Change booktype NEC

pressrocks

Hello,

after the issues about chang book type for Samsung (fixed, the issues was related to buffer capacity size not to book type), another issue for NEC DVD burner.

I tried to change book type for DVD+R to DVD-ROM for NEC DVD burner Optiarc DVD RW AD-5200A, but Imgburn returns the following error messages:

FAILED!

Reason: Parameter Value Invalid

Is it a compatibility problem? I tried to change book type using all the possibilities given from the software (Samsung, Lite-On and so on...) but nothing.

Someone can help me?

Pressrocks.

In order to change booktype on NEC/Optiarc burners you have to flash the drive with a modified firmware, which you can find here.

Thank you mmalves,

I flashed the drive and now it's possible to change booktype!

Only a related question: when I change the booktype, under "current setting" it compares:

DVD-ROM (Changes available: 499)

This setting is active.

Is there any limitation in ImgBurn for the booktype change (e.g. shareware limitations, ...)? For the Samsung burner no limitations appear.

If there are limitations, do you know how much the software? What are the way to buy?

Sorry for the stupid questions but I'm a very newbie.

Thank you.

Pressrocks.

The 500 changes is a hardware thing. NEC probably added it so the chip that has to be flashed/changed/programmed doesn't die.

As corny said though, you pick the option you want - i.e. DVD-ROM or DVD+R and just leave it at that.

I can't see any reason to keep changing if the drive should booktype to DVD-ROM or not.

if you intend to leave the booktype as -rom then why worry about 499 changes, i think most of my drives have been stuck at 499 since i changed them to -rom

Ooops, thank you all.

I thought that I'd been change for each DVD+R to burn, not one time for all... :blush:

Thank you,

Pressrocks.

• 2 weeks later...

I have about the same problem. I downloaded the firmware and flashed my DVD, however, when I change DVD+R to DVD-R ROM, and select apply, its immideately reverted to DVD+R again, and I loose one of the valuable changes permited. And, the things I didnt want to change, DVD+RW and DVD+R DL are now reverted to DVD-R ROM, and wont change either. As soon as i accept the changes, they revert to DVD-R ROM again. Also, I've tried just clicking DVD-R as standard and closing the window, it doesnt help. And in IMGBURN the same happens, I chose DVD+R new setting DVD-R ROM, it reverts to the original "Set new setting" and here the change counter doesnt even work.

Im on a VISTA 32bit, if thats any help. The firmware didn't seem to have different versions for different OS so I assume that doesnt matter, but still.

How do I fix this? I ahve tried to install both RPC1 and Original. pressrocks you got this working, please help :)

Edited by Gargarmel

I loose one of the valuable changes permited

There is a program that reverts it back to 500 - so don't worry about using up the allowed changes.

By default in Nec firmware - +R DL is book typed to DVD-ROM.

Have you tried to restart the comptuer to see what the current setting is for the ones that you can't revert back to non DVD-ROM?

OK, I got it working... I dont know how, but thats another problem entirely. Now I burn as DVD-ROM, so finally I can do what I need. But the fact that DVD+R DL is written as DVD-ROM troubles me... Is it because my writer cant write DL properly? Because there are some stuff that is more than 5g that I need to have on a Dual Layer dvd. Do I need to get a new dvdwriter?

Not sure I understand you.

Do you want it to be DVD-ROM or not? Now it seems as you want it on single layer +R media. I got the impression that you didn't want the book type function at all.

The amount of stuff you can put on the disc has nothing to do with if you book type or not. The only reason for book type is that the disc can be/might be easier to read/get to play on older stand alone players.

If you need/want book type On Nec/Optiarc writers it's the easiest to install a modified firmware that does the book type on +R media automatic for you. No muddle with the the book type settings at all.

:)

Ye, as I said, the Ordinary DVD+R Problem is solved, it now burns with booktype DVD-ROM. The problem is that every single DVD+ Option is now DVD-ROM, including DVD+R Dual Layer, and I can't change them back. I will need a Dual Layer alter on, so my question is, will it matter which book type i write on my dual layer disc, or will the amount of data recordable still be ~8gb no matter what booktype is selected?

Ye, as I said, the Ordinary DVD+R Problem is solved, it now burns with booktype DVD-ROM. The problem is that every single DVD+ Option is now DVD-ROM, including DVD+R Dual Layer, and I can't change them back. I will need a Dual Layer alter on, so my question is, will it matter which book type i write on my dual layer disc, or will the amount of data recordable still be ~8gb no matter what booktype is selected?

Not quite sure, but I guess book-type has nothing to do with the number of layers or size of the disc. I guess all discs have their size specified in sectors, so you should not have any problems writing those 8 gb.

If it were otherwise, then we would need special book-type for those 8 cm discs.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.