Automatic Creation of 'CERTIFICATE' Folder

DominikM

Hello !

I am creating my AVCHD DVD disks by dumping data from Data Card to HDD using HD Writer software and than burning dvd in UDF 2.5 using ImgBurn.

The latest version of the latter creates however additional 'CERTIFICATE' folder which is correct for BD disks but not for AVCHD. Power DVD 8 simply refuses to play them. So there should not be such folder in AVCHD disk.

Is there any way to disable that feature (creation of 'CERTIFICATE' folder)

thanks for your answers.

Dominik

It's actually joined on to the 'create AUDIO_TS folder' option for DVD.

Do you have any info that might help me tell the difference between an AVCHD disc and a BD disc? (like other file/folder differences)

EDIT: Are you 100% sure it's the 'certificate' folder that's causing the problem? All the burning guides I've seen for AVCHD have specifically mentioned adding the 'CERTIFICATE' and 'BDMV' folders to the list of things to burn.

I guess you'll find out for sure when you disable automatic creation of the certificate folder via that option I mentioned and test it :)

I noticed it when I tried to play AVCHD disc burn using new version of ImgBurn. PowerDVD simply stated 'unknown disc format' when there was 'CERTIFICATE' folder and everything went ok when the folder was absent.

The AVCHD dvd disc can be also created inside HD Writer from Panasonic and there is no CERTIFICATE folder.

AVCHD disc structure is derived from BD and I think that adding CERTIFICATE folder is some kind of workaround to play AVCHD disk on players that does not support AVCHD, in other words to fool them that they are playing BD disc.

I am not at home at the moment but I will list directory structures of playable and unplayable AVCHD discs during weekend (on Sunday I think)

regards !

I am glad to see this thread. I have been having problems with getting AVCHD working in a Samsung BDP 1500 player which does AVCHD. For two weeks I have been getting no disc errors. I checked a AVCHD disc that I borrowed and it didn't have certificate folder. It worked ! I then reburned my disc using Moviefactory and just the BDMV folder. That also worked. So, it does seem that the certificate folder is causing a problem.

I am getting a Sony S350 soon and that also does AVCHD. I will try both ways using that as well.

Edited by nwg

FWIW - the wiki on AVC HD shows no certificate folder in the structure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVCHD#Overview

Regards

I never thought of using Wiki to look at what it said about AVCHD. That would have saved me a couple weeks of messing about.

I have had 1080i mpeg 2 material working in the Samsung BD player. My first test was 1080p24 AVC/H264 and the certificate folder which didn't work. I am waiting to do another test without the certificate folder as I originally thought it didn't work with the progressive or 24fps. That site saids it is. I can't believe the solution would be so simple.

Go to Tools -> Settings -> Build tab, untick Create AUDIO_TS Folder and hit OK (creation of CERTIFICATE folder is linked to this option in ImgBurn 2.4.2.0) :)

The "No Disc" message sort of gives away that the player was unable to read data from the disc and not the presence or not of the CERTIFICATE folder (I think it would say something like "Invalid Disc/Format"). What brand and type of media you're using? Do you verify your burns? If it's BD-R/BD-RE, do you have FastWrite disabled or enabled?

Go to Tools -> Settings -> Build tab, untick Create AUDIO_TS Folder and hit OK (creation of CERTIFICATE folder is linked to this option in ImgBurn 2.4.2.0) :)

The "No Disc" message sort of gives away that the player was unable to read data from the disc and not the presence or not of the CERTIFICATE folder (I think it would say something like "Invalid Disc/Format"). What brand and type of media you're using? Do you verify your burns? If it's BD-R/BD-RE, do you have FastWrite disabled or enabled?

I am waiting to get hold of a Sony S350 that plays all types of DVD. I currently have access to the Samsung 1500. I am recording onto several makes of DVD+RW's and the Samsung do not recognise them unless they are DVD ROM. I have done that and got one disc working. I then reburned a different video and it didn't recognise the disc again despite still being DVD ROM'D.

I am hoping the Sony player will be easier to test with as it works with DVD+RW's

I'll do a reburn using that option unticked as I prefer to use Imgburn.

Hi again...

This is AVCHD correct directory structure. I have created it with HD Writer, using single sequence recorded with Panasonic camera.

\AVCHDTN\

\AVCHDTN\thumbnail.tdt2

\AVCHDTN\thumbnail.tidx

\BDMV\

\BDMV\index.bdmv

\BDMV\MovieObject.bdmv

\BDMV\BACKUP\

\BDMV\BACKUP\index.bdmv

\BDMV\BACKUP\MovieObject.bdmv

\BDMV\BACKUP\CLIPINF\

\BDMV\BACKUP\CLIPINF\00000.clpi

\BDMV\BACKUP\PLAYLIST\

\BDMV\BACKUP\PLAYLIST\00000.mpls

\BDMV\CLIPINF\

\BDMV\CLIPINF\00000.clpi

\BDMV\PLAYLIST\

\BDMV\PLAYLIST\00000.mpls

\BDMV\STREAM\

\BDMV\STREAM\00000.m2ts

\BDMV\index.bdmv

\BDMV\index.bdmv

\BDMV\index.bdmv

\IISVPL\

\IISVPL\00000.vpls

So there is no CERTIFICATE folder. In the case of PowerDVD 8 the folder makes disc unplayable.

