Firmware update installation

Cul

Reading advice on updating firmware, I've been chasing about the place for an update for my: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H44N.

I found this at the LG site:-GSA-H44N_RB02(EW).ZIP

In the read me text it says:-

Critical Instructions: (to be followed carefully)

1. Connect the drive as

Follow LG's advice from STEP 2

You only need step 1 if you get a failure whilst trying to update as in checksum error or any other error message lg firmware updater might be able to throw up if it fails.

which is the way L_UK would do it as well. I assume.

Tray closed as well as there being no disc in tray and do not power off/restart untill advised etc

First I check that I don't still have a copy of ImgBurn (or any other burning tool I happen to be testing with) open, then I check there's no disc in the drive, then I run the flash program.

I've never shut down my AV or closed 'normal' programs like Internet Explorer etc.

I haven't had to update my FW for a while (mainly cos RPC1 is down and I can't be arsed to chase all over the internet checking for updated ones :D ) but all of a sudden it appears that there are all sorts of safety checks to do first.

I always used to close down any prog that might be accessing the drive and then just update the bloody thing ! Have there been some probs that have made fw providers nervous all of a sudden ?

Regards

I 14:08:02 ImgBurn Version 2.4.1.0 started!

Please update to the latest ImgBurn version ;)

If it aint broke don't fix it.

That's why I dont have the latest version.

The version I'm running does me fine, I use about 5% of the available functions: "Click/Drag/Write/ Wait for Lame music :whistling: /Close. Simple.

Constant updating is for those that need to do it and those that have too.

What more can a newer version offer an average user like me?

I'm very happy with this one as it is. :rolleyes:

Thankyou to L/UK for the advice and the other posters.

Cheers.

I 14:08:02 ImgBurn Version 2.4.1.0 started!

Please update to the latest ImgBurn version ;)

If it aint broke don't fix it.

That's why I dont have the latest version.

The version I'm running does me fine, I use about 5% of the available functions: "Click/Drag/Write/ Wait for Lame music :whistling: /Close. Simple.

Constant updating is for those that need to do it and those that have too.

What more can a newer version offer an average user like me?

I'm very happy with this one as it is. :rolleyes:

Thankyou to L/UK for the advice and the other posters.

Cheers.

OK lads we are not needed, L_UK your wasting your time updating it when there is no need.

Seriously Cul In some circumstances if it ain't broke does work , not many and I am sure you did not mean to sound rude or stupid but how do you know it ain't broke, there might be some underlying problem you have not seen yet. There is a reason for updates to make sure users are still happy and improvements in all manner of things and it is hardly as if L_UK releases an update every week look at changelog dates

As with all updates I don't have to know why it's been issued just that it has...... I wouldn't blindly update everything I own but ImgBurn is one that I definitely would...... For no other reason than we only give help and advice on the latest version - therefore if you want help and advice you need to be using the same release as the rest of us. :)

As with all updates I don't have to know why it's been issued just that it has...... I wouldn't blindly update everything I own but ImgBurn is one that I definitely would...... For no other reason than we only give help and advice on the latest version - therefore if you want help and advice you need to be using the same release as the rest of us. :)

Yup.

OK, point taken :rolleyes: I've updated it and one of the reasons was that I reformatted a laptop for a young bloke I know, which was full of bloatware(Roxio+Nero+Norton+various other big chunks of wasted space) and it seemed a bit stupid to be telling him that all he needed was the lastest version of VLC and ImgBurn and AVG and he'd be blown away...while I'm still running a prehistoric version of both :teehee:

cheers blokes thanks for the info...once again :)

Do bother to check the update log on the home page to see the very extensive list of changes and fixes. Each update to ImgBurn is quite a major release - not like many other programs out there applying to CD/DVDs.

Regards

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.