yet another user with I/O problems

JRinGeorgia

Hi all, been trying to use ImageBurn to make copies of DVD movies but getting the dreaded I/O error. I am using Sony DVD+R discs (on a different forum, where I was advised to use DVDFab for ripping and ImgBurn for writing, it was recommended to use either Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim, or Sony discs) . Most of the time the write operation fails with an I/O error, although occasionally, and I can't find a pattern as to why, it will write the disc and the recording is fine. I have read a lot on here about making sure the latest firmware is installed for the drive, I just did that this morning and yet same problem. All help/advice is appreciated.

Here is the latest session log.

I 08:55:12 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 08:55:12 Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic Edition (6.0, Build 6000)

I 08:55:12 Total Physical Memory: 2,094,516 KB - Available: 1,099,364 KB

I 08:55:12 Initialising SPTI...

I 08:55:12 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 08:55:13 Found 1 DVD
Edited by JRinGeorgia

I 08:55:42 Destination Device: [1:0:0] PIONEER DVD+-RW DR-K17Y 0.96 (E:) (ATA)

I 08:55:42 Destination Media Type: DVD+R (Disc ID: SONY-D21-00) (Speeds: 2.4x, 4x, 6x, 8x)

I 08:55:42 Write Speed: 4x

Have you tried burning at the other available speeds? If you can, try with Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media and it should work :)

I 08:55:42 Destination Device: [1:0:0] PIONEER DVD+-RW DR-K17Y 0.96 (E:) (ATA)

I 08:55:42 Destination Media Type: DVD+R (Disc ID: SONY-D21-00) (Speeds: 2.4x, 4x, 6x, 8x)

I 08:55:42 Write Speed: 4x

Have you tried burning at the other available speeds? If you can, try with Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media and it should work :)

Thanks mmalves. Yes, I've tried burning at 2.4x, 4x, 6x, and 8x. Over 90% fail. Occasionally I am successful in burning, but I have not found a rhyme or reason to it, no pattern or set of circumstances I could point to. Seems to be random roll of the dice.

And FYI, in addition to burn attempts set to slow speeds, I do not multi-task when burning (in fact I usually reboot before trying to burn to keep the RAM as clean as possible), and I recently updated firmware on my drive.

Before I spend more money on more discs, may I ask if you know that the Sonys are the problem, or are you suggesting the next trial-and-error option to go to new media? What is wrong with the Sonys? They were among 3 brands (incl the Verbatims and TY) recommended.

Thanks.

Edited by JRinGeorgia

Thanks dontasciime.

Just what isn't good about the Sonys? And what does it mean that a drive "likes" some media but not others? I thought all this stuff was supposed to work together, silly me...

But seriously, would like to understand more.

Edited by JRinGeorgia

It's just a common suggestion to try different media. Generally speaking there isn't anything wrong with Sony discs and most people don't have problems using them, but when a poster starts having problems and everything else has been sorted short of replacing your burner then the media gets pointed at. We always recommend Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim because they offer a wider degree of compatibility and support with burners and stand alone equipment as they have impeccable quality standards. Sony, Memorex, TDK etc. can offer up problems to some people and their equipment because, while every manufacturer is supposed to be held to certain specs, they don't seem to have the same guidelines to produce quality material which be seen by the consumer disc after disc after disc. A good place to do some research is right here in the Drives & Media section of Imgburns forum or for some real scrutiny you could breeze by CDFreaks for some more comparisons. We and others have done the testing for you so that you don't have to.

That's great, Loco, I appreciate your taking the time to explain. I had already found CDFreaks, didn't find the info I was looking for but found a ton of confusing details -- PAPA vs PAP3 and more that I have no idea what it is.

I was hoping to fix what I have to make it work, not spend my way to a solution, but it looks like I may have to do just that. Hopefully the first new discs I try will do the trick!

I really wouldn't get too stuck in the details as the information can get pretty anal with all the PAPA vs PAP6 vs. PAP3 etc....I like to keep it simple and simply look for either Verbatim made in Taiwan for SL, Verbatim Made in Singapore for DL and TY from Japan for the rest. Good luck :thumbup:

Yeah, and that would be just like me, to get stuck in the details.

I'm sorry, what are SL and DL?

Completely different approach: is there an external burner I could buy that would be more reliable to work with the Sonys? If it works, that might be a cheaper option than eating the 200 Sony discs and buying more discs. And it would have to be an external drive, I'm on a laptop.

P.S. It took me 2 minutes to write this message and 5 minutes to take my eyes off your avatar...

Edited by JRinGeorgia

SL = DVD-5 = 4.7GB disc. These are your run of the mill discs that cost around 30 cents each.

DL = DVD-9 = 8.5GB disc. These are the special ones that cost 3-4X as much and hold not quite twice as much.

A new external burner will cost about $60-$80 and your 200 discs are about the same. Laptop drives aren't really great burners, but external ones can be excellent. You really have nothing to lose either way.

A little cheaper than I thought ~~

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16827106251

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16827106248

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16827106056

I don't really know a lot about externals, but Lite-On makes some solid drives.

• 3 weeks later...

Ah, OK, Single Layer and Double Layer.

Update: I decided to try the hardware approach and bought a LiteOn external DVD burner (only $50 w/free shipping from NewEgg). Since then been burning to those Sony discs no problems. So thanks all for the help.

For anyone interested in Verbatim discs, I saw them (+ or -R, 16x) at OfficeMax on sale for $20 for 100, and they also send coupon cards to me in the mail, the most recent being $10 a purchase of $30+, so you can basically get 200 Verbatim for 30 bucks or 15

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.