Burned the virgin

Wryter

Whew! I finally did it! Yep - a copy of the opera "Magic Flute" has now been burned onto one of my brand new Verbatim 2.4X DVD+R DL discs - with MIXED RESULTS. Sigh.

First question: why does the burned disc "hiccup" or hang up in several places during the first two minutes of play?

Second question: why does this happen on the computer - but not on my Oppo 980 DVD player? Hmm. . .

Third question: When burning, why does the screen show a write speed of (2.5) when I set the write speed at an even 2?

Fourth question: I'm terribly happy about this, but why is the burned disc a bit more sharp than the original disc?(original disc a DG DVD)

Now - as I'm NEW at this - may I make a (very) few comments? First, I'm using ImgBurn on a Dell Inspiron 6000 computer with a Sony DW-Q58A DVD player/burner. It has served me very well for nearly two years now, though the resident burning program - Sonic - is NOT a reliable product. ImgBurn seems much more stable and sure-footed. (pat yourselves on the back, please)

My playback in the media room is fairly good: An Oppo 980 (luv that player!) DVD player - a NAD receiver - B&W 705 mains speakers - a Mordaunt Short subwoofer - some sorta-basic surround speakers which seem "good enough" And oh, yes - a 46-inch Samsung 650 series HDTV TV set that I also love!

With that in mind, my main focus is on opera, with an occasional movie or personal art-picture-file thrown into the mix.

While I'm just getting started with these projects, I'd already like to thank the developers of ImgBurn. I hope to live up to your standards with my burning programs, though I shall probably come up short. . .(GRIN)

Very Sincerely, Larry Roderick

1. That drive is getting on a bit now. Have you ever updated the firmware on it? Maybe the laser is dirty and it's not burning/reading as well as it should?

2. See above.

3. You can't burn DVD+ (plus) format media any slower than 2.4x. If it says 2.5 then it's just because that model of drive has a slightly higher RPM for that write speed and hence is burning slightly faster - there's nothing you can do about it.

4. Did you do anything to edit the actual content? If not, it's all in your mind. A straight 1:1 copy of a disc will be 110% the same as the original.

Sump-in new ev-day! Sigh. I can't burn SLOWER than 2.4? Wowzer - I'll re-set my auto settings to that, and hope for the better next time around.

The firmware is up to date - checked yesterday. And I clean the lens every month. Faithfully.

Also - I'm one of those fanatics who cleans ALL my discs - new or old. I've been through a dozen "miracle cleaners," and have engaged in not-always-friendly competitions on various forums. At my advanced age, and with the so-called wisdom attendant to it - I finally settled on the BEST CD/DVD cleaning procedure.

I go to Sam's Club here in our faire towne and get 8-oz. bottles of Member's Mark lens cleaner "safe for all coated lenses." Spray the DVD, then wipe off with - and this is the key - MICROFIBRE towels. I get them in auto department of various stores. They WILL NOT SCRATCH the DVDs. Wash them and dry WITHOUT any fabric softener. They get super-mirror finiishes on the DVDs.

OK - I'm learning. thanks for the replies, and I'll not bother you further.

Respectfully. . . .LarryR

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.