noobie -- extract a boot image file

molecule

I'm trying to pull the 2048 byte boot image file off a daemon-mounted iso, of a bootable CD, and need some help

a. I used Imgburn to pull the iso off of a bootable CD (win 2ksp4) > ZRMPOEM_EN.ISO 387,424,256 bytes (the iso contains the boot image file?)

b. I used daemon tools to mount that iso file to launch next drive > drive Q: in my case

c. I launched Imgburn > Imgburn Log window reports it finds 1 - CD-ROM, 1 -CD-RW and 1 DVD-ROM (N.B. daemon tools is apparently mounting the iso into a DVD-ROM, and I'm using w98se ... BTW thank you!! for including the w98se OS during the compiles ... Imgburn works great!! BTW w98se now reads/writes USBs and NTFS seamlessly -- msfn.org -- and has a hard core following, so I hope you aren't forced to drop it)

d. in Imgburn main menu, I selected output > image file; then I selected mode > build

e. on the right panel, I brought the advanced tab forward; within the advanced tab, I brought the bootable disk tab forward

f. on the left panel, I probably needed to identify a source -- my choices were to browse for a file, or for a folder

g. clicking browse-for-a-folder, I chose the daemon drive root, e.g. Q:\, as my source, and then I used the pulldown arrow to select it

---

BTW, once I load a bubu file by mistake in the source list (such as the iso file itself), how do get it off the list in the drop down box? Selecting file, new project, empties the visible part of the dropdown list, but all of the old list of noobie bubu files are still in there ... ?

---

here's where I'm stuck ...

(I tried to upload a screenshot, but the uploader seems to hang forever ... hence all the words)

1. to extract the boot image file from the mounted iso-drive, do I need to create a file first, or just add a name for the destination edit box? any hints?

2. under Options:

-- ", do I click Make Image Bootable (I'm not trying to compile a final image or burn a CD -- just extract a boot image file to disk, which obviously needs to be bootable -- so I'm confused.)

-- ", if I do click MIB (make boot image bootable?), do I leave emulation as 1.44 floppy?

-- ", leave boot image file name blank (since I don't have it yet)?

-- ", developer ID?

-- ", load segment?

-- ", sectors to load (should be 4?)

3. under Extract Boot Image, how do I get the reportedly blue image of a floppy disk to light up? or activate the edit box (for the file name of the extracted boot image)?

4. then, press the big button "Build Image File" aka "Create image file from files/folder"?

thanks

To extract the boot section of a bootable disc, go to the Advanced -> Bootable Disc tab of ImgBurn's Build mode, under Extract Boot Image select your Q: drive and click the floppy icon to save. Look in the Log window as there will be listed the settings you'll need to use to create a bootable disc image using the extracted boot section :)

thanks guys ...

just so you know, imgburn worked rock steady ... and clean as a whistle, in a w98se box with mfsn unofficial service pack 2.1. The tasks I tested were pulling an iso file off a bootable CD, compiling a batch of files and folders into an ISO file, and writing an ISO to old CD media (50-something X) using my old and noisy 8X SCSI Yamaha CDRW.

A totally insignificant and utterly minor observation for older scsi systems -- after writing to CD, and launching the verfiy stage, with a loaded up SCSI-II (aha2960U) system, which many w2k systems might still use, the eject and reload commands need to have a little pause (how long -- who knows) between tray eject and return -- for example, when doing CD changes by hand, I need to give the devices a little more time for all the communication tasks between PCI bios to SCSI bios to CD device and back again to finish. SCSI-2 communications probably not as steady or as fast as today's direct IDE. Imgburn verified at 2X speed, but on an initial insert imgburn read and ripped a commercially burned CD in my 8x cd-drive at 8-12X -- the problem might also be due to a media mismatch, I am forced to use high speed media (52x?) in my slow speed device because slow media is not so available ...)

again thanks to Lightning UK!, and mmalves as well.

awesome product ...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.