File exceeds the limit??

xyla_johns

This is the first time I have had this error message and I haven't done anything differently or changed anything. I use DVD Shrink to shrink my the dvd's then ImgBurn to burn them. When I have it all ready and go to click 'write' this error message comes up...

Here is my log

I 21:54:35 Operation Started!

I 21:54:35 Corrected conflicting settings for DVD Video disc.

I 21:54:35 Building Image Tree...

I 21:54:36 Checking Directory Depth...

I 21:54:36 Calculating Totals...

I 21:54:36 Preparing Image...

E 21:54:36 File size exceeds the limit imposed by the ISO9660 file system.

E 21:54:36 Name: C:\Documents and Settings\Jessie Thomas\Desktop\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.VOB

E 21:54:36 Size: 4,372,617,216 bytes

E 21:59:28 Operation Failed! - Duration: 00:04:52

As I said I have not changed any settings or done anything differently than I have been doing for the past couple of years, so if someone could enlighten me I would be greatful!!!

Thanks in advance

Xyla

Edited by xyla_johns

I don't mean to be ignorant, but I have no idea what you mean! I know only the very basics! So what do I have to do to 'fix' it?

Is that not a single 4GB vob file?

They're only allowed to be 1GB in size so you must have done something different and I'm pretty sure DVD Shrink wouldn't make a vob that big.

Start again.

If the process you're following leaves you with a single vob file thats larger than 1GB in size then your process is flawed.

So basically, you can't burn what you have now and as we only help with ImgBurn related burning issues you're pretty much on your own I'm afraid.

Ok, thanks for your help!

Start again.

If the process you're following leaves you with a single vob file thats larger than 1GB in size then your process is flawed.

So basically, you can't burn what you have now and as we only help with ImgBurn related burning issues you're pretty much on your own I'm afraid.

1. DVDShrink can output VOB files of more than 1 gb. But it's not recommended as LUK says.

2. DVDShrink --> Edit-->Preferences -->Output Files -->Tick the box "Split VOB files into 1 GB chunks (recommended)" . This should be on by default. if it's not TICK IT ;) Press OK.

Edited by Guzeppi

When I just checked, the box wasn't ticked. I must have been using it with this setting all along. That's why I couldn't understand why the error message was coming up, as normally the file size is between 4 - 4.5 gb and it burns fine. Before I checked that I started again with the same dvd and it's burning now (VOB file size about 4gb). Would the quality be affected if it was a 1gb file verses a 4gb? Or is it still a 4gb file, but in 1gb chunks??

Thanks for your input!

1. DVDShrink can output VOB files of more than 1 gb. But it's not recommended as LUK says.

2. DVDShrink --> Edit-->Preferences -->Output Files -->Tick the box "Split VOB files into 1 GB chunks (recommended)" . This should be on by default. if it's not TICK IT ;) Press OK.

I guess in practice it doesn't make much difference because even though the vob files are normally limited to 1GB in size, once they're on the disc they're accessed as one virtual large chunk of data and not really as individual files.

I haven't every actually tested ImgBurn with them like that though so you're kinda lucky that it just worked :)

It's said that the 1GB pieces is needed for stand alone players. I tested a disc that had the main movie in the same VOB file some time ago and no playback problems on my player. Might only be an issue for very old players.

Some software programs doesn't like VOB files bigger than 1GB, such as PgcEdit.

:)

Thanks for your input. I suppose either way, as long as it's working - I'm happy! :)

It's said that the 1GB pieces is needed for stand alone players. I tested a disc that had the main movie in the same VOB file some time ago and no playback problems on my player. Might only be an issue for very old players.

Some software programs doesn't like VOB files bigger than 1GB, such as PgcEdit.

:)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.