/PORTABLE and /SETTINGS modes

danceparty

Please excuse me if there is any oversight on my part regarding this configuration. I first launched ImgBurn with the portable and no settings switches which worked great, but every time the program is run thereafter, it produces an entry in the registry under HKCU\Software (OS is Vista Home Premium SP1). Granted it is not a showstopper, but it would be nice to have as clean of a registry as possible.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to tackle this issue and especially to Lightning for this amazing program. There should be a Nobel prize or something like that for this. :D

Edited by danceparty

Sorry for the lateness of my reply to this. The screenshot of said registry entry is posted below, if that is still necessary.

post-13239-1219269847_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the help fellas, is there some other and more convenient method to avoid this, or will it be changed in a release?

• 1 month later...

Hi Lightning,

I installed ImgBurn today on my USB stick, but i have some problems with the parameters /portable and /settings too.

I installed ImgBurn on my stick in the folder (e:)\Programme\ImgBurn.

After starting it with ImgBurn.exe /portable /settings "ImageBurn.ini" i went to Tools, Settings, General and changed the language to "Deutsch". After runnig ImgBurn a second time all things are ok and the program starts with german language file.

After it, i used an other syntax and replace /settings "ImgBurn.ini" with /settings "..\ImgBurn\ImgBurn.ini. After changing the language, ImgBurn writes ist correct to the ImgBurn.ini file, but after starting again ImgBurn will not load the .ini file and use the default parameters.

ImgBurn will function when i give it the the fully path to the ImgBurn.ini like "e:\Programme\ImgBurn\ImgBurn.ini"

Please can you look if there is a little bug in handling the path loading th settings file?

Thank you.

Regards

Bernd

If you're using '..\ImgBurn\ImgBurn.ini' you must already be in the ImgBurn folder?

If so, why bother going to the parent directory (i.e. with '..\') only to then go back into the ImgBurn one?

In any case, the code within ImgBurn for the '/SETTINGS' parameter will append the current working directory to the file name if no path is specified, otherwise it needs to be a fully qualified path.

Oh and don't forget that the program will automatically load a file call ImgBurn.ini from within the same folder as the exe.

Hi LIGHTNING,

thank you for your answer.

If you're using '..\ImgBurn\ImgBurn.ini' you must already be in the ImgBurn folder?

If so, why bother going to the parent directory (i.e. with '..\') only to then go back into the ImgBurn one?

No, it was only an example. The folder structure on my stick is an other one:

root

.....|---Programme

.........................|---PStart

.........................|---ImgBurn

.........................................|---ImgBurn.exe

.........................................|---...

For normal operation i start in the folder "PStart" and i call ..\ImgBurn\ImgBurn.exe /local /settings "..\ImgBurn\ImgBurn.ini"

For this case ImgBurn generates a ImgBurn.ini in the ImgBurn folder. After Starting ImgBurn under the same condition again ist will not find the ImgBurn.ini file and run with default parameters.

In any case, the code within ImgBurn for the '/SETTINGS' parameter will append the current working directory to the file name if no path is specified, otherwise it needs to be a fully qualified path.

To me a fully qualified path is for example e:\Programme\ImgBurn\ImgBurn.ini. But this is an absolute path. Using a relative path on a memory stick with unknown drive letters is much easier for me.

Oh and don't forget that the program will automatically load a file call ImgBurn.ini from within the same folder as the exe.

What does this mean? Can you please explain a little bit more what you mean?

Regards

Bernd

And .. is not the only option available if your file is not called that. .. goes to parent, . is the current dir, so you could have used .\ImgBurn.ini

I think XP+ may even support ... (Parent's Parent)

I know flavors of Linux/Unix support other forms too.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.