Tooltips for all the buttons? (SOLVED)

Dstruct

Hello!

I'm pretty new to ImgBurn and always ask myself which function all the little buttons have. Is there an option to enable tooltip help when hovering them with the mouse or something like that?

No help in there but only those "Funny Quotes"?

SOLVED

Edited by Dstruct

there are some tooltips, but we rely on the guides section and this forum for your help.

we also suggest you keep ImgBurn on Default settings as well, unless you know exactly what everything does.

ImgBurn was designed to be used "out of the box" for most users, so there is little need to know ALL of its functions/settings . Anything you want to know, just post a thread :thumbup:

Sorry, but that's not right. I'm think I can say that I have a bit more knowledge about computers than the average user.

Still, icons and buttons without any description can be a pain in the ass. I wanna be sure which function I will trigger before clicking anything. But at the moment it can be a speculation sometimes. Especially if you use the program just once a month or so. You always forget things.

Why not displaying small hints in the status bar when hovering button with the mouse? Shouldn't be too hard to implement I guess.

If they're not immediately obvious then it's probably stuff you'd need a deeper understanding of drives/burning to appreciate.

Sorry, but that's not right. I'm think I can say that I have a bit more knowledge about computers than the average user.

I wanna be sure which function I will trigger before clicking

And there it is, READ said option and understanding it. The tooltips that are included are sufficient for most and If you are a more advanced user, research [google] before clicking that option.

And there it is, READ said option and understanding it. The tooltips that are included are sufficient for most and If you are a more advanced user

That's the problem. I don't get tooltips here. If I hover a button (say any if the small buttons in writer mode) nothing happens. So are there any or are there no tooltips? I'm confused now.

Edited by Dstruct

There ARE tooltips for all buttons in all 5 modes ( just tried them all myself). theres even tooltips in the EZ Mode Picker window.

Youa re using the current version arnt you ? v 2.4.1.0

Yes, I'm using 2.4.1.0. Is there any option I've disabled maybe?

Edited by Dstruct

theres an option to turn off "funny quotes" but not to turn off tooltips afaik

after a quick search of the forum, it looks like it may be ZoneAlarm or AVG free causing the issue of not seeing any tooltips.

have aread of this thread HERE see if disabling zonealarm or AVG ( if you have them installed) cures the non show of tooltips

Import this reg file to enable tooltips justinfo.reg

Or this one to set explorer advanced settings to same as mine my_advanced_explorer_settings.reg

Thanks! But it's not the "ShowInfoTip". No change (of course I logged of from Windows and on again to be sure). Then I thought it might be the "EnableBallonTips" entry. Also no change.

And then I had another idea. In tweakUI I had "Enable mouse hot tracking effects" disabled, but still no tooltips in ImgBurn if I enable those. I don't know ...

Edited by Dstruct

What OS are you running?

Is there anything 'odd' about it? (and by 'odd', I mean something that might make it different to my standard XP Pro English version)

If it's XP, are you No SP, SP1, SP2 or SP3 ?

It would be weird for tooltips to be there in other programs but not ImgBurn. You really can't get a tooltip up on *any* button/picture?

What OS are you running?

Is there anything 'odd' about it? (and by 'odd', I mean something that might make it different to my standard XP Pro English version)

If it's XP, are you No SP, SP1, SP2 or SP3 ?

It would be weird for tooltips to be there in other programs but not ImgBurn. You really can't get a tooltip up on *any* button/picture?

I'm running german Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3. Nothing "odd" about it I think. At least I dind't use nLite or something like this to remove contents and services from my installation CD ...

And no, I can't get any tooltips to show up in ImgBurn - no matter how long a leave the mouse on a button. In all other applications (Windows Media Player, WinRAR, VLC, Foobar2000, Firefox - just to name a few), tooltips are shown properly.

Edited by Dstruct

• 2 weeks later...

I just found the reason. My own mistake, sorry.

I've put a imgburn.EXE.MANIFEST text file with this

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<assembly
xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1"
manifestVersion="1.0">
<assemblyIdentity
processorArchitecture="x86"
version="5.1.0.0"
type="win32"
name="imgburn.exe"/>
<description>ImgBurn</description>
<trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v2">
<security>
<requestedPrivileges>
<requestedExecutionLevel
level="asInvoker"
uiAccess="false"/>
</requestedPrivileges>
</security>
</trustInfo>
</assembly>

content into my ImgBurn folder. And this caused the tooltip problem.

I've did this because I got this hint from the developer of Total Commander to solve/workaround a flickering problem with Nvidia graphiccard drivers on rotated displays. This flickering also is there in ImgBurn and it was "fixed" by my imgburn.EXE.MANIFEST too. But obviously it introduced new problem(s) ;)

http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=19033 (if you can read german - my username is "Dandruff" there)

Edited by Dstruct

Doesn't that just disable themes or something?

i don't know as i don't use the new design themes in xp.

You could do that via the compatibility options when you right click the program exe.

no as this doesn't fix the flickering menus and checkboxes. the "fix" with this manifest file does.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.