Optiarc 7170S I/O Error

Bjoerkis

Maybe ditch vista for xp and when your using different drivers see if it works then, When it does you can then blame vista drivers.

And you can report about the program as many times as you like but when your report is wrong (and is blaming the wrong thing in this case your blaming the program when it clearly is not actually the program but something on your system that is not quite right) no one is gonna take it seriously.

Your hardware/drivers are at fault.

Wipe your install and get as many drivers as you can dated from early to latest and keep reinstalling your operating system until you get a stable system (which should be possible but bad drivers can cause untold mysteries) or return it to PC world or wherever you bought it from and get something that works as it should.

You can vote with your feet and just use all the other programs you mentioned, no one is forcing you to use ImgBurn.

My LG BR is fine On ICH7 set to IDE mode in BIOS (using same firmware as yours I bet)

Please stop with your crap responses when you don't know what you are talking about.

I don't by systems from PC World or any other retail shop. I build my own and have been building them with top notch hardware for over a decade now. I will not waste hours of my time reformatting my system when every thing else works just fine. Instead of randomly blaming peoples hardware without any kind of valid suggestion maybe you should consider the lowest common denominator. I.E. everything else works imgburn does not. Maybe that doesn't say anything to you but it does to any normally logical thinking person.

Granted I am not a huge fan of Vista but I do need to run it for testing purposes as I build systems and occasionally I get a client that actually wants Visa on their computer(s). And I do know that there are a large number of problems with Vista. But most of these are because a large number of hardware manufacturers and software developers have not bothered to make any attempt to make their products compatible with Vista. Also most of the systems out there that have Vista in them (Especially off of retail shelves) are far to underpowered to run Vista properly.

I really don't understand how you can see that "it clearly is not actually the program but something on your system that is not quite right" when you offer no evidence or reason why "something no quite right with my system" would affect only imgburn and nothing else??

What you have to say simply makes no sense and you are no help whatsoever in finding a solution to the problem.

I am trying to help the developer work out a bug. If the developer truly thinks that he has written a software program that cannot possibly have a bug in it then I guess this program is at a dead end and I will vote with my feet and move on to other programs that work just fine and are alway being improved upon because those developers know there is always room for improvement in any application (Whether for new and improved features or to remove minor bugs).

To Lightning UK. I will try your F8 option when I get back to my house later today to see if it provides any other light on the issue.

Thank you.

Carl.

Edited by Carl T

LOL

Look I have 15 actually make that 16 computers running in my house with various hardware with over 70 dvd writers, Actually don't matter your right I am wrong.

Edit 24/07/08

Meant to add this last night but had something else to do.

Carl take this whichever way you want.. You joined this forum to ? well, to post a response add weight to dann23's argument

So I guess that confirms that the problem is with ImagBurn's driver and not the cable, drive etc.... I have a similar problem with a relatively new LG Blu-Ray / HD reader/ DVD burner. Anytime I record an image and then put a blank disc in and try to switch imageburn from reading to writing it locks up trying to look at the disc. I can't even end task on it. (The program closes but the process does not) the only way to unlock the system is to reboot the computer (Usually twice).

I think it is a problem with ImageBurn's interaction with SATA DVD-Rom drives. but whatever it is it is definately an ImageBurn problem and not the hardware's fault.

Hopefully it will get fixed in a future update.

Carl. ]

I instantly thought dann23 had joined again with different user name to add weight to their so called argument.

Anyway back to your statement "I guess that confirms that the problem is with ImagBurn's driver and not the cable, drive etc"

As pointed out there are no drivers for ImgBurn, I/O is provided by operating system and third party drivers (dll etc)

How they interact with operating system and hardware is a very very long chain whereby something can go wrong and to find out what it is (usually hardware/driver) can make you believe one thing is to blame because of logic.

If you format your computer and install vista clean and not an upgrade and you cannot get the drive to work with ImgBurn then using so called logic ImgBurn is the culprit in your eyes, well how if I am to accept your logic can you not accept my logic when I say umm my LG drive (which is the same make model as your) works fine on vista cleanly installed with ImgBurn. My logic says your drive is broken, then cable is broken (or the set of drivers vista installs at default for your hardware is not playing nicely and you then have to try a few different chipset drivers or sata controller drivers), bearing in mind a cable does not need to be broken 100% to be broken I mean that a cable might look OK, seem to be working OK, but in fact is not working as it should as in odd behaviour (drive not working as it should as in maybe 1 pin slightly pushed in ) .

I think it is a problem with ImageBurn's interaction with SATA DVD-Rom drives. but whatever it is it is definately an ImageBurn problem and not the hardware's fault.

Hopefully it will get fixed in a future update

The above is the bit I have the biggest problem with . It is drivers/hardware/chipsets/controllers/Bios/Firmware/USER/ that have the interaction problem.

You can tell me all day that nero works, isobuster/ magiciso/ burn/ nti dvd / Sorry but I have seen a lot of people use that argument when they know fine well that they are exaggerating the truth and they mean 1 other program works or they are getting the same issue in other programs and find 1 program they know has support that gets answered and use the other programs work argument whilst making out "X" program is at fault to facilitate a fix.

It may turn out that your particular drive is not broken and that on your hardware there turns out to be a bug in the code of ImgBurn whereby it only shows on your drive with your hardware.

But then you should have started your own thread / reported it as a bug instead of taking over someone else's post for support with a HTTA.

Can you also please keep an eye on/make note of exactly what's written in the statusbar when your machine hangs. Thanks.

