Yet another I/O Error (new Sata DL Drive)

ripjack

Hi all,

I've just purchased my first SATA drive and cannot seem to burn DVDs with it.

I get the following error

1houc1.jpg

I've tried single layer as well as DL dvds and I still get the same error. I also noticed that imgburn says my drive is in a RAID (which it isn't, and disabled in BIOS). the firmware seems to be up to date and I can't really think of any other base I haven't covered.

Log has been attached for your viewing pleasure :)

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

ImgBurn.log

Hi and welcome to the forum, ripjack! :)

1. Make sure you have not attached it to on of those JMicron connections. At least my instruction book says not to attached ATAPI (writers) to such a connection.

2. In the BIOS there should be a setting to configure the SATA. The options are usually RAID/Standard IDE/AHCI. The default should be: Standard IDE

Upgrade your motherboard's storage drivers to the latest version available, or if you're already using the latest version, uninstall them and try with Windows' default ones. Also please post your Filter Driver Load Order (it's in the Tools menu) :)

Hi guys,

@ Cynthia... I have an oldish motherboard (ASRock P4VM800) and I don't think it has JMicron connectors. I've read through the manual and searched online just to make sure. I have also gone back into the BIOS and everything is set set as it should be. :(

@mmalves...I've just run "update drivers" for the drive and it is up to date.

Here's the "Driver Load Order" as requested.

===============================================

Filter Driver Load Order - ImgBurn v2.4.1.0

===============================================

Upper Device Filter: [None Found]

Upper Class Filter: [None Found]

Device: CD/DVD-ROM Device

Lower Class Filter: dvd43llh

Lower Class Filter: cdrbsdrv

Lower Device Filter: [None Found]

Filter Name: dvd43llh

File Name: C:\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\dvd43llh.sys

File Version: 3.5.000 [3.5.0.0]

File Description: dvd43llh.sys

Product Name: DVD For Free

Product Version: 3.5.000 [3.5.0.0]

Company Name: RIF

Copyright: Copyleft

Edited by ripjack

Ok well I'm gonna assume the drive is connect to that 'VIA VT8237 RAID Controller'. (That explains why the OS is reporting the drive as 'RAID')

Have you installed a proper VIA driver to make the device look like that or is that just how Windows detected it?

I'm not 100% sure but I think that's the way Windows detected it as the "Rollback driver" option is greyed out.

I don't know if this helps but it shows VIA Technologies as the driver provider and Microsoft as the digital signer.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?source=ig&a...ssues&meta=

http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageI...mp;SubCatID=143

AS b4 check bios to see if SATA is set to use IDE thats best option not AHCI or RAID or even not AUTO

see if there are any other sata ports to use or any other options in bios somewhere to enable disable RAID maybe also as well try using the VIA RAID management tool or whatever its called or use an older driver version than the 1 i listed as VIA sata is problematic at best and latest driver is not always the best one.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?source=ig&a...ssues&meta=

http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageI...mp;SubCatID=143

AS b4 check bios to see if SATA is set to use IDE thats best option not AHCI or RAID or even not AUTO

see if there are any other sata ports to use or any other options in bios somewhere to enable disable RAID maybe also as well try using the VIA RAID management tool or whatever its called or use an older driver version than the 1 i listed as VIA sata is problematic at best and latest driver is not always the best one.

Hi dontasciime,

I tried those drivers and after restarting, my writer dissappears ( (imgburn says no writer installed). So I just did a rollback and it reappeared.

I have gone into BIOS again and I think everything is the way I want it to be. I do not have an option for AHCI though, instead there are these options [AUTO], [CD/DVD] and [ARMD]. I have been choosing [CD/DVD].

This is verified also by the boot screen as it shows my IDE hard drives as well as the writer as an ATAPI device.

It's getting pretty late here 1:25am NZ time, so I think I'm gonna head to bed soon. Was hoping to get this sorted today... oh well :ermm: Will get onto your other suggestions tomorrow though.

Many thanks to all

Edited by ripjack

@ dontasciime : Yup, I tried it and it won't go past the boot screen.

@ Lightning UK!: I guess you read my mind hehe. I did one better and bought a new IDE drive this afternoon. I'll be putting the SATA one aside until next weekend when I do a long overdue system overhaul :)

Thanks very much for the friendly help, much appreciated.

I'll be putting the SATA one aside until next weekend when I do a long overdue system overhaul

you could always buy a sata to Usb adapter from ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-in-1-USB-2-0-To-SA...p3286.m14.l1318

My current PC is being promoted to HTPC status and the SATA drive will be going into the new computer with an up2date mobo which will easily support it. (Did my research this time lol)

p.s. I couldn't help but laugh @ the

Edited by ripjack

Even brand new just released motherboards do not always get on with SATA writers.

Luck plays a big part in it.

Sellers on Ebay want to grab your attention with low price items but make up difference on postage to even out price or maybe it's a way to avoid higher ebay fee's : :rolleyes:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.