Device Not Ready (Medium Not Present)

desk.doc

Hi All,

I downloaded imageburn, and like the simplicity and what looks to be the ease of use. I have run into a problem, and I am looking for suggestions on how to fix this. I have researched the issue for some time now, and found a couple of things, but i want another opinion.

First off: Specs:

Windows XP Home SP3

Imageburn 2.4.2.0

DVD-RW Drive: NU DVDRW DDW-081

I will provide any other specs requested.

The Issue:

When I load up Imageburn, and I insert a DVD-R into my dvd writable drive I keep getting the error:

Device Not Ready (Medium Not Present)

Here is the log:

I 22:47:06 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 22:47:06 Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 22:47:06 Total Physical Memory: 458,224 KB - Available: 199,544 KB

I 22:47:06 Initialising SPTI...

I 22:47:06 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 22:47:06 Found 1 CD-ROM, 1 DVD-ROM and 1 DVD+RW!

W 22:53:36 I/O Interface 'Show All Devices' has been changed!

I 22:53:36 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 22:53:36 Found 1 CD-ROM, 1 DVD-ROM and 1 DVD+RW!

I am using a Memorex DVD-R disk. Now I have seen many topics and replies saying certain disks are better

than others. I saw a reply saying it has to do with the dye the company uses on the disk as far as the

quality of the DVD. I plan on purchasing better quality disks in the near future, I am just in a "testing" phase

right now and want to make sure I can burn the .iso before I purchase and wasted the new disks.

The reason in the log saying I/O Interface 'Show All Devices' has been changed is my drive originally didn't show up (was not selectable/wasn't listed). After changing the option, it's now showing and is selectable.

I am still receiving the error Device Not Ready (Medium Not Present).

Any Ideas or suggestions are more than appreciated!

I 22:47:06 Initialising SPTI...

I 22:47:06 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 22:47:06 Found 1 CD-ROM, 1 DVD-ROM and 1 DVD+RW!

W 22:53:36 I/O Interface 'Show All Devices' has been changed!

I 22:53:36 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 22:53:36 Found 1 CD-ROM, 1 DVD-ROM and 1 DVD+RW!

If the drive wasn't selectable as a burning device then you're putting the DVD-R in the DVD-ROM drive, which can only read DVDs but not burn them. Besides, your DVD burner can only burn DVD+R media (no support for DVD-R), which indicates it's very old and probably won't be compatible with today's DVD+R media.

You should look into buying a new burner: they're pretty cheap nowadays and support both -R and +R formats. Also, unless you need the CD-ROM and DVD-ROM drives for some specific task, get rid of them as well :)

For some reason imageburn is showing that I have 3 drives on my computer when I only have 2. I am not sure why this is happening. I have a CD Drive, and a DVD "combo" drive. I am not sure why it's listing the "combo" drive as seperate. In my device manager it's listing as 2 drives. In My Computer it's listing them seperate as well. Any ideas on how to fix this as well?

Thanks in advance!

Re: LocoEng: if you will tell me how this is done, I will do it. :thumbup:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.