Problems burning DL

gstevens26

Hi guys, i'm new to the forum so hope someone can help as i'm wasting DVD's like they are going out of fashion.

I've got a Sony AW-G170A DVD drive which is actually an NEC underneath the labelling and i'm having problems burning DL disks with imgburn.

I've been trying to burn off some XBOX 360 game iso Backups i've got but out of about 8 attempts using my burner only 2 have completed the burn successfully with only 1 of them actually playing on the XBOX, the rest have started to burn then given write errors.

The one that actually worked, i'd changed the booktype in the NEC tab to Drive (For DVD+R DL Media - Temporary) and changed it to DVD-ROM and it worked perfectly. This was on Wednesday night. I came to try it again last night and tried to set the booktype to this setting again and it's now giving an error saying Failed Unknown! Invalid field in CDB as soon as i select this booktype from the dropdown!

Nothing had changed with my system since it worked so I'm confused and if I select any of the other booktypes and try and burn it just fails with write errors.

Please Help. It's really bugging me. If it had just kept on failing i would have just given up and bought a better DVD drive but the fact it worked ok with this setting and I can no longer select it, it has kept me going to try and get it working well.

If the temporary ones don't work then the one stored in the firmware probably will - and it's not something you have to change every time. You set it once and forget about it.

ImgBurn handles the temporary ones (when they're supported) as part of it's 'auto change book type' setting... so again, it's not something you need to worry about.

So have I probably messed it up trying to re-assign that particular setting or is it more likely that i've got other problems. I know the media i'm using isn't top notch but they work fine in my brothers laptop which i have been using whilst i've been trying to get mine going.

Do you know what the error i'm getting when assigning these book types means?

Yeah it means the drive doesn't support the command.

That's to be expected, only certain drives with certain firmware support the entire set of booktype commands.

So ignore the temporary one and look at the 'Drive (For DVD+R DL Media)' one instead.

Make that say DVD-ROM and the drive will remember it forever.

Oh and just because your bothers laptop works with the discs it doesn't mean yours will.

We ONLY recommend Verbatim DVD+R DL discs here for DL burning.

I find it annoying that it let me use that setting and now it errors, especially as the burn worked when it was set to that, will have to just lump it. Gonna get some Verbatim's and see what they do and hopefully that will be it.

Thanks for your responses mate.

Have you looked at the non temp one?!

Seriously, you pretty much need to have hacked firmware to use the temp one. NEC don't enable them by default, only the 3rd party people like buffalo do.

If the 'Drive (For DVD+R DL Media)' option is set to DVD-ROM then you've nothing to worry about.

Your disc WILL have the DVD-ROM booktype.

If there's a problem playing them then it's probably down to the media you're using and the quality of the burn achieved by your drive/firmware.

Get the same CDB error on that one too.

I did upgrade the firmware of my drive to 1.73 and it wasn't an OEM one but one I got from a site called Liggy and Dee which i found through CD Freaks. The flash worked fine and it did burn with this firmware installed.

I'm inclined to think it's the media but it's still irritating.

I re-flashed my Drive on Saturday which means that is now showing up as and Optiarc drive as opposed to a Sony. Ran a burn using the booktype Drive for DVD+R DL and it completed the burn successfully. The disk works in the xbox but after a few minutes it gives the disk unreadable, Clean with a soft cloth error so I think the drive is a bit tired... is there any way to increase the power of the lens on a drive to improve the burn quality??

Can somebody please help I am trying to burn xbox 360 games I load up the file in imgburn and it goes to write in lead and then fails comes up as error message

Interpretation: Check Condition

Write Error

Please can somebody tell me what this means as really annoyed want to start playing Fifa 09

Thanks

Can somebody please help I am trying to burn xbox 360 games I load up the file in imgburn and it goes to write in lead and then fails comes up as error message

Write Error

Please can somebody tell me what this means as really annoyed want to start playing Fifa 09

Thanks

hijacker

hijacker.jpg

Write Error

Thanks

hijacker

hijacker.jpg

What does this mean I thought I might get some answers on here

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.