ISO burning not working

cabbageheat

Alright. I'm baffled here.

Yes, I searched, looked at the FAQ, ran through 15 pages of questions first, but still can't find the right answer. Does the ISO burn to DVD? Sure. Does it work though? No, it hasn't. I have a 3.8 gig version of Linux Yellow Dog 6 on my desktop (which took 7 hours to download), and I need to put it on my PS3 to use as an alternative OS.

Problem is, though ImageBurn burns the DVD (DVD-R), everytime I pop it in to the PS3 it simply doesn't work. The install should take 45 minutes for Linux, but for some reason, it only takes 15 seconds.

Not right.

What am I possibly doing wrong with this? Is there a setting I'm missing? I've gone through 4 dvd-r's already, and its turning out to be a waste of time. Is the ISO wrong? The settings wrong? According to the guides I'm doing everything right. . . so why is this ISO image of YellowDog 6 for Linux not working????

ANY help, suggestions would be great, because this is not working, and there really should be no reason why.

where did you download it from (link please)

did the checksum match ?

I downloaded and received the link from www.streammygame.com here it is in its entirety. .

http://ftp.sunet.se/pub/os/Linux/distribut...VD_20080207.iso

It took a LOOOONG time to download, certainly don't want to do it again, however, I have no clue what a "checksum" is. Let me know whatever else you need me to post to figure it out. I just don't understand how two ISO burners aren't working for this file. The linus is supposed to be installed on the PS3 so I can stream PC games through the PS3. Its supposed to be a simple process. . . it has not turned out that way.

Taken from the 'SHA1SUM' file on that FTP site...

Yellow Dog Linux 6.0 for Apple, Sony PS3, and IBM System p

6ebc178539eb4d611f4455fd2c8c7264b5804b82 yellowdog-6.0-DVD-20080205.iso

f0862b7442e2f38bd01039ab6a6e28db84fe5ded yellowdog-6.0-DVD-20080207.iso

Install something like 'HashTab', right click your iso and click properties. Switch to the hashtab tab and let it calculate the SHA1 value. Then compare that to the one above.

Taken from the 'SHA1SUM' file on that FTP site...

Yellow Dog Linux 6.0 for Apple, Sony PS3, and IBM System p

6ebc178539eb4d611f4455fd2c8c7264b5804b82 yellowdog-6.0-DVD-20080205.iso

f0862b7442e2f38bd01039ab6a6e28db84fe5ded yellowdog-6.0-DVD-20080207.iso

Install something like 'HashTab', right click your iso and click properties. Switch to the hashtab tab and let it calculate the SHA1 value. Then compare that to the one above.

What in the world is Hashtab??

Well, found it, downloaded it, "hashed" it, and these are the results from the SHA1 value:

F0862B7442E2F38BD01039AB6A6E28DB84FE5DED

Soooo, it looks the same, except there are capital letters instead of normal letters, don't know if that makes a difference. I am still confused, what is this telling me and what do I do with this information? (also thanks for helping me)

By having the same letters/numbers (it's not case sensitive) in the same places you have confirmed that the file was downloaded correctly, i.e. it's the same as the original, wasn't modified in the download process.

Did you Verify your burn? ImgBurn does that by default and it's needed to make sure the disc was properly burned.

By having the same letters/numbers (it's not case sensitive) in the same places you have confirmed that the file was downloaded correctly, i.e. it's the same as the original, wasn't modified in the download process.

Did you Verify your burn? ImgBurn does that by default and it's needed to make sure the disc was properly burned.

I believe so, but I will give it another shot (this will be the 7th time I think). It never gave me an error, and I could have sworn I saw earlier messages saying that it was verified and the copy good. But I will burn it, again, right now and see. . .

I believe so, but I will give it another shot (this will be the 7th time I think). It never gave me an error, and I could have sworn I saw earlier messages saying that it was verified and the copy good. But I will burn it, again, right now and see. . .

Ok, burned it, and verified, then got that happy jungle jingle saying it was successful. Still doesn't kick on when its supposed to, according to the site I'm on (streammygame.com).

Don't know or understand it anymore. . .

Isn't there an actual option in the PS3 dashboard for loading / installing an OS?

You have to partition the drive first too yeah?

I know I had no issue getting yellow dog onto mine a few months back.

Ok, got it. Everything is cool, thanks so much for the help. Do not ask how I did it, but it works. I am NOT a computer wiz here (as anyone can clearly tell by now) so it all just "fell" together. But thanks for taking the time out of your day to help, it is appreciated (very much).

Great software too. . . it was just stupid old me that was the problem. . .as usual. :whistling:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.