Differences (not errors) between the disc and the ISO file created in Read mode

geno888

Hi :)

I just found something that confused me. I have no idea if it is a bug or I did something wrong :(

To explain better, I'll report the exact sequence of what I did.

1) I created a data disc with ImgBurn in Build mode and I saved it as ISO file on HDD. (As can you see in the log, I used version 2.4.1.0 when I created the ISO, because that was the version installed in the computer when I created the ISO)

2) I used Dvdisaster to add parity data to the ISO image.

3) I burned the "parity-containing" ISO with ImgBurn in write mode (again with version 2.4.1.0).

4) I then used ImgBurn (this time I used latest version, 2.4.2.0) in read mode to create an ISO from the burned DVD.

5) I was curious to check if also parity data was ripped in the ISO so I tested the ISO with Dvdisaster, and I got the following errors (see the picture).

If more details are needed, let me know. The disc contains only data, not a movie (and AnyDVD or similar software were not running in the background when I created the ISO in Read mode).

Can I assume that the ripped ISO contains the same files of the disc? If I want to do a copy of that disc can I burn the ISO safely or I should copy all files from the disc to HDD with Windows explorer and then burn them again with ImgBurn in build mode on a different disc?

The log file of ImgBurn is the following.

I 17:07:09 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 17:07:09 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 17:07:09 Total Physical Memory: 1.048.044 KB - Available: 507.900 KB

I 17:07:09 Initialising SPTI...

I 17:07:09 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 17:07:10 Found 1 DVD

post-11544-1229359709_thumb.png

The burner does that for some reason, even ImgBurn had to implement a workaround:

Added: An alternative 'Padded' MD5 calculation for when burning + verifying an image on DVD+R media where the drive automatically pads the image so the last sector is divisible by 16.

On another note...

I 17:08:26 Source Device: [0:1:0] LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1P KL0N (D:) (ATA)

There's firmware KL0P available for your burner :thumbup:

Hi :)

Thanks for the quick answer :)

So do you think that I can use the ISO created in Read mode to make a 1:1 copy of that disc? Or it is safer to copy files with Windows explorer and then create another disc in Build mode?

Oops... I missed the new firmware... Actually I use that drive for reading only, very rarely to burn a disc

Hi and thanks again for quick answer :)

I just completed a test. The verification against ISO image file gave no errors, so I think that it's safe to burn the ISO :)

I already use Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden discs for my important data. I was using dvdisaster because I was curious about this tool :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.