create bin cue files directly from burner:

dr_ml422

Hi. Can you create a .bin .cue file from a cd that's in your burner w/out having to read it and create the bin file 1st? In other words can you select the files from the cd in the burner and put them in the create .cue window so ImgBurn can create the file? Or do they have to be already ripped to your hd in a folder w/a file name? Thnx.

No, the CUE file points to files already on your hard drive.

You can't make it point at a drive or at a file that doesn't exist and therefore cannot be examined.

Oh but if the BIN is on the CD as an actual file (i.e. you backed it up), yes you can create a CUE for it. It just has to be an actual file stored somewhere.

Ok. Thnx Lightning. I must of had some previous audio files backed up on my hd by some other proggie when I 1st used the cd burning feature in ImgBurn. I did though have ImgBurn read the disc and create a .bin file so I guess now I could create a .cue and burn it.

1?. I used the auto write/read function for the 1st time today when I read the cd and it only read at 8x. I used my samsung sata sh-s203b. Is that a reasonable read rate for my burner? Or does it depend on what you're reading? I know you guys recommend the default settings so I decided to try it out. Hope the auto-writing don't go slow either. Any suggestion always appreciated as always.

If you used ImgBurn to read a CD and it created a BIN file it would have also created a CUE file to go with it.

The default read speed for CD Audio tracks is 8x. Everything else defaults to MAX.

MAX isn't the optimal burn speed, you have to decide that for yourself based on your drive / firmware / media combo.

Ok. Thnx. I knew there had to be some default somewhere. I'll experiment w/burning a dvd .iso w/the auto feature see what it does.

Oh I created a folder on my desktop n transfered some audio files from my E:drive where the cd files layed on the cd then used ImgBurn to build a .bin file. I'll see how that goes. ImgBurn said operation successful so maybe I found a way to put the files on my hd and then create the .bin n .cue to burn them. I'll download a cd proggie eventually, but right now this seems interesting.

Oh Ok. I thought by leaving it at the auto-write setting in imgburn w/out messing w/the default would suffice. i went into settings and auto-write was checked off. that is the default setting right? If anything I'll go to the guides n see if i have to do anything xtra to keep it like that. I didn't set it to auto in the drop down window in write mode if that's what you thought.

That file I built came out to be a .iso file w/the bin name attached to it. Lol. I thought i had found something new in the build mode.

Yeah I got it now. Thnx. Been using ImgBurn for a while and never checked out that auto-write feature completely. Got it set to 16x for cd-rs. Going to set it to 8x or 12x for my tys and verb dvd blanks. Awesome.

I saw that function where you could hit the little disc button next to the window on the left where it shows what burner you're using and it would show the other burner. I think maybe I read the guide wrong because I thought by clicking on that icon it would automatically change to your other burner. I'll hit the guide again.

Oh, I found out the hard way that you can't burn a .cue file w/out having the .bin file that came w/it. I thought once you created the .cue file you could delete the .bin file. If there's no .bin file associated w/the .cue file ImgBurn will tell you no such file exists.

Hi Lightning. I noticed that ever since I set the automatic write speed on my burners and media when it starts burning and book-typing the dvd+r verbs I'm using it doesn't start by reserving the track like it use to before I used the automatic settings. It starts w/the writing lead-in and then commences to burn. Is that normal or am I confusing burning a cd-r w/a .bin/.cue file?

When it did start w/the reserve track it went straight to burning w/out the lead in. That's why I liked the dvd+r in bitset. Anyway just let me know if anything's wrong as far as my settings or if it's right just like it is. Thnx.

ok. Thnx LIGHTNING. Everything's good. I'm going to search the forum and guides regarding the Queue and then I'll post back if i don't find what I'm looking for.

• 4 weeks later...
ok. Thnx LIGHTNING. Everything's good. I'm going to search the forum and guides regarding the Queue and then I'll post back if i don't find what I'm looking for.

Hi Lightning. I can't figure out how to burn 2 copies of the same .iso file using both my burners so I don't have to load the same burner for the 2nd copy. I did it once, but now can't figure it out, even by reading the Queue guide. I've checked share select images amongst drives and share all images among drives, but imgburn keeps asking to put a disc in the same tray I burned the 1st copy in, instead of moving on to the next burner.

You need to queue the image again and point it at the second drive.

'Copies' cannot be shared between drives, only actual queued images.

Lightning you mean that even if I have 4 images queued and set to 2 copies of each, imgburn won't burn the 1st copy of the 1st image in queue w/my 1st burner and then go to my second burner to make the 2nd copy, and proceed like that until all 4 images have been burned twice? I could of sworn I did that a couple of weeks ago w/out having to load the same tray on the same burner for the 2nd copy before it went on to the next image in queue. The image won't leave the queue until it's burned twice or I remove it. I'm thrown off on this. I don't think I used the queue to burn 1 copy of 4 images to then queue the 4 images again for the 2nd copy.

nope, the 'copies' for a given queued item will only go to one drive.

Write a batch file if that's easier for you.

thnx for confirming this Lightning. I thought I wasn't using the Queue correctly. It's usually late when I burn multiple files so I probably burned a whole set 1st and left the queue saved for the next time. I'll just copy n paste the same files in another folder and put a _2 or w/e at the end so it'll load up in the queue and burn it if that could be done. Truth is that it'll take the same time burning a whole set once then burning it again as it would burning the files twice 1st anyhow. Pretty sure that's why you didn't implement that feature in ImgBurn unless it would of just made it more complicated to do so or create a heavier footprint. It's great just the way it is.

I'm not really sure what you're saying but the queue only works for images.

You can queue stuff you'd normally burn in Build mode.

Well, all you could do is build the ISO's and then queue them up.

If you need to burn an ISO file twice via the queue to two different drives, obvioulsy you don't need 2 copies of that file, you just add the same one to the queue again but tell it to use a different drive for burning.

I got it Lightning. I only use ISO's in the queue. What I meant was that instead of having to reload the same images again for the 2nd copy I'd copy and paste the ISO files onto the same hd or some other folder and change their name by adding a _1 or w/e. That way I could load 2 copies of each file in the queue and set it to burn 2 copies and it'll change drives because of the different file name. ImgBurn won't tell me I have a ISO w/the same name and if I'd like to replace or over write it. I'd just like to have it go straight through w/the 2 copies of each w/out having to go load the queue again w/the same images. Just being lazy for lack of a better word right now for not wanting to take the 30 secs. or w/e to reload the queue. I was burning 1 at a time by changing drives manually via the drop down box in the drive window in write mode until I read the functions guide by Cynthia and she pointed to the queue guide by cornholio. A year and some change before that queue made things easier and faster as I've been using ImgBurn over a yr. now w/out knowing all the functions, especially that auto-write mode.

That's it then. Thnx. I'm still green to all the functions available. Would I need to select all again and click the 'share selected between drives' button, or can I just leave the item I selected to 'Queue Again' and click the 'share all images amongst drives' button and hit the write button? I know if you just right click an item when you first queue it and then hit the 'share all images amongst drives' button ImgBurn will automatically include the other images w/out selecting them. Though that's when they haven't been burned yet. I guess once they're burned you'd have to select the whole lot?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.