Problems with SPTI and DVR-216D

k!dman

Hello,

first of all - IMGBurn is my favourite burning program ever and to everyone involved: Thank you!

Secondly i was enjoying imgburn with my old burner (NEC 3520-A) since the DVD Decrypter days untill 3 days ago when i decided to buy Pioneer DVR-216D (SATA).

Everything seemed to be ok, but i was unable to verify burned data, it was readable but values didn't match the iso/source.

I also couldn't burn a single DVD+R DL disc, everything failed even before switching layers. I was getting 'Invalid Address For Write' errors, no matter which disc brand i would try.

I've tried anything i could, i've replaced the drive 3 times and still had no success. It was untill today when i decided to change the I/O interfacet to 'Pati-Couffin' i was finally able to burn DVD+R DL disc and verify it too.

The whole thing happened on 2 PC's:

1) abit nf7 nforce2 with sil 3112 chipset and via 6421A SATA pci card (tested on both), win xp sp3

2) (friend's pc) some gigabyte motheboard with Nforce4 chipset, win xp sp3

Is it SPTI issue or imgburn? Can i use anything other than SPTI 'globally' ?

Reading is fine, i always could verify old discs (burned with my NEC drive) agains original iso, so i guess it's only a burning problem.

Prime example of what i've been experiencing.

imgburn2mo5.jpg

Thanks in advance for any replies.

p.s.

sorry for any mistakes, english isn't my mother tongue so feel free to ask if something was not clear

Edited by k!dman

no matter which disc brand i would try.

What brands have you tried?

1) abit nf7 nforce1 with sil 3112 chipset and via 6421A SATA pci card (tested on both), win xp sp3

So you've tried using an available port on both mobo and card?

EDIT: Are you using the same sata cable through all the different configs?

What brands have you tried?

maxell, esperanza, verbatim, phillips

So you've tried using an available port on both mobo and card?

that is correct

EDIT: Are you using the same sata cable through all the different configs?

nope, i've tried two of them

LIGHTNING UK!:

===============================================

Filter Driver Load Order - ImgBurn v2.4.2.0

===============================================

Upper Device Filter: redbook

Upper Class Filter: [None Found]

Device: CD/DVD-ROM Device

Lower Class Filter: [None Found]

Lower Device Filter: imapi

Filter Name: redbook

File Name: F:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\redbook.sys

File Version: 5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2108)

File Description: Sterownik filtru audio Redbook

Product Name: System operacyjny Microsoft

Edited by k!dman

one more thing (RAID) means it's connected to SATA pci card, and 216D and L are the same thing, only that 'L' supports writing DVD-RAM and has Labelflash stuff

i've also changed ATA drivers to nvidia's (from original windows' ones) and went back to older nvidia stuff, but sil 3112 drivers remained the same.

Edited by k!dman

Is your Sil card running the latest base bios? If not, why? That's the one meant for optical drives, not the RAID bios.

I never had any problem with my 216 running on a Sil 3512 (which is basically the same thing).

So anyway, you've got drivers issues somewhere along the line, the patin couffin ones are just low level enough to bypass the issue I guess. It's not really a fix though to use them, more just a workaround.

The logs you provided just show you burning rubbish media - RITEK-S04-66.

Do you have any where you've been burning decent stuff and it's failed?

Is your Sil card running the latest base bios? If not, why? That's the one meant for optical drives, not the RAID bios.

i didn't find any new bios for my via card, only drivers. i'll look for them. i have 4.94 version of my VIA Bios, and i haven't found any new (or old for that matter) one

So anyway, you've got drivers issues somewhere along the line, the patin couffin ones are just low level enough to bypass the issue I guess. It's not really a fix though to use them, more just a workaround.

issues on both pc's? on via card AND 2 motherboards?

The logs you provided just show you burning rubbish media - RITEK-S04-66.

well yeah, but the thing is it was readable etc, just the values were different which puzzled me. I also didn't have a single problem with them.

Do you have any where you've been burning decent stuff and it's failed?

unfortunately not. i'm kind of tight on a budget, but if you really insist i may try a verb using the old settings.

Edited by k!dman

My mobo is really old so i'm fairly sure i have the latest bios for it, with latest sil bios as well:)

The thing is, same stuff happened on much newer motherboard, also with latest bios and drivers. I'm gonna stick to configuration that works for me, with ocasional fiddling with different settings to see which one give me errors.

Thank you for your attention.

Regards

i've finally found the solution. i have to install nvidia's IDE drivers. simple as that. i've always used the microsoft ones, but looks like they were causing problems (or rather nvidia's drivers don't like microsoft's IDE drivers). I also looks like i have to install PCI sata card first and then install that damn nforce drivers:)

thx again

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.