ImgBurn is not aborting burning

xileF1337

Hello guys, this is my first post here :)

It seems as my ImgBurn is not able to abort burning. After I clicked the big red button the line "Abort Request Acknowledged" appeared in the log, but nothing else happens. The status bar states "Waiting for Read Thread...", the elapsed time counter continues counting, my drive does not do anything (green indicator lamp is off).

I want to write an ISO image to a DVD-RW. I have got an LG GSA-H42L drive with firmware version SL01 (modified with MediaCodeSpeedEdit to remove the rip lock). I burn on a Verbatim DVD-RW 6x blank made in Taiwan.

At the moment the elapsed time counter states ~45 minutes. I will shut down ImgBurn via taskmanager now.

Here is the log:

I 15:21:38 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 15:21:38 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 15:21:38 Total Physical Memory: 2.095.528 KB - Available: 1.514.840 KB

I 15:21:38 Initialising SPTI...

I 15:21:38 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 15:21:38 Found 3 DVD-ROMs and 1 DVD

Wow, that was a fast reply, thanks. Unfortunately I did not watch the status bar before hitting abort. I will report back in a few minutes...

After I killed the ImgBurn task via taskmanager my optical drive seems to be dead. The lamp is off, I cannot access it via explorer ("Cannot access, illegal function"), I cannot even eject it via explorer. I will reboot my PC now...

EDIT:

The status bar message is "Creating Graph Data Thread...". Then I hit the abort button. After approximately 10 seconds the status bar message says "Waiting for Read Thread". After another 30 seconds my drive turns into this dead status.

Should I try another image or aborting a bit later?

Edited by xileF1337

How long are you leaving it on the 'Creating Graph Data Thread' bit? Can you leave it for like 10 mins... after that time just terminate the process - don't bother with abort because ImgBurn isn't in control anyway and so will not be able to.

The drive will have been locked and dismounted by the program, that's probably why you can't use it in explorer.

Huh, now I tried to write the image to the disc without aborting it. After a half a minute I got an error message, here is the log:

I 17:30:29 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 17:30:29 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 17:30:29 Total Physical Memory: 2.095.528 KB - Available: 1.464.864 KB

I 17:30:29 Initialising SPTI...

I 17:30:29 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 17:30:29 Found 3 DVD-ROMs and 1 DVD

(Or am I getting your question wrong?)

You might be, who knows!

All I really wanted is for you to not cancel the burn.... ie. leave it on the 'Creating Graph Data Thread' message and see how long it sits there for.

The 'Creating Graph Data Thread' message isn't visible on my machine (nor should it be on yours) because it's done so quickly.

I'd assumed your machine was stuck on that message forever but it seems it was just taking ages and you'd always been too hasty to cancel.

I've just sorted the problem with it getting stuck when you cancel the burn at that point - it was because the function that waits for a thread can't cope if the thread isn't actually running at the time (i.e. it's suspended).

I would have been interested to see the disc info for the disc that failed to burn because it wasn't empty.

The 'Creating Graph Data Thread' message isn't visible on my machine (nor should it be on yours) because it's done so quickly.

o.O And why is it that way? Here are my system specs:

OS: Win XP Pro 32bit with SP 3 and "Microsoft Updated" with all the latest patches

MoBo: Gigabyte 965P-DS3P rev. 3.3 with BIOS version F6

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (slightly OCed at 2,6 GHz)

RAM: 2 * 1 GB DDR2 800 by OCZ

Also I noticed that ImgBurn considers my DVD drive to be connected via SCSI, even though it is IDE. Probably this is because I have the AHCI mode activated (don't know if it matters).

I would have been interested to see the disc info for the disc that failed to burn because it wasn't empty.

You mean the content of the list box above the write speed settings, don't you? Here you are:

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H42L SL01 (SCSI)
Current Profile: DVD-RW

Disc Information:
Erasable: Yes
Free Sectors: 1.831.472
Free Space: 3.750.854.656 bytes
Free Time: 407:01:47 (MM:SS:FF)
Supported Write Speeds: 2x; 4x; 6x

Pre-recorded Information:
Manufacturer ID: MKM 01RW6X01

Recording Management Area Information:
HL-DT-ST r172 DVDRAM GSA-H42L

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):
Book Type: DVD-RW
Part Version: 3
Disc Size: 120mm
Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
Number of Layers: 1
Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)
Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit
Track Density: 0.74 um/track
First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196.608
Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 0
Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

Current Format Capacity:
Sectors: 2.297.888
Size: 4.706.074.624 bytes
Time: 510:40:38 (MM:SS:FF)

Preferred Format Capacity:

Maximum Format Capacity:

I guess a bit more information will not kill you ;)

I get this error message:

imgbrnerrorst2.th.png

I hit abort and see the next one:

imgbrnerror2yx5.th.png

Here is the log:

I 22:42:14 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 22:42:14 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 22:42:14 Total Physical Memory: 2.095.528 KB - Available: 1.393.756 KB

I 22:42:14 Initialising SPTI...

I 22:42:14 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 22:42:14 Found 3 DVD-ROMs and 1 DVD

The 'Bus Type' comes from the driver so it's down to them to report ATA, SCSI, SATA etc.

Which controller chip is used for PATA on that board? Jmicron? Silicon Image?

A driver update from their website might 'tweak' what it says.

I can't do anything about the empty but not empty disc problem. I can only go by what the drive is telling me, and in this case it clearly thinks it's empty.

Disc Information:

ImgBurn will unlock the drive tray before trying to eject it, that's why it works and Windows version of 'eject' doesn't.

The tray is normally locked at the start of the burn and unlocked at the end. Obviously the unlock never happens because you're terminating the process.

So I guess we are almost through it. One question is left open: Why does it take so long on my PC? :huh:

I have tested my second Windows installation on the same machine: the status bar displays "Creating Graph Data Thread" for about 14 seconds.

Which controller chip is used for PATA on that board?

According to my device manager my IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller is the Intel ICH8R/DO/DH SATA AHCI Controller. I consider updating my chipset drivers if there are any newer versions available.

Oh and I forgot...

I've just sorted the problem with it getting stuck when you cancel the burn at that point - it was because the function that waits for a thread can't cope if the thread isn't actually running at the time (i.e. it's suspended).

...to say "Thank You"! :wub:

I am going to get some sleep now, good night.

I don't think the 965 has an IDE port so it must be running off a 3rd party chip.

Look in the SCSI/RAID controller branch instead.

Intel driver wise, you probably want the latest Intel Matrix ones.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Des...al&lang=eng

The graph data thing might be taking a while because of your OS language? Is it in English? (Your IP suggests it might be German :) )

It's calling upon performance counters you see and if the English ones don't exist then it has to run extra code to get the localised names.

The graph data thing might be taking a while because of your OS language? Is it in English? (Your IP suggests it might be German :) )

You are right, I am German, and so is my OS language :thumbup:

I don't think the 965 has an IDE port so it must be running off a 3rd party chip.

Look in the SCSI/RAID controller branch instead.

SCSI and RAID Controller: GBB36X Controller and SCSI/RAID Host Controller

If I remember correctly four of my SATA ports are controlled by the Intel chip and two by the Gigabyte one. I will read through my MoBo manuel when I have got some time.

Thanks for your great support! :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

KenNashua;

1. Unless the problem is exactly the same...start your own thread.

2. Even if you think the problem is exactly the same...start your own thread.

3. In the event 1 or 2 is correct, post a complete log when you...start your own thread...... <_<

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.