AD-5200 & AD-7200

tom942

Hello,

My old NEC 3540A has died. Well, the truth is that it has died to burn DVD+R DL properly (it gives me errors at layer break), so I have bought a Pioneer 116 and it seems to work fine (by now).

I'm thinking in buy another drive, this time an Optiarc (I thought in buy a Samsung 202/203, but I have discarded after read some threads in the forum) and replace my DVD-ROM Toshiba 1912 (I use it to rip DVD's an CD's mainly), with it.

Where I live, in the shops that I have asked, it is easier to find AD-5200 than AD-7200.

So, is it a good burner?, is it true tha it has the same hardware than 7200 except that it doesn

From what I can understand the 5200 is more or less a 7200 without support for DVD-RAM.

I have a AD-7200A and it's a great reader and writer. I use it as a reader as my Pioneer 115D is a bit greater as writer.

:)

Looks like you are getting plenty of support there too :(

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f86/ad-5200-ad-7200-a-263574/

I don't think the 5200 is a rebadged Lite-On or L&D wouldn't be supplying modified firmware for it ~ http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/en/Optiarc-AD-5200A/

I don't remember the 5200 getting much praise in it's hay day, but the 7200 has recieved a lot of attention as you can see. Also the 7200 are getting hard to find in the states at the usual spots and I would look for them to be hard to find world over soon. I'm surprised the 5200's can still be found. I personally wouldn't get anything less than a 7200, but that is just my opinion.

Same hardware as seen below :

Thanks for your answer LOCOENG :).

I found AD-7203A (beige) at the same price than AD-5200A (black), so I have asked for it.

I hope next week to have it, and finally have one of the famous 7200/7203 series :).

Regards :).

• 3 weeks later...
My old NEC 3540A has died. Well, the truth is that it has died to burn DVD+R DL properly (it gives me errors at layer break), so I have bought a Pioneer 116 and it seems to work fine (by now).

I'm thinking in buy another drive, this time an Optiarc (I thought in buy a Samsung 202/203, but I have discarded after read some threads in the forum) and replace my DVD-ROM Toshiba 1912 (I use it to rip DVD's an CD's mainly), with it.

So, is it a good burner?, is it true tha it has the same hardware than 7200 except that it doesn

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.