imgBurn doesn't find my drive

Adlez

I've used imgburn for a long time. It's a fantastic piece of software.

I recently moved from Vista 32 to Vista 64bit. Since then when I open imgburn I get the following error when opening...

---------------------------

ImgBurn

I/O Error!

Device: [1:0:0] (D:) (ATA)

CDB: 12 00 00 00 60 00

Interpretation: Inquiry

Reason: The parameter is incorrect.

Retry Cancel

I 08:44:25 ImgBurn Version 2.4.1.0 started!

I 08:44:25 Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Edition (6.0, Build 6001 : Service Pack 1)

I 08:44:25 Total Physical Memory: 2,095,632 KB - Available: 1,014,384 KB

I 08:44:25 Initialising SPTI...

I 08:44:25 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

W 08:44:48 No devices detected!

The FAQ suggests chaning the transfer length to 64KB but this doesn't make a difference.

To me it looks like something core is missing from the Windows installation. The drive has always been found before with imgburn. Windows also shows the drive as a DVD RW. If I install CloneDVD and change the interface imgburn works fine. I would sooner not have to install other software though. All settings are defaults.

Ideas?

*Edit*

For the record I have just installed Ashampoo and that too doesn't detect my drive.

The drive is found in Device Manager as a "TSSTcorpCDDVDW SH-S203B", sounds like a crappy make.

Edited by Adlez

I've been looking around and I think the drive is related to Samsung. However any firmware update programs they have do not seem to see the drive. The drivers in use at the moment are all Microsoft ones.

The drive connects to the computer via SATA.

Yes, TSSTcorp is samsung and the S203B is an SATA drive - we could have told you that much :)

You need to find out exactly which controller it's connected to.

Start by finding out which chipset your motherboard uses, then see if there are any 3rd party controller chips on the board (giving you additional SATA ports etc).

If you have a manual for the board it should be easy to lookup which port the drive is using and then which controller that port is running from.

When you know that info you can just visit the controller manufacturers website and download the latest driver.

The PC was built by someone else with no manual left. The chipset is from VIA. I have just read somewhere else to try uninstalling the VIA chipset drivers so that Windows uses its own inbuilt ones. This however hasn't worked. I will attempt to reinstall the VIA drivers.

How do I find what 'controller' the drive uses? I know the mobo only has two SATA ports, one being used by the HDD and the other by the DVD drive. Forgive me as I am not a hardware guru in any shape or form :(

Ah well if it only has 2 ports there will only be 1 controller.

Look in Device Manager and see what's listed under 'IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers' and then what's listed under 'SCSI and RAID controllers'.

Screenshots may help here too :)

If you have no joy with the samsung on the via controller, get yourself a silicon image 3512 pci card for

I would invest but the drive worked flawlessly in Vista 32bit. I guess I would most likely just leave CloneDVD installed to get around the issue. I was just hoping that I was missing something silly.

post-13159-1216458448_thumb.jpg

Edited by Adlez

Whilst that's fine for ImgBurn, no other program that uses SPTI is gonna work until you fix the issue or work around it (by getting a card).

I'm sure there must be a way to uninstall the Via drivers properly or roll them back. Did you actually install them yourself in the first place? If you did, were the ones you installed the latest available from viaarena.com ?

I installed them first time round. I've tried uninstalling and yes just installed the latest from viaarena. Didn't work either time. It doesn't surprise me though as this motherboard does seem crap. I was slightly annoyed when I saw that it only had 2 SATA ports. The only program I tend to use for burning is imgburn anyway.

Open Device manager and find your Via IDE controller right click on it and choose Update driver then tick install from a list or specific location and then click next and choose Don 't search I will choose the drive to install.

Then choose the Standard ms driver

Or maybe you can use add and remove to unistall the Via Ide (reboot after for everything)

post-26-1216460009_thumb.jpg

Try the Via one then, then reinstall the whole computer if no good smash it or just simply change to an IDE writer or another sata writer (not samsung) or get and addon sata card like silicon image 3512 (do not get Via sata card as they can be crappy especially with samsung writers) as you have already found out.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.