DVD DL: Slower write speed for second layer

JensL

I don't know if it's technically possible to change the speed during the write process by ImgBurn:

I have some DL media with great results with higher speeds on the first layer, but with quite bad results on the second layer. If I burn with a slower speed, the first layer isn't any better, but the second layer.

So it would be quite useful and it could save some time if I could choose the speed for each layer.

Jens

Edited by JensL

All 2nd layers have much higher PIE/PIFs - it's the nature of the beast. Provided they are within ECMA spec, you can be happy. Of course, only use Verbatim, +R, 2.4x, MKM-001-00, Made in Singapore.

Regards

I have tested a fair few different media types when it comes to DVD+R DL discs and you really get what you pay for - the cheaper discs are that for a reason. The burns in my 3x different drives were never as good and as for attempting playback a year or so later - well you can forget it.

If you want Dual Layer burns for a specific project then get Verbs from Singapore :)

Of course, using Verbatim media to get the best results is no new discovery.

I opened this thread to suggest how to improve quality with products of other companies and at higher speeds than 2,4x.

Edited by JensL

In my opinion the over-riding issue with media is the dye that is used, if you agree then there is very little we, as end users can do. Sure we can slow down burn speeds but you can't polish a turd.

I only ever burn DVD+R DL's at 2.4x anyways.

Regards

I had quite bad results with my LiteOn 20A1S even with Verbatim media @ 2.4x. My new Samsung burner produces good results with 8x Verbatim media at 8x and great results at 4x, but burning them @ 2.4x is not possible.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/2117212-post94.html

MKM 003 @ 4x: Average PI Errors are ~ 1; Average PI Failures are 0.00. (Results depend of the drive, of course.)

The quality of the fake 8x Ricoh media is good enough to burn the first layer @ 8x, but the second layer needs 4x for good results. If this would be possible, this would speed up a lot without relevant loss of quality.

Edited by JensL

To be honest though I'm not sure how much call there would be for this type of thing. It's not something I'd do for 1 person.

Sure. Actually I see only one reason why people buy new drives at the moment: Speed. The only reason of burning DVD DLs slow are quality issues.

Everyone with non-Verbatim DVD DL media who is interested in buring faster than 2,4x or 4x but without quality issues should be interested. - If it's possible at all.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.