Power Calibration+Unable to Recover TOC

edwardjacobs

I'm frustrated and need help!

I've read al lot of topics about how to burn Xbox 360 games and problems that may occure. I have a problem and don't know how to solve it.

I have installed ImgBurner 2.4.2.0 standard and have set no parameters or what so ever. I have a new Pioneer DVR-216D (firmware 1.09 =latest firmware) burner that burns cd-r and dvd+r and dvd+rw just fine but doesn't burn Xbox 360 games. I have tried different .iso with .dvd (LayerBreak=1913760) files and two different brands of DVD+R DL (Philips;RITEK-S04-66 and Verbatim;MKM-003-00) but they all fail after 50 seconds with the same message "Unable to Recover TOC;Power Calibration Area Error" (see log file). I have tested my Pioneer burner in two pc's; XP Pro 64bit, 4Gb Ram, Dual core, all updates installed, and XP Pro 32bit, 512Mb Ram, P4 2,66. There are no other burning program's running and i have disabled mij AntiVirus program. BurnSpeed is 2,4sp.

This is the Log file I get;

Can Anyone help me please ?

I 17:59:32 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 17:59:32 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 17:59:32 Total Physical Memory: 523.248 KB - Available: 263.368 KB

I 17:59:32 Initialising SPTI...

I 17:59:32 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 17:59:33 Found 1 DVD

Maybe your drive is faulty?

Have you tried burning at a faster speed? That stuff is designed for 8x burning. The fact that pioneer allow you to 'overspeed' to 10x probably means they do more testing at 4x, 8x and 10x than at the mega slow speeds.

Where are those Verbatims made? Singapore? India? Taiwan?

Have you tried burning at a faster speed? That stuff is designed for 8x burning. The fact that pioneer allow you to 'overspeed' to 10x probably means they do more testing at 4x, 8x and 10x than at the mega slow speeds.

Faulty: it's a new drive and burns cd-r, dvd+r and dvd+rw perfectly.

I just tried 4x and after a couple of seconds it fails with the same messages as in the log file.

The Verbs are made in India.

I also read a solution about using other controller drivers instead of the standard microsoft ones ! I have an old pc and don't know the controller manufactuer (microsoft has installed a Intel 82801EB Ultra Ata storage controller) and a new pc with a MSI P35 Platinum mobo with ich9r controller. It has a raid controller but no raid is configured (just 1x500gb hd installed). But the same problem with two different mobo's can't be the problem can it ?

thx for your quick reply, any ideas ?

Edited by edwardjacobs

I just tried 4x and after a couple of seconds it fails with the same messages as in the log file.

I also read a solution about using other controller drivers instead of the standard microsoft ones ! I have an old pc and don't know the controller manufactuer (microsoft has installed a Intel 82801EB Ultra Ata storage controller) and a new pc with a MSI P35 Platinum mobo with ich9r controller. It has a raid controller but no raid is configured (just 1x500gb hd installed). But the same problem with two different mobo's can't be the problem can it ?

This is the message i get when i click cancel to finalise disk :

post-15687-1229119186_thumb.jpg

It's nothing to do with the controller.

Burning errors come from bad drive/media/firmware combos.

The media you're using is good stuff but the ones made in India aren't as good as the other two.

If the firmware has been setup for the Singapore stuff, it could indeed have problems with the lower quality stuff from India.

So basically what I'd do now if I were you is find some made in Singapore and try those. The proper 2.4x discs with the MKM-001-00 dye works better for some people than the 8x MKM-003-00 ones so try getting some of those instead.

If it still can't burn to those I'd just return it under warranty. Just because it burns single layer discs ok doesn't mean it's not faulty.

It's nothing to do with the controller.

Burning errors come from bad drive/media/firmware combos.

The media you're using is good stuff but the ones made in India aren't as good as the other two.

If the firmware has been setup for the Singapore stuff, it could indeed have problems with the lower quality stuff from India.

So basically what I'd do now if I were you is find some made in Singapore and try those. The proper 2.4x discs with the MKM-001-00 dye works better for some people than the 8x MKM-003-00 ones so try getting some of those instead.

If it still can't burn to those I'd just return it under warranty. Just because it burns single layer discs ok doesn't mean it's not faulty.

Thx for the advise,

To find Verbatims made in Singapore is difficult because there is only one shop in my city(Tilburg,NL) that sells Verbatims and they only have them from India. On the internet they don't tell you where they are made. I'll try to return my burner for waranty because i don't trust it anymore. I've read people who can burn all kind of different brands dual layer and I can't even burn one. It doesn't even start burning (5seconds and stops).

can you advise me for one of these burners or do you know a different brand/type?

Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7203A/S (sata)

Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7200A (ide)

Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7201A (ide)

Samsung Super-WriteMaster SH-S202N (ide)

LG GH20NS20 (ide)

Pioneer DVR-216 (ide)

Thx

I'd go with some SATA if I were you. That way you don't need to worry about master / slave or problems when trying to use 2 devices at the same time (that share the same cable).

From that list, I've got an AD-7203S and a DVR-216 in my computer if that makes any difference.

Samsung wise I have the SH-S223F and LG wise I have the GGW-H20L (but that's a bluray burner).

A new LiteOn iHASxxx model is also an option. I have a iHAS120 in my machine at the moment but I'll no doubt update that when the iHAS3xx and iHAS4xx ones are available.

I've also got a 7200S and a "215D". Don't be put off by the 216 you have, it's probably just a bad drive and I wouldn't hesitate to try another. The iHAS Litey's are looking like good drives too. Also my Samsung 203B has served me well, but I'd look for a newer drive from them as opposed to the 202N that you listed.

I found out that my laptop with a dvd burner (LG GMA 4082N) should be able to burn Dual Layers (didn't know it could). I installed ImgBurn on it by default and start burning a .dvd with .iso file with the Verbatims that fails with my dvr-216d and it burns perfectly !! So it has to be the dvr-216d that has a failure. Tomorrow i'll change my dvd burner with a new dvr-216d. I'll let you know the result.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.