Crash when burning audio from MP3

Bill M

I have been using IMGBURN for a couple months to create audio CDs from tracks recorded from LPs. I have been adding tags to the MP3 files for IB to use to set up the CDTEXT info.

Yesterday, IB crashed when I tried to burn an audio disk. (W2K SP4, up to date) I have the Dr Watson file; the error reported is

Exception number: c0000005 (access violation).

This occurred half or 2/3 of the way through burning 23 files. When I tried the burn a second time, the error was repeated.

I also tried burning with my laptop (XP SP2), with similar results. The XP error report gives an error signature: App - imgburn.exe, AppVer - 2.4.2.0, Modname - l3codecx.ax, Modver - 1.5.0.50.

I had included the cover image in the MP3 tags, since I intend to use them on my MP3 player, as well. However, I then recalled that I had had a problem earlier with an MP3 file with a cover image included in the tag. After removing the cover images from the MP3 files, the burn was successful.

The cover images are jpeg files, just over 100 kB in size, with the MP3 files around 3 MB.

I am not providing detailed data since this may be a known problem. However, I would be able to provide some details if that would be helpful.

Bill M

So l3codecx.ax crashed then - take a look at the last post in the FAQ (or if I add more before you read this, the one that mentions l3codecx.ax !)

To be honest, I'm amazed this problem didn't show up during the intial decode pass that ImgBurn performs to get an accurate size/playback time of the file.

It's only the same decode process being repeated so why did it work once and then fail the next time (during the actual burn) ?

So l3codecx.ax crashed then - take a look at the last post in the FAQ (or if I add more before you read this, the one that mentions l3codecx.ax !)

To be honest, I'm amazed this problem didn't show up during the intial decode pass that ImgBurn performs to get an accurate size/playback time of the file.

It's only the same decode process being repeated so why did it work once and then fail the next time (during the actual burn) ?

Thanks for this.

I forgot to mention above, that in each case (W2K and XP) a test burn ran with no errors. The crashes only occurred when actually burning.

Do you know if the l3codecx.ax update applies to W2K as well?

Just to be clear... the crash happens when it gets to a certain file? And it's the same file on both machines?

No. On the W2K system, it crashed once after burning 18 files (of 23), and a second time before burning anything (I was able to 're-use' the disk!).

On the XP system, both crashes occurred after the 14th file.

So it doesn't seem to have anything to do with any specific file. (Different amounts of system resources available when running the program???)

I'll look for the new version of l3codecx.ax, but I probably won't have time to check it out for a day or two.

Bill M

I can probably email you the file if you want, I just wasn't sure if I should 'host' it.

I even made a batch file for it so that it unregisters the old one, backs it up, copies the new one and then registers it.

All you have to do is run that and then reboot.

Another thing to try out is unregistering your current l3codecx.ax file and letting DirectShow drop back to using the ACM method via its wrapper (and if that fails ImgBurn will use ACM directly anyway).

Just type the following at a command prompt window:

regsvr32 /u "%SystemRoot%\system32\l3codecx.ax"

If I may... an alternative to the Fraunhofer DirectShow filter (l3codecx.ax) and the ffdshow one is mpg123 and MAD DirectShow Filter. It's a japanese website but it's fairly easy to figure where to download from. :) The decoder also has some nice features like ReplayGain, Pre-Gain and more. This is the decoder I'm currently using.

As far as ffdshow is concerned, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 feet pole. I find it too buggy and unstable. I also don't think it's lighter than other decoders. It might be lighter at decoding mp3 but I still prefer the original DivX and XviD decoders to ffdshow's any day.

Edited by AliveNoMore

Just to report that I have successfully burned an audio CD from the MP3 files containing a cover image in their tag.

(I am reluctant to spend too much more time chasing the former problem, since I could avoid it by not including the image.)

Also, I am not an expert in this area, so I prefer sticking to default set-ups (if they work).

Anyway, I first tried the MPG123 . . . suggested by AliveNoMore. However, this was not recognized by Total Recorder, which I am using for the recording step in this process. So, for the above reason, I removed it.

I then found that the K-Lite Codec Pack contains the more recent version of l3codecx.ax, so I installed the program (and confirmed through the Control Panel that the updated Fraunhofer filter had been installed), and burnt the CD successfully. I was not able to confirm directly which filter was used by IMGBURN, but an ffdshow icon flashed in the system tray, so I suspect that was actually the one being used.

So, I have learned a little (enough to be a bit more dangerous?), and I thank the comments and suggestions you all have made.

Bill M

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.