Formatting when it doesn't seem necessary

Cul

I'm running ImgBurn Version 2.4.0.0 , and for some reason everytime I use a DVD+RW (Verbatims), IMG wants to format the disc.

I used to get the message: You will lose all data etc if you proceed with burn. and I'd always click ok but now I don't seem to be getting that option.

What am I doing wrong or am I missing something here?

I installed it on some friends laptop and while impressed with the ease of IMG they queried why it wanted to format everytime they put a dvd in and just wanted to burn an avi or similar.

I've had a quick look through the FAQ's and guides and I may of overlooked an entry, if so a link to it will suffice. If not a bit advice I'm sure will do the trick.

Thank you.

(I'm assuming a log is not neccasary here)

Edited by Cul

First of all, please update ImgBurn.

It seems you're doing a quick erase (which resets the formatted state) before burning your DVD+RW and this isn't necessary for this type of media: simply proceed as usual, without quick erasing, and when you click the burn button you'll be asked to overwrite your DVD+RW disc, to which you should answer yes. You'll have to do one last Full Erase though so that the disc gets formatted :thumbup:

Other programs can mess up the 'formatted' status of the disc, ImgBurn does not. (Check the disc info panel on the right of the main window)

When you've formatted it once you shouldn't ever need to do it again. DVD+RW supports direct overwrite and that's what ImgBurn will use on a properly formatted DVD+RW.

First of all, please update ImgBurn.

It seems you're doing a quick erase (which resets the formatted state) before burning your DVD+RW and this isn't necessary for this type of media: simply proceed as usual, without quick erasing, and when you click the burn button you'll be asked to overwrite your DVD+RW disc, to which you should answer yes. You'll have to do one last Full Erase though so that the disc gets formatted :thumbup:

Sorry for taking so long to reply and thankyou for your advice.

I wasn't doing quick erase's as I wasn't given that option.

I used to be given that option(on my older version of Img) and would usually skip the Q/erase option and just overwrite as you say above.

I've just installed the latest version and I'll see how that goes :) .

I have a copy of an OS that I want to burn and this is in the read me text:-

BURN BOOTABLE .ISO AT VERY SLOW SPEED ( use ISO-Burner or BURNCDCC ) ... AND INSTALL FROM BOOT

Now I've not done this before and I was wondering should I let Img do it at it's current default speed(I'm guessing here) or would I be advised to burn it at Img's slowest speed?

I'm heading over to FAQ's and the Guides right now so I'm assuming I'll find the answer there anyway!:)

Thanks again for replying.

cheers

There is no option to skip the erase/format.

When burning onto DVD+RW media, either its 'Formatted' status is 'Yes' and the program will do direct overwrite or it's not and it'll prompt to format. If you don't format you can't continue.

Ok. Ta.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.