polopony

cornholio7

AS-400 = Application System series 400. Older more familiar versions: System 36. The AS-400 series was renamed to the iSeries in 2000 and then renamed again to System i5 this year. :rolleyes: Anyway, it's an IBM minicomputer for general business use, also popular in governmental offices, that introduced in 1988 and still in production. Programmers love working on them because they're programmer centric and very secure machines, but, no one I know liked working with the one system we had at my last job. :lol: In fact, the biggest pain: the only way to know if a job was done after you submitted it was to list all available running programs, MANUALLY refresh the screen until it disappeared from memory, then try to find its log in the dump directory, read it, and try to decipher the messages.

Thanks man ,here in S florida there are 20 -30 jobs a day in my field

Care to expand on that? I know a lady who gets 20-30 job offers a day and all she has to do is say ?OH GOD! OH GOD! OH YOU HUNK! OH GOD!? etc and so forth.

she works for tips right :lol:

BEHOLD! The face of the beast!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:IBM_536...ont.triddle.jpg

Well, one of its many faces. :lol: I worked with two of these things, the System/36 and the AS-400. The System 36 was like 700 pounds and had belt driven hard drives! :o The funny thing was the AS-400, meant to replace the System/36, turned out to be more difficult to use because the old code had to be rewritten for the new system, instead of just copied over.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.