No problem. I will let you know as soon as I get a chance to test.

TTUL.

Carl.

There's nothing I can do with this.

If I submit a command to the drive and it comes back saying it failed, all I can do is display the error code it returned - that's what the 'Sense Area' stuff is.

It's 110% out of my hands.

They're all coming back as 'unknown' (there's a lookup table within the program to convert the ASC / ASCQ numbers (bytes 12 and 13 within the sense area data) to something in plain english) because the numbers are not specific within the MMC commands. That either means the manufacturer has implemented a few extra ones or the errors are coming from some other part of your system.

As has been said time and time again in forums all over the internet, optical drives really don't like running under anything other than the standard 'ATA' mode - even 'AHCI' has its fair share of problems.

Your drive is connect to a controller running with RAID bios and a RAID driver, hence why it has 'RAID' stuck on the end of the device identifier.

[6:1:0] TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S203N SB02 (L:) (RAID)

Stranger and stranger...

This is the error I get upon issuing a certain command with a DVD-RW disc in my Samsung S203B

I 20:21:36 [5:0:0] TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S203B SB04 (O:) (SCSI)
I 20:21:36 CDB: AD 00 00 00 00 00 00 11 08 04 00 00
I 20:21:36 CDB Interpretation: Read Disc Structure - ADIP Information
E 20:21:36 SENSE: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 24 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
E 20:21:36 SENSE Interpretation: Invalid Field in CDB

and this is what you get from your S203N.

I 19:10:05 [6:1:0] TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S203N SB02 (L:) (RAID)
I 19:10:05 CDB: AD 00 00 00 00 00 00 11 08 04 00 00
I 19:10:05 CDB Interpretation: Read Disc Structure - ADIP Information
E 19:10:05 SENSE: F0 05 00 00 00 00 00 0B 08 E2 74 87 00 37 00 00 00 37 00 00 01 00 80 84
E 19:10:05 SENSE Interpretation: Unknown (0x00, 0x37)

Remember that these drives are or should be almost identical.

The entire sense area structure returned to the program by your machine is full of...erm... crap!

maybe the sense area is different when the drive is connect to a raid controller. Just a thought. anyway the disc is erased but imgburn reports errors and I believe it could write the image if it would not stop because of the error.

Sense area data is clearly defined in the specs and it would be a bit weird if certain controllers / drivers changed the formatting - it would screw up all the programs that expect it in the documented format (like ImgBurn) !

Obviously you can't just ignore errors either, programs have to respond to them in certain ways as they don't always mean 'fatal error'.

If the errors are just plain wrong then you're a bit stuck!

Get the drive off that controller and I'm sure everything will start working just fine.

That said, I'm semi interested to try and find such a controller (as a PCI card) so I can see if they all do the same thing. Is there any chance you could get the exact model number of it?

The one in device manager might do if there's no standalone chip on the motherboard (I won't be buying a Via motherboard any time soon - yuk!)

Can you also please keep an eye on/make note of exactly what's written in the statusbar when your machine hangs. Thanks.

Hi Lighning.

So I updated imgburn to the new v. 2.4.2.0 and did not get the same freezing while initializing problem when switching over from reading to writing. I do however have a new problem which I suspect (hope) is probably a setting problem.

When I try burn the DVD from the .mds / .iso file(s) I get the following error message:

"Optimal L1 Data Zone Start LBA: None Found! (VTS_13)

This image has not been mastered correctly for burning on to a double layer (OTP track path) Disc.

None of the Cells meet the 'DVD-Video Specification' criteria for a potential laye break position"

With the option to Continue anyway Yes or No"

I am thinking that this might be related to the fact that I use Any-DVD to strip out the advertisements and some of the extras etc.

Is that likely?

If so is there a way to resolve this and still use Any-DVD to get rid of the stuff I don't want?

Or is this caused by something totally different?

btw since this is a new error should I have started a new thread?

Thanks in advance

TTUL

Carl.

When you get that error burning an ISO, just break the ISO down so you get the actual files (mount the ISO in DAEMON Tools or something) and then use Build mode to create a new image.

But why with the new version am I getting that on every ISO when I did not get that error previously?

I even tried to burn a copy of an ISO that I had successfully burned with the previous version and received that error with this new version?

Carl.

Pass.

If there are no valid cells for the LB in a given ISO then there are no valid cells. I don't recall changing / fixing anything to do with that.

If you load the MDS instead of the ISO (which the program should do automatically anyway?) the program will use the LB from within that file instead of trying to find one.

Pass.

If there are no valid cells for the LB in a given ISO then there are no valid cells. I don't recall changing / fixing anything to do with that.

If you load the MDS instead of the ISO (which the program should do automatically anyway?) the program will use the LB from within that file instead of trying to find one.

I did load the MDS. I also re-ripped the DVD and got the same message.

Carl.

Do you have DAEMON Tools installed?

If so, mount the image in that, go into read mode in ImgBurn and select the DT virtual drive, then copy + paste the disc info from the right of the main window.

I would have to guess that it's a PTP disc or something with more data on L1 than L0 (which isn't allowed on OTP discs)

Do you have DAEMON Tools installed?

If so, mount the image in that, go into read mode in ImgBurn and select the DT virtual drive, then copy + paste the disc info from the right of the main window.

I would have to guess that it's a PTP disc or something with more data on L1 than L0 (which isn't allowed on OTP discs)

Forgive my ignorance. What does "PTP" and "OTP" stand for?

Carl.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.