Maybe it only likes the certificate folder if it's on BD media?

You could test this theory using Virtual CloneDrive and adding MediaType=BDR to the .DVD file.

It should then mount the ISO (with and without the CERTIFICATE folder) as a BDR disc. I'd be interested to hear if PowerDVD 8 will play the exact same content from a BD disc but not a DVD one.

I have the Sony S350 BD player now and I can confirm that it needs the certificate folder not burned to work. However the video is stuttery but that is the fault of the Blu Ray to AVCHD software I am using. I am using the original bitrates of the Blu Ray discs and I think the AVCHD spec doesn't go that high up.

Hmm I guess I need to extend my 'Create CERTIFICATE Folder' option from a simple 'Yes / No' checkbox to an 'Ask / Yes / No' combobox.

It doesn't even sound as if I can always leave it out when I know I'm burning directly to DVD media. I guess I could always include it when going direct to Blu-ray though, that should be safe enough.

• 2 weeks later...
I have the Sony S350 BD player now and I can confirm that it needs the certificate folder not burned to work. However the video is stuttery but that is the fault of the Blu Ray to AVCHD software I am using. I am using the original bitrates of the Blu Ray discs and I think the AVCHD spec doesn't go that high up.

Hi NWG,

I've got the same Sony BD S350 player and..... the same problems..

I want to burn a movie to a DVD+R or DVD+RW (DVD5)

I've tryed to:

- burn the BDMV and the CERTIFICATE folder onto the root of the disk using UDF 2.50, doesn't work.....

- burn only the BDMV folder onto the root of the disk using UDF 2.50, doesn't work.....

When I tryed to burn another movie, which was packed as an iso containing the BDMV and the CERTIFICATE folder, It DID work!

So both ways I've burned both folders onto the root, but only the iso worked.... strange, or not??

The BD S350 is a beauty and has great quality, but sometimes I wish I still had my PS3 which just swallowed everything.

Can someone help me explain how to burn a AVCHD movie for my Sony BD S350

Care to provide details about the ISO you burnt that DID work?

Can you copy + paste everything from the log when you burnt that file please?

Have you tried building a new disc/image based on content of the disc that does work and then seeing if that works / doesn't work?

Care to provide details about the ISO you burnt that DID work?

Can you copy + paste everything from the log when you burnt that file please?

Have you tried building a new disc/image based on content of the disc that does work and then seeing if that works / doesn't work?

Sorry, but I'm a newby when it comes to blue/ray or AVCHD.

Here are two logs.

The first log is from the ISO which works (ImgBurn_iso_does_work.log)

The second is from the BDMV and the CERTIFICATE folder which does NOT work. (ImgBurn_bdmv_certificate_does_NOT_work.log)

More info about the working movie:

Type.................: Movie

Platform.............: PS3

Compression Format...: RAR

Video Format.........: AVCHD

Codec................: x264, 2pass

Bitrate..............: 8000Kbps

Resolution...........: 1920x1080p 1280

ImgBurn_iso_does_work.log

ImgBurn_bdmv_certificate_does_NOT_work.log

Ok, what you need to do is put the disc in the drive that Nero made and ImgBurn burnt (i.e. from the top log) and then add that drive to the 'Source' box in Build mode.

i.e. put the disc back in your E: drive and add 'E:\' to the source box in Build mode.

Then click 'Build' to make a new ISO and burn that ISO to a new disc.

That way we've got 2 discs with identical files, 1 of which you know works. So if the 2nd one doesn't it must be down to the filesystem implementation. If that's the case I'll get back to you with more instructions so I can figure out why :)

Ok, what you need to do is put the disc in the drive that Nero made and ImgBurn burnt (i.e. from the top log) and then add that drive to the 'Source' box in Build mode.

i.e. put the disc back in your E: drive and add 'E:\' to the source box in Build mode.

Then click 'Build' to make a new ISO and burn that ISO to a new disc.

That way we've got 2 discs with identical files, 1 of which you know works. So if the 2nd one doesn't it must be down to the filesystem implementation. If that's the case I'll get back to you with more instructions so I can figure out why :)

Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean :unsure:

Correct me if I'm wrong.

1) I put the working disc in my E: drive and create an image on my hard disc

2) Burn the new image to a new disc

3) Check if the new disc works

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.