ImgBurn doesn't do anything.

Lord Crazya

Hello, this is my first post. I've read through the forums and FAQs and haven't found anything quite like what I've been experiencing. I've run ImgBurn for quite some time now and is by far my burning program of choice (hence why I want it to work rather than getting a new program to do it).

So I installed ImgBurn 2.4.1.0 and then ran it, hoping to burn an ISO. The program showed its splash screen and then the visual selection page (the "What would you like to do?" page) and the log says this:

ImgBurn Version 2.4.1.0 started!

Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

Total Physical Memory: 3,143,892 KB - Available: 2,430,716 KB

Initialising SPTI...

Searching for SCSI /ATAPI devices...

Found 1 DVD +/- RW/RAM!

and then it freezes once you click on anything. It freezes immediately when you click on either of the menu bars (which is why I wasn't able to copy & paste the log), and it freezes after displaying part or all of the next screen when you click on one of the buttons in the "What would you like to do?" groupbox.

Here are my system specs:

A new Lenovo Thinkpad T61 with:

2.5 Intel Core 2 Duo 6MB L2

4 GB DDR2 RAM

Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-862 removable drive, with the newest firmware.

TinyXP R9 - which is basically a minimal version of Windows XP with SP3. I've got the latest .NET framework and all the latest drivers for everything from Lenovo. It's a clean install other than the drivers and has no malware on it, I've scanned it and it should be working fine.

I've never had any problems with ImgBurn on my other computers before, including laptops. I just figured it would be an easy fix or some problem.

My DVD burner works, I've used Windows Media Player to burn a CD already and Nero to burn a data DVD. I can't think of what it would be, but I'm assuming it has something to do with a conflict in my operating system or a conflict with a program, but I'm not sure what it would be.

If anyone else has had this problem it would be very much appreciated if you could help me out.

Thanks!

I take it there's nothing useful written in the status bar?

When frozen, is it consuming cpu cycles?

When the program freezes up, Windows Task Manager reports that it is consuming 0%CPU and anywhere from 20,068Kb to 20,080kb memory. And at the frozen point the menu bar and status bar of imgBurn, as well as the menubar of the log, are completely white.

They'll be white if you put another window on top of them and then close it, I'm sure they shouldn't be otherwise.

Do all the various options on the ez-mode picker screen make the program freeze?

What software have you actually installed on that build of XP SP3?

It's a bit of a weird issue for the entire app to get stuck like that... it's certainly not anything I've ever come across before.

They'll be white if you put another window on top of them and then close it, I'm sure they shouldn't be otherwise.

Do all the various options on the ez-mode picker screen make the program freeze?

What software have you actually installed on that build of XP SP3?

It's a bit of a weird issue for the entire app to get stuck like that... it's certainly not anything I've ever come across before.

Ok all of the software that could be possibly relevant to ImgBurn I'm assuming would be anything that has access to an optical drive or the internet... so here we go:

Firefox 3 (I can't imagine a problem)

Windows Media Player 9 (haven't updated, I think eXPerience leaves out WMP 11 for some reason)

Ad-Aware 2008

Spybot Search & Destroy

AVG free edition

DVD Shrink 3.2

DVD Decrypter

Video Lan VLC (maybe a problem, I dunno. VLC is such an odd program sometimes)

Daemon Tools Lite (very possibly it, but it isn't running normally. I understand it uses rootkit technologies, but I don't know if it is bad or what. I figure I can always wipe and reinstall if it is bad)

Tortoise SVN (kinda like a Package Installer or Manager but for windows... I only installed this because of GMOD 10 through Steam)

and then a few random games through steam, EVE online demo, and a few other things that couldn't mess with it at all. I'm not sure what it could be.

I'm going to try to do it in safe mode to see if I can do that, and I'll also try various configurations without certain programs running and I'll report back shortly.

I don't think this is related to the drives at all, if it were, the 'Create image file from folders/files' would still work.

Also, most the drive stuff is done in threads and so the GUI would still paint itself even if the drive code gets stuck.

Your best bet would be to load the program, press F8 to enabled debug mode and then press one of the options on the mode picker screen. If it's I/O related the log window might tell us something, but really I need the last bit of text from the statusbar.

Ok, I did some testing, and this is what I got:

I attempted to do the F8 thing at the load of ImgBurn. The first time I did it I accidently pressed it twice, so then it was disabled again and it froze. Every other time I tried it it would freeze upon me hitting F8 (I could really only tell because the buttons wouldn't highlight at mouseover as to the exact moment).

I then tried to run it in Windows Safe mode and it worked fine. I guess I could have tried the command line controls of ImgBurn, but I never really thought of that before now...

So I'm going to guess that it is definitely either a driver or program conflict...

EDIT:

That is really strange. So I rebooted back into regular windows mode and clicked on ImgBurn... the main screen loaded fine, but without the log. I enabled the log with ctrl alt L and it came up to. It seems to be working without any changes made...

I'm wondering what happened. I have restarted the computer a number of times before this, so I know the restart alone couldn't be it. I know what windows should be doing in safe mode but once they got past windows 2000 I lost track of what new files do what and when.

Well, I guess it is working but not solved... I can't think of what went right.

Thank you for your help, I'll continue to check this thread frequently and hopefully to answer any questions if this comes up again with anyone else so we can find out what really caused it.

Edited by Lord Crazya

Just pressing F8 makes it hang?!

Sounds as if you have much bigger problems then as all that does is set a variable in the program to 'true'.

I'd start by looking at any programs you're running that are supposed to keep you safe. i.e. antivirus, antispyware/malware etc.

They're the ones that hook into the OS and therefore most likely to mess things up.

Sorry, I made an error a while back. Either my connection, my computer, or the forums screwed up when I had made an edit to my previous post, because I had edited it about 10 minutes after originally submitting it. I'll repost it just so everyone can see it:

EDIT:

That is really strange. So I rebooted back into regular windows mode and clicked on ImgBurn... the main screen loaded fine, but without the log. I enabled the log with ctrl alt L and it came up to. It seems to be working without any changes made...

I'm wondering what happened. I have restarted the computer a number of times before this, so I know the restart alone couldn't be it. I know what windows should be doing in safe mode but once they got past windows 2000 I lost track of what new files do what and when.

Well, I guess it is working but not solved... I can't think of what went right.

Thank you for your help, I'll continue to check this thread frequently and hopefully to answer any questions if this comes up again with anyone else so we can find out what really caused it.

It has burned 2 cds and a dvd well now, so I know it is working perfectly. Thank you Lightning, your software is awesome.

As for the enditall2, I don't have the pcworld or whatever that was subscription although it seems like an interesting program. Since the problem *appears* to be fixed, I'm going to go ahead and assume it won't happen again on my computer, but it may for others.

I'm still at a loss as to what went wrong though.

Driver gone wrong. At various times, I have had all those progs on mine simultaneously except for Tortoise. Hope things go well for you in the future.

Regards

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.