it made it un-rewritable again.

Weird, but true.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Yup... of course, i tried (numerous times).

The normal popup would appear, saying it will erase everything... then I'd get a popup to choose the type of media... then it would say it's an incompatible format.

I posted the log above... I'll post another one below.

It's cheap stock - - Maxell.

Says CD-RW on the box & disk.

As I said, I tested another new disk, just dropping it onto my drive, in XP (Win Explorer), and it burned fine. Then, I erased it (with ImgBurn), and then loaded the same file into ImgBurn... it read the disk profile as CD-RW... I burned it, then the profile said CD-ROM, and I can't erase it.

It's strange, because I've done it a thousand times with ImgBurn, with no problems, until I updated it last week (from 2.40 to 2.41). Maybe I'll try uninstalling, and doing a clean reinstall of it.

The profile as ImgBurn reads the CD-RW now:

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-112D 1.24 (ATA)

Current Profile: CD-ROM

Disc Information:

Erasable: No

Sessions: 1

Sectors: 9,488

Size: 19,431,424 bytes

Time: 02:08:38 (MM:SS:FF)

TOC Information:

Session 1...

-> Track 01 (Mode 1, LBA: 0 - 9487)

-> LeadOut (LBA: 9488)

And the burn log of this disk (did a test *burn* first)... it does say the destination media type is CD-RW:

; //****************************************\\

; ImgBurn Version 2.4.1.0 - Log

; Thursday, 12 June 2008, 07:26:21

; \\****************************************//

;

;

I 07:19:09 ImgBurn Version 2.4.1.0 started!

I 07:19:09 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 07:19:09 Total Physical Memory: 785,904 KB - Available: 416,868 KB

I 07:19:10 Initialising SPTI...

I 07:19:10 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 07:19:10 Found 1 DVD

Edited by burf

That log didn't actually include anything about the erase process, nor did the one you posted earlier.

If you haven't already done an uninstall / reinstall, try turning off the 'Perform OPC Before Write' option in the settings on the Write tab.

2.4.1.0 defaults to it being off and your log still shows it's on.

There's just nothing that I can do in my code to make a disc look like anything other than what it really is.... that's to say, I couldn't make the issue you're having happen even if I wanted to.

Do you have access to any other drives? Do they also see this disc as a CD-ROM now?

If I thought it would do any good I'd dig my 112 out the cupboard and run some tests.

The log of a failed burn is at the bottom.

I just changed that setting.

I have one more disc left, and will do a test.

Yup, I tested it on a laptop... same thing.

Thanks for the thought about your old 112... hopefully, it was that OPC setting, whatever that is ;)

; ImgBurn Version 2.4.1.0 - Log

; Saturday, 14 June 2008, 08:55:08

; \\****************************************//

;

;

I 08:52:05 ImgBurn Version 2.4.1.0 started!

I 08:52:05 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 08:52:05 Total Physical Memory: 785,904 KB - Available: 268,424 KB

I 08:52:05 Initialising SPTI...

I 08:52:05 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 08:52:05 Found 1 DVD

I 08:54:30 Device: [0:1:0] PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-112D 1.24 (I:) (ATA)

I 08:54:30 Media Type: CD-RW (Speeds: 4x, 10x, 16x, 20x, 24x, 32x, 40x, 48x)

See now this is the other thing I find a bit weird, 32x is the fastest CD-RW you can get.

They'd have 'ultra speed' / 'ultra speed+' stamped all over them.

I've only ever used Verbatim CD-RW's though.

What speed are those discs you're using actually supposed to be?

Have your tried removing whatever version of SPTD you have installed. ?

3.47 (August 25, 2004)

Fixed lockup with some images containing bad sectors made by Alcohol (MDS)

Fixed Nero InCD formatting problem with DAEMON Tools present

Fixed atapi.sys locking problem (as a result, some emulation ability is removed for PCD5 until new release)

Maybe it was a bodge job to fix formatting problem in 3.47

Am sure his disc's are meant to be 4x cdrw and appear to be so then they just show up faster

Have you used any firmware editing program such as MediaCodeSpeedEdit (though, from memory, that only changes DVD speeds, not CDs)? As LUK says, I can't believe those discs have those write speeds (and your first log in post 3 showed them as only 4x). With those high speeds, they actually look more like CD-Rs. If so, I wonder if they are being misreported as RW discs to begin with.

Also, have you tried to erase the disc in any other burning program? EG Ner0.

Finally, delete the PXHelp20 filter. It's unnecessary.

Regards

@Lightning... Those speeds, are the speeds that show up, after the burn that seems to make the discs CD-ROM... when I try to do a forced erase, and it asks me to choose the format.

The actual rating of those disks are up to 4X - - I took a bunch of them from work, a while back - - so they're not recent discs.

@dontasciime... not exactly sure what the SPTD layer is, other than it was probably installed with Daemon. But, nothing's changed in my system, other than upgrading to the new version of ImgBurn. I did a search on my system for sptd.sys, and it came up empty... as well as checking in my registry, in current control set/services... nothing.

@blutach... nah, I never played with this drive, only flashed the firmware, with *real* Pioneer firmware. I've tried to erase the discs with another computer... a no go.

All that said, I'm starting to wonder if my 112D is the culprit... when I put a new disc in, it's lagging more than normal, in reading the disc profile. Whereas my laptop, immediately gets the profile with an older, inferior drive.

Not sure if I'll exchange (I still have a few months), or just get a newer model.

Any recommendations on a new drive, since you guys know a helluva lot more than me ;)

And thanks so much, for hanging in there with me!

Did a quick search, reviews seem to favor the Sony Optiarc AD-7200A, and the DVR-115D, which I suspect will be what I get, if I return my old 112D. But, I'm open to any suggestions ;)

Edited by burf

Some Pioneer 112 drives did have problems with CD media. See if it is still under warranty and find a link to have pioneer replace it they did a mini recall on some of them in USA could not seem to find link to UK or Europe but US had a recall in place for affected drives

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.