Recommend DVD Drive For Scanning ?

Aten

Ive read through bunch of threads and found three that were kind of useful:

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtop...660&hl=pipo

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtop...548&hl=pipo

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtop...107&hl=pipo

However, some of the threads were old and i want to buy relatively new burner that has excellent burning/scanning features.

Are most of them the same or do others simply excel interms of PIPO, Jitter accuracy? Looks like Liteon are the ones to buy? Any paticular model that works consistently well with DVDinfopro?

Also is it important to clean the inside of the drive over time as im wondering if dust can effect the scan rating?

TIA ;)

Added:

Thankyou for moving this thread to Chat section.

Half asleep when i posted this. Soz...

Edited by Rubicant

I have a Lite-On Lite-On DH-20A3H that I use for scanning purpose. I don't use it for burning with +R media as you get the PMA update failures.

For burning purpose I use a Pioneer. The Optiarc AD-720xx serie is also nice for burning purpose.

So I would buy a Lite-On for the scanning and another one for the burning task.

:)

Thanks Cynthia.

What do u think about the "Smart Write functions" on the new Lite on drives. Apparently u can get great burns on bad media. It is just hype or can i go back to buying cheap disk? My Taiyos and Verbs are looking a little worrried...hehe :P

They already have some advanced features on the latest models.

advanced03.png

In theory it should 'learn' the media you are using and produce better burns - in practice it's more of sales talk.

I also have the Lite-On iHAS120 model and I can't say I was impressed by it so it's currently only collecting dust.

I read a nice post over at another forum yesterday and I agree with him that Lite-On is focusing more on sales talk than actually provide support that makes the current burners worth buying for the true burning purpose.

There's no way these 24x drives will be out in March, which is a good thing because LiteOn should spend more time improving the firmware for the drives they already have out there, which are a joke that they can call them 22x drives, when they can't burn the 3 MIDs they allow to burn at 22x anyway. These drives can't even burn above 16x without jitter results that are way out of spec and there are bugs in the firmware that were fixed in the A3 series many months ago, but the firmware was split off to other development groups before the bugs were fixed and no bug reports are obviously passed between their development groups.

The problem is they are too busy wasting their time modifying their firmware and flashers to block our tools, when they should be focusing on their own image, which is fast becoming tarnished again, like in the times of the 3S series.

Personally I'm looking at other drives at the moment, because LiteOn is fast following in LGs footsteps (release a new model and forget the old model)...

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f44/liteon-24x-drives-265458/

@Cynthia

Yeah that article seems to sum up the typical mentality of large corporations. Look at Liteon's Website and they even hav that "Corp" affix. Whats the point ($$$) in releasing new drives when the older models need firmware updates to fix existing problems. I always found it annoying that any company would release a product that needed patching outside trial stages (Certain pc hardware, games, etc). Should work straight out the box!

@Spinningwheel

It quite incredible when you think about how 95% of blank dvd's are a piece of crap. Curious how these companies get past Quality standards agencies in the repsective countries. Typical user doesnt know about the differences in dyes and sacrifice quality for price. Most dvdrs, CDr-s are only expected to last on the shorterm. Perhaps that s the loophole.

One other thing. Is it ok to have two dvd drives on the same IDE channel? As long as u dont use both at the same time, that shouldnt affect speeds, burns or scan quality? At some point i plan to upgrade to a motherboard with more sata connections but im stuck with IDE for time being.

Edited by Rubicant

One other thing. Is it ok to have two dvd drives on the same IDE channel? As long as u dont use both at the same time, that shouldnt affect speeds, burns or scan quality? At some point i plan to upgrade to a motherboard with more sata connections but im stuck with IDE for time being.

I have two burners attached to the same IDE cable. No issues.

:)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.