Very poor volume on dvd's

Gardenier

ImgBurn has been working very well, and I am quite pleased with the results, except that I need to use full volume on the player in order to hear any sound from the movie, and that sometimes is still quite low. What settings do I need to change? I am using a new dvd burn drive and Verbatim DVD's.

• 4 months later...

I was just browsing this forum for the same problem.

Burning fantastic, but sound is poor. I have to adjust my DVD-player/TV volume from a normal 23 to about 55 to hear any sound.

I also use high quality original blank DVD's. Burning is done on 3 different computers with each 2 (new) DVD burners.

Just to check what is wrong, I have used a different program to burn a couple of DVD's. The problem

is gone. I got sound with an equal volume to that of my DVD-player/TV volume.

Am I missing something in the answer of Lightning?

The volume could be changed if your burning tool converts to a different format or whatever. (In fact, it doesn't even have to change the volume. Your player might just boost the volume for a given type of disc)

ImgBurn burns as-is (it's a burning tool, not a conversion one) and so as I said before, this is nothing to do with ImgBurn.

I was just browsing this forum for the same problem.

Burning fantastic, but sound is poor. I have to adjust my DVD-player/TV volume from a normal 23 to about 55 to hear any sound.

I also use high quality original blank DVD's. Burning is done on 3 different computers with each 2 (new) DVD burners.

Just to check what is wrong, I have used a different program to burn a couple of DVD's. The problem

is gone. I got sound with an equal volume to that of my DVD-player/TV volume.

Am I missing something in the answer of Lightning?

Burning WHAT ?... DVD's ( MPEG2 ) ac3 5.1/2.1 or downmixed to stereo on your playing equpiment or AVI DIVX XVID MP4 ..... A burning program has no control on sound (VOLUME) only your DVD PLAYER /TV /AMP.....

I fully agree that a burning program got no control over the sound. It burns whatever we ask it to burn.

To answer the question. I am burning movies (audio_ts + video_ts files) with ac 5.1 sound, so I am not talking about

conversions from a 4.6 Gb movie to for instance a 700Mb avi. I would understand the overall quality loss.

But anyway thanks for your responces.

if you run your files thru a decent dvd authoring program, you should have the option to increase the volume level in settings.

I know convertxtodvd has this feature. Its usually called audio gain, or audio boost. This will solve your problem.

I fully agree that a burning program got no control over the sound. It burns whatever we ask it to burn.

To answer the question. I am burning movies (audio_ts + video_ts files) with ac 5.1 sound, so I am not talking about

conversions from a 4.6 Gb movie to for instance a 700Mb avi. I would understand the overall quality loss.

But anyway thanks for your responces.

ac3 5.1 is best used on 5.1 amp (decoder) speakers etc with sub going thru dvd to tv will downmix to stereo.

Some options in dvd player can make the sound worse if not set up correctly so try them out.. eg make sue it is set to downmix to stereo, that dynamic compression or whatever its called is set to off, a night mode is also set to off... look under spdif and raw PCM settings on dvd player...also take of any effects in use in dvd player like equaliser ,pop jazz, etc, do the same for TV and do not have text or clear speech enabled on tv or any effects ...

You might get a better job from ac3-2.1 when choosing soundtracks for movie when you're shrinking them authoring etc so if you have been ditching ac-3 2:1 then include it and choose from dvd remote on playback or if you are always using sound thru tv etc then ditch the 5.1 and use 2.1 instead.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.