File and Folder name suggestion

DOSforever

I recently started using the Build Mode of ImgBurn to burn DVDs because it was the only way I could find to burn the long file names of eBooks that I was downloading from the Usenet. Nero was truncating file names and although I found posts in other Forums that suggested that nero could handle long file names, I was unable to get their suggestions to work. I almost gave up on ImgBurn because in the first DVD that I burned, ImgBurn changed all lower case letters in file names to upper case. After trying half a dozen more burning programs I returned to ImgBurn and found the check box that was causing lower case characters to be changed to upper case characters and unchecked it. Now when I use the ISO9660 File System option in ImgBurn I no longer get truncated file names and I can burn file names containing both upper and lower case letters, however ImgBurn does rename quite a few files because they contain semi-colons. Because people are posting numerous files on the Usenet that contain semi-colons I have to conclude that there must be ways to burn long file names and also accomodate the presence of semi-colons in the file names but I have not been able to figure out how to do it. Any help would be appreciated. My simple suggestion is:

Uncheck the box "Uppercase File/Folder Names" in the default Settings.

Edited by DOSforever

Hi LIGHTNING.UK!

I used the ISO9660 File System because the best recommendations that I found in Forums visited as a result of an Internet search for "burning long file names" said to use ISO9660:1999 Level X. I did not find anyone who recommended the use of the UDF File System but I did find several posts that caused me to conclede that most people who reply to posts in other Forums do not understand the UDF File System as well as they understand the ISO9660 File System. I took your advice and switched to the UDF File System and it seems to eliminate all the problems I was having with the ISO9660 File System as long as I disable Unicode support. Is there any downside to turning off Unicode support ? I have modified my original post to eliminate several suggestions and a comment that were misguided because I was using the wrong file system. I would be helpful if you would show on the UDF tab the number of characters that the UDF File System accomodates as you do on the ISO9660 and the Joliet tabs. I now have to concede that ImgBurn is almost the perfect burning program. It would be perfect if it had a Nero type Build interface as several other users have suggested in this Forum.

Hi blutach

Thanks for pointing me to the Restrictions tab. I realize now that I looked at this tab when I first installed ImgBurn but forgot it was there when I started burning DVDs. When I looked at it again after you suggested that I check it out, I immediately understood a problem I had when I installed ImgBurn on a second computer. I was unable to burn DVDs on the second computer because it was converting all file and folder names into 11 character DOS type file names. I realize now that ImgBurn defaults ISO9660 to Level 1 and I changed this to Level X on the first computer but because I forgot about this tab when I installed IsoBurn on the second computer I ended up using ISO9660 at Level 1 instead of Level X.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.